corner corner Duty and Desire: Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman

Duty and Desire: Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman
by Pamela Aidan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingUrfinwing of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, June 12, 2008

status (set by Urfin): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingUrfinwing from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, June 12, 2008

Who is Fitzwilliam Darcy?
This is book 2 of a series of three that tell the story of P&P from Darcy's perspective.
In it Darcy tries to find another woman "of his own station as beautiful and blessed with wit as Elizabeth Bennet, whose charms would banish her from his mind and displace her in his heart."

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman I and III plus the fred

Journal Entry 2 by wingUrfinwing from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The [BookRing] looks like this now:

1. Leseschaf (NRW)
13. Stella-del-Nord (Niedersachsen)
14. BerlinBookworm (Berlin)
15. erinacea (Berlin)
16. nach Hause

Journal Entry 3 by wingLeseschafwing from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, July 12, 2008

Book 2 arrived safely. Thanks. I read it reveals something about the life outside P & P - I'm curious, what the author makes of it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingLeseschafwing from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, July 28, 2008

I can undertand that P.A. wanted to fill the time missnig in P & P and it's a nice reading, but: this is not Mr. Darcy from P & P. He dances, does charades, is charming and playing Sherlock Holmes. I really think it's too much of all. But I hope to return to the real one again in the third volume, waiting for me at home.
This second one'll travel again asap

Journal Entry 5 by Annieselan from Fulda, Hessen Germany on Friday, August 01, 2008

The second volume of Mr. Darcys Adventures arrived today and I´ll start reading as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 6 by Annieselan from Fulda, Hessen Germany on Sunday, August 10, 2008

Leseschaf´s Opion is very similar to mine. I don´t think Mr. Darcy would ever behave like this. There were some very sweet scenes when he thinks about Lizzie, but I still can´t imagine him to do so. Georgiana has changed a lot, too. I can´t believe that she would stand up to her brother the way she does here, because in the end of P & P she´s still very shy and amazed about Lizzie teasing her brother.
I liked the storyline, but I´ve missed the Bennets and also the Bingleys. The new characters were nice, but not as nice as the known ones. I didn`t like the mystery-and-Sherlock-Holmes-stuff.

I´m longing for Volume III, which I believe is the most interesting book of the series. Thank you for letting me join this ring, urfin. Mr. Bennet will receive the book soon.

Journal Entry 7 by Annieselan at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany on Monday, August 11, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (8/11/2008 UTC) at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany

Auf dem Weg zu Mr.Bennett - viel Spaß beim Lesen!

Journal Entry 8 by MrBennet from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Thursday, August 14, 2008

The second Mr. Darcy came in yesterday - thanks a lot for sending it so quickly, Annieselan! I'll read it in my holidays :o)

Update 11.09.08:
Whew - this volume is crap indeed! I cannot at all recognize Darcy as the character Jane Austen has described. The other characters as well as the story are pulp fiction level. Not even Fletcher is witty this time - I quite liked him in the first volume. The story is made up like a gothic novel, and it's rather boring - the author's verbal skills are not at all convincing...

Nevertheless I'll read the third volume (I hope the author can make up a better story when sticking closer to the original...)

Journal Entry 9 by MrBennet at Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (9/23/2008 UTC) at Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book started running towards tourvel today.

Journal Entry 10 by tourvel from Alsdorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, October 02, 2008

Buch ist angekommen!

2.11.08

Das Buch fing ja nett an, aber dann fand ich es doch etwas zu übertrieben. Diese Grusel-Schmacht-Abenteuer-Klamotte war nicht mein Fall.

Journal Entry 11 by tourvel at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, November 21, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (11/21/2008 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Ist endlich auf dem Weg zu J-sama.

Journal Entry 12 by J-sama from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, November 24, 2008

Heute wohlbehalten in Begleitung von Teil Drei angekommen.
Ich entschuldige mich schon Mal im Vorraus, dass ich die Bücher noch ein bisschen bei mir beherbergen muss. Aber keine Sorge, sie sind Wohl auf.

Journal Entry 13 by J-sama from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Sunday, January 11, 2009

Nice, Nice. A bit unusual but not bad. As I said in Part 1 I tend to see the Aidan Books as a work of their own, only loosely connected with Austens P&P. Although I would have imagined Darcy as a different person than described in this part but well. He is still somewhat unsocial although playing charades doesn't seem typical. I still liked the interaction with his sister and his ponderings about Elizabeth.

Thank you for the ring and sorry for the wait. And now I will read the third part.

Journal Entry 14 by J-sama at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, January 15, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/15/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Sachsen Germany

mailed it to greeneyemoony today since part three will occupy me for a few more days

Journal Entry 15 by greeneyemoony from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 17, 2009

Jupee! Something nice to read for the weekend!
Thank you J-sama for sending it on so quickly.

Journal Entry 16 by greeneyemoony from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, January 19, 2009

Very entertaining 2nd part.
I agree that Mr Darcy playing charades is very hard to imagine and that it is highly unlikely that Georgiana stands up to her brother the way she does at the beginning of the book but I liked the story nevertheless. It was very entertaining to read if you didn't expect the characters to be faithful to the Jane Austen ones.
Looking very much forward to part 3.

Journal Entry 17 by greeneyemoony at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/29/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Travels on to SaschaBWK

Journal Entry 18 by SaschaBWk from Hamburg - Barmbek, Hamburg Germany on Friday, January 30, 2009

Has just arrived.

Journal Entry 19 by SaschaBWk from Hamburg - Barmbek, Hamburg Germany on Sunday, February 01, 2009

The novel starts boring and ends ridicolous. I stopped reading everything after the first chapters and skimmed the rest until it got really funny. I had to laugh out loud about some of the developements. In the hands of a more talented storyteller all this could be a strange little gem of a story but Aidan makes a complete mess of it.

Journal Entry 20 by Tiikeri from Friedrichstadt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Saturday, February 28, 2009

When commenting on part one I just realised that I haven't journaled this one yet - so sorry! It arrived here about two weeks ago and I just started reading.

Journal Entry 21 by Tiikeri from Friedrichstadt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Friday, April 03, 2009

Finally I'm done with this one - more than once it wasn't easy for me to keep on reading ... I think the story is pretty far fetched, if there's a connection to Austen's work at all (apart from the names) it's rather found in "Northanger Abbey" than in P&P. Could have been a nice story on its own though.

Anyway, as some of the others I also hope that volume 3 will become better again as it has to stick closer to the original. Thanks for sharing and sending.

Journal Entry 22 by DA-Cameron from Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, April 11, 2009

Das Buch kam heute mit der Post. Danke! :-)

2. 5. 2009:
I finished the book a few days ago. The first part was as good as the previous book. The love between Darcy and Georgiana is nicely described, even though Georgiana seemed more self-confident to me here than I remember her from P&P.
However, oncde Darcy set off to that house party, the book bekame just another Regency novel, like heaps of others I read before. The intrigue around Darcy's host and his siblings was, in my opinion, mediocre.

Journal Entry 23 by DA-Cameron at Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/5/2009 UTC) at Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Das Buch ist unterwegs zur nächsten Station. Vel Spaß! :-)

Journal Entry 24 by wingdschinnywing on Thursday, May 07, 2009

Heute angekommen, vielen Dank!

Journal Entry 25 by wingdschinnywing on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Well, it certainly has nothing to do with Mr. Darcy or Jane Austen. If you read it as a seperate book it is "tolerable" ;-) Even though the ending seems a bit over the top.

Fletcher has, willingly or unwillingly, some characteristics of Jeeves from P.G. Wodehouse I found. And what really annoyed me was that Lady FELICIA is sometimes suddenly called Lady FELICITY. Please, at least get the names of your characters right...

Will contact Rochester74 to send it on asap.
18.5. It's on its way today.

Journal Entry 26 by wingRochester74wing from Gießen, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The book arrived savely today. Thank you.

Journal Entry 27 by wingRochester74wing from Gießen, Hessen Germany on Sunday, July 19, 2009

I had a hard time getting through this book. I am not really interisted in Darcy's life without Elizabeth. And I do not think that he would have acted like that. Georgiana was too selfconfident and wouldn't have talked liked that to her brother.
I mixed up the characters from the houseparty all the time. In the beginning it was really boring. But this houseparty story got a bit more interesting, when Lady Sylvanie's evil character became clear.

Still I am looking forward to read the third book, because Darcy and Elizabeth will have to meet again.

Journal Entry 28 by wingRochester74wing from Gießen, Hessen Germany on Monday, August 03, 2009

The book will be send to Stella-del-Nord tomorrow.

Journal Entry 29 by Stella-del-Nord from Goslar, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, August 16, 2009

Das Buch ist wollbehalten in Begleitung von Band 3 bei mir eingetroffen. Leider muss ich es wohl noch ein wenig zurückstellen, da Band 1 noch nicht bei mir war....

Nachtrag:

Aus akutem Zeitmangel bin ich der Empfehlung einiger Vorschreiber/innen gefolgt und habe das Buch nur auszugsweise gelesen. Von daher kann ich keine Bewertung abgeben....

Es reist in Begleitung von Band 3 weiter zu BerlinBookworm....

Journal Entry 30 by BerlinBookworm from Amman, Amman Jordan on Saturday, December 12, 2009

The books have returned to Berlin and I'm excited to read them (although a bit worried when reading the previous JEs). I just loved "Letters from Pemberley" and hope that the Darcy-books go in the same direction.

Journal Entry 31 by BerlinBookworm at on Friday, October 22, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (10/23/2010 UTC) at

Wow, this was really, really bad! I mostly enjoyed part one of Aidan's Darcy trilogy but this book was really intolerable. I don't really care what Darcy might have done in Elisabeth's absence. I followed the advice by some of the previous readers and stopped reading after about 50 pages. Skimming through the book, there was virtually nothing that attracted my attention and made me want to read more thoroughly. The lengthy descriptions were exhausting! And so cheesy. They made me think of someone who has just taken a creative writing class.
For future readers: You may well skip this one and immedaitely go to book 3. It gets better . Still by far not as good as "Letters from Pemberley".

Journal Entry 32 by erinacea at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Friday, October 29, 2010

Fetched from the post office today.

I don't actually plan on reading this book (as I pretty much already decided after the first part, but the previous readers' comments only strengthen said decision), but seeing how I'm going to read book 3 I'll probably skim a couple of pages at least.

Thanks for sending it along!

Journal Entry 33 by erinacea at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Monday, November 01, 2010

Against my better judgement, I invested a few of Sunday's hours to skim through the story, then at about the last third or fourth of the book settled down to read in earnest. To my own astonishment, I've got to admit that I rather enjoyed the read. No, the characters had little to no connection to P&P and I rather missed Bingley, but once I got down to ignoring all that, it was a surprisingly enjoyable cheap little horror tale. Complete with a mysterious lady of doubtful nature, an even more mysterious elderly woman in the background, spooky legends, snow storms, and black magic rituals. *laughs* Even the angry peasants armed with torches and pitchforks! Perfect for Halloween. :D

Only the main character, coincidentally sharing the name of a famous novel's hero, didn't really fit into the mix. But then the story's secret hero was obviously Darcy's footman Fletcher. I loved the scene where he admitted to his romantic aspirations. Very sweet, and something I'd anticipated from book 1.

I'll hand this book back to Urfin during November's Berlin meet-up.

Journal Entry 34 by wingUrfinwing at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thanks, erinacea, for returning this to me.
And thank you all for your (different:) JEs :o)