corner corner Case Histories

Case Histories
by Kate Atkinson | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by ardachy of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 6/18/2008

status (set by Xana): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by ardachy from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Purchased from the Puffin Pool charity shop in Dingwall, Scotland.

Journal Entry 2 by ardachy from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, July 18, 2009

I approached this book with interest having read and enjoyed 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' by the same author but having been unable to get into 'Human Croquet'. This one is quite grim in places although not lacking in some humour , it is rather complex and perhaps best read in large chunks as you could easily lose the thread if read in short sessions.

Journal Entry 3 by ardachy at on Thursday, August 27, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (8/28/2009 UTC) at

Posted to Releanna as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReleannawing from Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

WOW! what a totally unexpected and wonderful surprise :)
I have read and quite enjoyed "Human Croquet" and am looking forward to reading this one!

thank you so much, Ardachy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingReleannawing from Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on Saturday, November 07, 2009

this was a very captivating read. I liked how the different plots were woven together. It is a tragedy and a comedy, sometimes rather depressing, sometimes rather funny. Very well written, very vivid characters

Journal Entry 6 by wingReleannawing at To another bookcrosser, Pay-It-Forward-RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 22, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/22/2010 UTC) at To another bookcrosser, Pay-It-Forward-RABCK -- Controlled Releases

have fun!

Journal Entry 7 by wingApoloniaXwing from Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on Friday, January 29, 2010

Just received this book in the mail - through the European Pay It forward Bookrelay.
I never read anthing by Kate Atkinson - and finally here's my chance, brilliant.
Thanks for offering it at the bookrelay, Releanna!

Journal Entry 8 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Friday, March 25, 2011

This book has been hanging around on Mt. TBR far too long, but finally I got around to reading it. And found it quite unputdownable (no chance NOT to read it in large chunks). Well written, very powerful. There is so much pain and grief and sadness in this novel - not even the detective is spared, but Atkinson is never overdoing it. And interspersed it with subtle humour. The stories are tricky, with some twists and turns, details are withhold, then suddenly turn up, but then after a while things aren't to hard to guess. And maybe she shouldn't have given the dates and ages. The protagonists make up for it, great characterisations. Highly recommendable.
29 June: Reserved for Moriquen.
(Xana was also interested, but you were 50 minutes earlier, Moriquen! If you don't mind passing it on....)

Journal Entry 9 by wingApoloniaXwing at Brugge, West-Vlaanderen / Flandre Occidentale Belgium on Saturday, July 09, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/16/2011 UTC) at Brugge, West-Vlaanderen / Flandre Occidentale Belgium

Given personally to Moriquen during the Brugge meet-up.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, July 16, 2011

Thanks for reserving it for me! And of course I have no problems sending it to Xana after I've finished with it. I'd be more then happy to do so!

Journal Entry 11 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hmmm, this book didn't really do it for me at all. Some of the plots were very obvious while others were dreary and uninteresting. It's a shame, because I had rather high hopes for it. Perhaps there was a little too much middle aged drama in it for me. (All of the characters seem on the verge of some kind of midlifecrisis and they're dealing with it very badly.)
But thanks for handing it to me ApoloniaX. You never know until you've tried it! I'll try to contact Xana again to see if she still wants the book!

Journal Entry 12 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, March 22, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/22/2013 UTC) at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On its way to Xana! I hope you'll enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 13 by Xana at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Thursday, March 28, 2013

It arrived safe & sound! Many thanks Moniquen for remembering that I really wanted to read it :)