corner corner The Night Wanderer: A Native Gothic Novel

The Night Wanderer: A Native Gothic Novel
by Drew Hayden Taylor | Literature & Fiction
Registered by NorthernLights of Erlangen, Bayern Germany on 6/3/2008

status (set by OBCZ-Dreieck): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by NorthernLights from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Native legends tell of demons and unspeakable evil in the woods around Otter Lake. Tiffany Hunter has lived there all of her sixteen years and has yet to encounter anything sinister.
But what's with the mysterious lodger her father has taken in? He's a little creepy, sleeping in the day and prowling at night.
For the present, Tiffany is too preoccupied trying to figure out what's going on with her white boyfriend and handling the relentless battles with her father.
Then, in the midnight woods, a chilling encounter with the strange lodger changes everything for them both.

Acclaimed writer Drew Hayden Taylor has created a blend of coming-of-age novel and thriller.

Journal Entry 2 by NorthernLights from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Thursday, June 19, 2008

This is going to be a ring.

UlrikeW
RikkiDD
Falmouth
Tiamat-muc
back home

26.10.08:
European tour participants: (the order may be changed)
LaPitchoune (Finland)
faerie-glen (Germany)
Kiki66 (Germany)
anana3322 (Germany)
???

Journal Entry 3 by NorthernLights from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Friday, June 27, 2008

The Night Wanderer is on his way...

Journal Entry 4 by AdoraBelle86 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, June 27, 2008

und gut angekommen.
Hab es am Wochenende gelesen und finde es sehr schön und traurig.

An RikkiDD weitergeschickt.

Journal Entry 5 by wingRikkiDDwing from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The book arrived today, but it still has to wait for two other books to be read. But I'm sure it wont take too long.
--------------------------------------------
edit 09. July 2008
And it didn't take long to read such a good book.
The plot is very interesting and carries the main problems the Native Indians have to face nowadays. I'm familiar with the region Otter Lake in Ontario amd very interested in the Native People and I enjoyed the describtion of the land and the people.

Journal Entry 6 by wingRikkiDDwing at mailed to a fellow bookcrosser in N/A, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 11, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/11/2008 UTC) at mailed to a fellow bookcrosser in N/A, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Das Buch beginnt nun wieder seine Reise.

Journal Entry 7 by Falmouth from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, July 17, 2008

... and got here this very minute!!! Thanks for mailing it to me. I will start on it tonight, and I'm sure looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 8 by Falmouth from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, July 20, 2008

I adore the story very much and couldn't put the book down, which I actually read in one go. It is a very recommandable story, with fascinating characters, not at all the typical kind of vampire story. The author has set up an accurate portray of a nowadays teenager, being bored with her life, constantly struggling with her father's rules, feeling that school and her everyday routine just sucks.
As soon as I have Tiamat-mucs address the book will travel on.

------------

The night wanderer starts his journey to Tiamat-muc today, Monday, July 21st, 2008. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 9 by Tiamat-muc from München, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wow, this was fast! I didn't expected the book before september. But ok, I will finish my current book, have another read chicklit and then start this one

10. August: started reading

12. August: This obviously is a book for the youngsters - and I don't like it when a vampire commits suicide. But story and language were nice and easy to understand, so girls from 11 to 21: read it (c:

Journal Entry 10 by Tiamat-muc at München, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/20/2008 UTC) at München, Bayern Germany

Reist wieder heim

Journal Entry 11 by NorthernLights from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Thursday, August 21, 2008

The book has come home.
Thanks to all its readers!

Journal Entry 12 by NorthernLights from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Night Wanderer is on his way up north...

Journal Entry 13 by LaPitchoune from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 27, 2008

What a cute little adventure! I liked the overall Native feeling. I wish there could have been more such details. This book made me want to read more of DHT's books.

Journal Entry 14 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, December 05, 2008

Due to some pipe repair work in my house I’ve been staying away from home for a month now. However, I did visit there today and found this book waiting for me. Thanks, LaPitchoune!

Journal Entry 15 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, January 04, 2009

I’m amazed; never thought I’d like a vampire story but I did. I really enjoyed it! I liked the way it’s written. I liked all the Native stuff (just wish there would have been more), the glimpses of history here and there (ditto), the plot (nothing scary in it, I think that’s amazing), and all the four—or should I say five?—main characters (wasn’t too fond of Dale and Chucky, though ;)).
My reading experience was very enjoyable indeed. Thank you, NorthernLights!
I’m happy to know I have two more texts by Drew Hayden Taylor waiting to be read. :)

Earlier today, I PM’d ThursdayN and got her address. I’ll mail the book tomorrow.

EDIT Jan. 5, 2009. Mailed the book today. It should get to Sweden in 2 to 3 working days, which means that ThursdayN should get it by Friday this week.

guinaveve's 2009 KTMC #3.

Journal Entry 16 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Got it in the mail today. Will read asap. Thank you for sending it Tarna! =)

Journal Entry 17 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, January 18, 2009

I liked it! DHT is a really great writer and I would like to read more of his books. (For those of you that hasn't signed up for his plays yet - DO IT! It's definately worth it!)This book has a great plot and interesting characters with just enough quirkiness to make them feel real.

Thank you once again NorthernLights!

I have e-mailed babelfisk.

Journal Entry 18 by ThursdayN at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 23, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (1/23/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I mailed it today. Happy reading! =)

Journal Entry 19 by wingbabelfiskwing from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It arrived yesterday and I started reading it on the spot! So far I like it.

Journal Entry 20 by wingbabelfiskwing from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Friday, January 30, 2009

I really liked this! Finished it in three days. I could clearly remember what it was like to be 16 and the feeling of being misunderstood and deserted. And I felt sorry for Owl/Pierre. I liked the ending!!
I'm sending it on to Jannike.

Journal Entry 21 by Jannike from -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, February 12, 2009

The book arrived safely some time ago. I look forward to reading it! It is a good sign when readers finish a book in a few days.

Journal Entry 22 by Jannike from -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, February 22, 2009

A good story and easy reading. Not quite as scary as one should think from the title.
I will be sending the book to Haugtussa.

Journal Entry 23 by Jannike at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/24/2009 UTC) at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

Sendt til Haugtussa i posten.

Journal Entry 24 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, March 02, 2009

The book is in Stavanger.

Journal Entry 25 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, March 29, 2009

To be such an easy read it has taken me rather a long time to read a book. I've read it in bed and to be quite honest I kept falling asleep!
I had high expectations of the book, both due to the native Indian side of it & because I love vampires (being a dedicated Anne Rice fan!). This book though, did not really live up to the expectations I had of it. To me it ended up being a growing-up novel, and I'm not to fond of reading about whining teenage girls!

I'll PM the next reader, and hopefully the book will be on the road again very soon.

Journal Entry 26 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Received today !

Two books to read before starting this one !

Thanks for sharing

\o/

Journal Entry 27 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Friday, April 17, 2009

A nice read.

i don't know a lot of Canadian writers but each time I discover one, it's always a good moment to spare the time with ;-)

Journal Entry 28 by DevilKitty from Camogli, Liguria Italy on Saturday, May 16, 2009

The book has arrived safely in my hands! Thanks.

Journal Entry 29 by DevilKitty from Camogli, Liguria Italy on Friday, May 29, 2009

I have enjoyed this book very much; a Native vampire is intriguing and the story, though predictable and teenager oriented, is absolutely entertaining. Unusual atmospheres and setting for a classic gothic character make Taylor's work well worth reading. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Journal Entry 30 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

it was in my mailbox today. Thank you for sending it my way.
I'll put it with some friends, also written by Taylor, so the time will pass quickly for the book until I'm able to pick it up.
:) :)

July 11th 2009: Started reading and just found out that I'm reading a Vampire story... aaahhhh ;) ;) ;)

Journal Entry 31 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I enjoyed reading this story. When I signed up for the ring I wasn't sure about what to expect. I just knew I wanted to read more of Drew Hayden Taylor. This book was different from what I read by him before. It's a well written small scale story in a different setting than most of the vampire stories I read. What I like about this book is that it's not a vampire-story but that of a teenage girl with problems about growing up that are universal. The Wanderer plays a nice sideline story and tells us more about this places past. Nicely done.
There are also some parts of the writing that I did not like. It sometimes felt like Taylor wanted to bring in as much of his people's history as possible and described the grandmother's lack of a speaking partner and the language of the tribe to an extent that was unneccassary und unneeded for the story itself.

Thank you for letting me read this book. I greatly appreciate it.
Will hold it until the next reader may be found or until I've read all the borrowed books and can send it back home in good company.

Thanks.

Journal Entry 32 by Annadlx at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany on Sunday, July 19, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/20/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany

Will continue its journey tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks again for letting me be part of this ring. I enjoyed it, as always!

Save journey, dear book.

Journal Entry 33 by sternenwolf from Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on Thursday, July 23, 2009

The book arrived with todays mail! Thanks for sending at Annadlx...
I'm going to start reading this afternoon!

Journal Entry 34 by sternenwolf from Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on Sunday, July 26, 2009

I' ve just finisched reading "The Night wanderer" and have really enjoyed it.
Tiffany is a young native girl living in th reservation Otter Lake, but she got the same problems than every teenage girl all around the planet. School sucks, her mother's gone and her father doesn't understand anything about Tiffanys live. And then there appeares Pierre L'Errant, a visiter from Europe in the small community. Pierre is a little bit strange, wandering around at nights and sleeping all day, doesn't eat or drink something. Once they met at night and talk about many things and Pierre tells his story to Tiffany. Tiffany's feelings appeared familiar to me, even though I'm not six-teen anymore but I was, just a couple of years ago and also Pierres tiredness of living is described understandable for the reader. Also the reader learn a little bit of the Anishinabe way of living. I think I'm going to look to futher information of Anishinabe and Canadian Aboriginal.
As said early I really enjoyed the reading and also liked the design. The books was read as well for the 1 Year- 1 Land- Challenge for Canada.
Thanks for sharing it at NothernLights.

Travells to faerie-glen as soon as I got the adress.
Edit 31.07.: On its way!

Journal Entry 35 by faerie-glen from Weil am Rhein, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Very enjoyable read. Now on its way to Kiki66.

Journal Entry 36 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Friday, September 18, 2009

The Night Wanderer is now walking around in Gauting...

Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 37 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, September 28, 2009

I really like that!
Even my husband is reading it right now and wants to finish it before I send it - where? back home?
I wrote my "Facharbeit" in school about the Native Americans, so it was interesting to read
about their Canadian relatives. Some new facts (like the tax-free shopping), some old facts.
And the story itself was good!

Thanks for this book.

Journal Entry 38 by kiki66 at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/13/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Sorry it had to wait a little bit longer - but now
the book is on its way to the next reader!!

Have fun!

Journal Entry 39 by anana3322 from Böblingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, October 16, 2009

Arrived today. I will take my time, because I'm the last one on the list. I hope that's OK.

Update 27.11.2009:

I've just finished this wonderful book. It's great to read a totally different vampire story. I think almost every teenager has the same problems as Tiffany except for the vampire ;-)

Journal Entry 40 by NorthernLights from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Monday, December 07, 2009

The book is back home. Thanks for the safe journey.

Journal Entry 41 by NorthernLights at Dreieck (OBCZ) in Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/27/2012 UTC) at Dreieck (OBCZ) in Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany

ins Regal gestellt

Canada Day Release Challenge 2012

Journal Entry 42 by OBCZ-Dreieck at Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thank you!!