corner corner Love without Hope

Love without Hope
by Rodney Hall | Literature & Fiction
Registered by DrCris of Templestowe, Victoria Australia on 6/4/2008

status (set by jubby): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

This book is being registered for the Miles Franklin Shortlist Challenge (2008). For details, see my bookshelf.

Blurb:
"Mrs Shoddy is devastated when a bushfire on her country property kills her beloved horses. Living alone, and unable to cope, she is commited to a mental hospital where she has nothing but the memories in her head, and the words she weaves around them, to keep her from going insane. She conjures up her long-lost husband Martin, transforms a deluge into music and , among other marvels, discovers compassion in the heartless as she faces her future.

This hope-obsessed novel, with its savage vignettes of small-town malice, is a hymn of praise to human tenderness, the power of memory and the power of music. It confirms Rodney Hall's status as one of out finest and most acclaimed writers."

The Bookring
I am going to read this as soon as I read the three bookrings ahead of it on my pile. I hate sending out books unread, as I then miss the chance to understand everyone's opinion.

The order after that will be:
1. tqd
2. Fleebo
3. jubby
4. livrecache
5. freelunch
6. Back to DrCris

If you would like to join onto the end of this AUS-only ring, please PM me.

Journal Entry 2 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Magic. Beautiful. I read this book at a time when I am not reading much, and I managed to read about half of it while waiting for my son to go to sleep. I just picked it up to read a few pages to distract me, and I got completely captivated and the pages melted away. Two days ago, I picked it up to start reading it properly (having finished the books ahead of it in line) and I just devoured it.

This book ties together small town over-involvement and the blurred line between fantasies and dangerous unrealities. There are some wonderful characters - people I want to be, people I want to protect, and those I want to nominate for an award. And there are a great cast of "baddies" who are complex, and maybe not so bad if you look at them from another direction.

First 10 star book in a while, and I am conscious of the fact that I am the first in the ring to read this. But I don't mind if you all disagree - this book made my week and month. (But I really want others to love it as much as I did.)

Journal Entry 3 by DrCris at Heidelberg, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/19/2008 UTC) at Heidelberg, Victoria Australia

I just realised before I closed the postpack that this is going to tqd, who is also getting one of my books from Oz VBB. It is on its way!

Journal Entry 4 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thanks DrCris! I am looking forward to this one after your comments!

Now to make some time to read. Er. I'll get back to you on that one...

Journal Entry 5 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 16, 2008

A beautiful book. (Although sometimes the language was a bit try-hard: "her eyes grow used to the element she has them for" stumped me for a while, until I could finally read it as "her eyes grow used to the light". And later on "mulch it with mucilaginous and treacherous side-slipping logic" had me gobsmacked with its excessive alliteration.)

As DrCris said, all the characters are wonderful. None of them are clear-cut baddies, they all think they're doing the right thing (but does it make a difference if you think you're doing the right thing if you're doing the wrong thing?), or have good motivations (the road to Hell is paved with them), or are just confused and caught up in the middle. In particular, I absolutely adored the character of Dr Archibald Parker. I think we could have a whole 'nother book written just about him.

I didn't find this a clear-cut book: probably what happens when your main character is suffering from dementia (I didn't think that was a question: she did seem to be quite thoroughly confused at times, but that doesn't mean she deserved her treatment over at the Courts of Lunacy). Were her horses really killed? Did Martin ever really exist? Did she really have dementia? (No, Yes, and Yes, were my answers; but I'm sure other people have other ideas, and that's what makes this such an interesting book.)

Thanks for the chance to read this book, DrCris! I'll pass it on to Fleebo next time I see her.

Journal Entry 6 by tqd at Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/10/2009 UTC) at Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia

Passing on to Fleebo tonight at Bookdrinks! Sorry about all the delays, I kept on forgetting it! My bad.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by Fleebo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Depressing title... Thanks for passing it on, tqd.

Journal Entry 8 by Fleebo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, March 07, 2009

Not bad... there was a good deal more plot packed into this little book than in most prizewinners. However, on one hand I was glad that it was short, and on the other hand, what kind of ending was that? Nobody got any kind of comeuppance, for good or ill, and it was unlikely that they would, not even Russell. The farm was likely lost regardless of shady dealings or a committal, because there was money owed. The sudden result of Dr. Parker's letter was either ludicrous, or I missed some essential explanation, or else Parker was in the wrong too, having hidden his contacts from Lorna until then.
The escape was good reading though!

Journal Entry 9 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Picked up from Fleebo this evening over bookdrinks.

Thank you.

Journal Entry 10 by jubby at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/24/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sorry little book. I've been falling behind with my reading, so have sent you on unread.

I hope that Livrecache has more luck.

Thank you for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 11 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, April 06, 2009

Arrived safely today. I look forward to reading it, although my TBR is rather high too just now, but I've got my bookrings teetering on the summit.

Journal Entry 12 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, April 10, 2009

I had the luxury of reading this book in one sitting. I was totally engrossed, and for the most part I loved the language. And I loved the fact that we're not we're really sure of what's real and what's fantasy. I found the treatment of 'lunatics' appalling. I spent some time working as a psychiatric 'nurse' between school and university; I was on one of the back wards. I've seen what was done to the Mrs Shoddy's of this world.

I pondered over the title. It is depressing. But then if you have no love, is that not worse?

I'll send this on to freelunch during the week, I hope.

Journal Entry 13 by livrecache at Melbourne, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 17, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/15/2009 UTC) at Melbourne, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the book's next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Sunday, April 19, 2009

received today, thanks livrecache... and thanks too to DrCris for making this book available.

Journal Entry 15 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I nearly put this book down several times in the first 100 pages, driven to distraction by its excessive alliteration which made it hard for me to follow in places - which could in part have been due to Lorna's dementia. I'm glad I stuck with it though.

I have another book due to go to DrCris soon so I'll hold this one and send both together in a week or two...

Journal Entry 16 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Sunday, June 07, 2009

posted to DrCris on June 9th

Journal Entry 17 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Sunday, June 14, 2009

Arrived home safely, although wrapped up in a straightjacket. And it came bearing gifts! Thanks freelunch.

Journal Entry 18 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 14, 2010

Received in the post today - thank you DrCris.

I will read this book yet...!