corner corner Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician

by Daniel Wallace | Literature & Fiction
Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on Sunday, June 15, 2008

status (set by KathyB25): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Sunday, June 15, 2008

Unabridged on 9 CDs [original], approx. 10.25 hours - read by Various Performers

Book Description:
The author of the enchanting Big Fish moves to Doubleday with a literary novel that is more sophisticated and accomplished than anything he's written before. Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician is told in Daniel Wallace's signature style, where everything is somehow magical and nothing is ever exactly what it seems. This story is set in the American South in the early to mid-1900s and tells the charming yet haunting story of Henry Walker, whose life is changed forever when he crosses paths with the Devil, who teaches him magic and then steals the one thing that means the most to him. The tale begins in the 1940s, with Jeremiah Musgrove's Chinese Circus, where Henry is the resident magician. Despite his utter failure actually performing magic, Henry is a novelty with crowds because he is black with emerald green eyes. Early on, Henry meets trouble in the form of three angry (white) teenagers who steal him away and threaten his life. In his absence, Henry's story is told through the voices of his friends from the circus: Jenny the Ossified Girl, Rudy the Strong Man, and JJ the Barker, each of them sharing what they know of Henry's life--a tale that is simultaneously haunting, spell-binding, heartbreaking, and unbelievable.

Journal Entry 2 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, June 30, 2008

This was an OK listen but I was really disappointed in the ending. It just ended abruptly and left a few loose ends.

Journal Entry 3 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, August 11, 2008

Sending off to msjoanna who selected it from the Audio VBB over on bookobsessed.com

Journal Entry 4 by wingmsjoannawing from Columbia, Missouri USA on Thursday, September 18, 2008

Arrived in NYC. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmsjoannawing at Columbia, Missouri USA on Sunday, August 22, 2010

I enjoyed the audiobook recording of this book. The book has multiple readers, which nicely kept the parts and characters separate in my mind. The story was engrossing and the characters interesting, quirky, and well-drawn. I'm not sure this book will be particularly memorable for me, but I enjoyed it while listening to it and would definitely read another book by this author.

This book will soon be in the mail to Catwoman, who selected it way back in February from the audiobook VBB on Book Obsessed. Sorry for the long delay.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmsjoannawing at Columbia, Missouri USA on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (8/25/2010 UTC) at Columbia, Missouri USA

This book is now in the mail to catwoman. Sorry for the long delay, but wanted to send this along with another audiobook.

Journal Entry 7 by Catwoman at Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Thursday, September 09, 2010

Received in the mail today. Thank you for sharing this audiobook with me.

Journal Entry 8 by Catwoman at Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

I was somewhat impatient with this book, but I think that is my fault, not the author's. I didn't like the indirectness of each character's story. I wanted them just to tell me about Henry and piece the story together faster. I didn't like the ending. I really wanted it to be a happy one which was unreasonable given the rest of the story. Again, I think this was my problem not the author's.

Journal Entry 9 by Catwoman at Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/4/2011 UTC) at Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada

Mailed to mellion108 today.

Journal Entry 10 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thanks, Catwoman! The book is here and I look forward to listening to it.

Beautiful BookCrossing label on this, by the way.

Journal Entry 11 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Sunday, December 11, 2011

What a compelling story! I really enjoyed this one, and I think I especially liked it because of the multiple readers. I think that made it a bit easier to keep track of who was doing what and I bet I would have been more confused by the narrative if I had read this in print.

This is such an emotional story—the characters love big, hate big, feel big, and fear big. Henry Walker grabbed my heart from the start. I remember reading Big Fish and being so caught up in the quirkiness and magic of that tale, and I'm really glad I got the opportunity to listen to Mr. Sebastian as well (I have to admit that the title is what made me want to read this!).

KathyB chose this one from the Audiobook VBB and I'll be shipping this to her on Monday, Dec. 12. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sent to KathyB on Monday, Dec. 12.

Journal Entry 13 by KathyB25 at Arlington, Texas USA on Saturday, December 17, 2011

received today from Mellion