corner corner The Third Policeman (flamingo sixties classic)

The Third Policeman (flamingo sixties classic)
by Flann O'Brien | Literature & Fiction
Registered by foxed of Bedford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on 6/9/2008

status (set by ao): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by foxed from Bedford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 09, 2008

After At Swim Two Birds, the Best of Flann (from Strabane): 'a pint of plain's your only man'
(See www.hellshaw.com/flann/pint.html)

'Is it about a bicycle?' (the book's final sentence) - well yes, a whole succession of bicycles and their role in crime and its solution by the distinctly odd policemen of O'Brien's tale, in an Ireland aslant.

Reminds me by turns of Russell Hoban's Kleinzeit and the film Being John Malkovich.
Funny, dark, dreamlike, unpredictable.

Journal Entry 2 by foxed from Bedford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

In the post to ao - enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by ao from McVille, North Dakota USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thanks so much! Received today. Wow that was fast. He is a mad genius this O'Brien, I can see why Joyce and Beckett liked him so. Familiar words don't seem as familiar when he orders them. Small tics of adjectives that hit some back teeth nerves. And you're right, from the little I've read, it does seem like Hoban. And its full of bicycles! I love bicycles! Thanks again for this, it looks masterful. And for the postcard, it looks lovely there. I really do have to visit.
Adam