corner corner The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain

The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain
by Clare Naylor, Mimi Hare | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wolkenklang on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

status (set by wandering-B): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wolkenklang on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I REALLY enjoyed this novel!
I do read quite a bit of chick lit, but I am ususally picky about the content and smartness about a book... I don't like that many chick lit books and am usually disappointed after reading.
However, "The First Assistant" is different. It is a smartly written, funny, and also wise story about a country girl working her way up in Hollywood. Sometimes throughout the story the heroine seems to have lost ground, but then again, she's still the one with the clearest mind of all the characters in the book.
You needn't have read "The Second Assistant" (which is the story before this one) to have fun reading "The First Assistant" - Everything you need to know about the previous life of the heroine is explained.
However, if you're looking for a realistic or at least close-to-reality story you'll be disappointed. The story told in this book doesn't happen in the real world... (And yes, it gets a bit cheesy in the end, but that's part of chick lit fun!)
To make a long story short: I loved reading this book!

Journal Entry 2 by wolkenklang on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I am starting my first bookring!

Participants with shipping preferences, already in order:

starting with solskinn in Austria, then going to:
01. kamischka (Poland / Europe) - read and passed on
02. BOKWORMY (Portugal / Int) - read and passed on
03. Dei (Singapore / Int) - read and passed on
04. Wandering-B (Hong Kong / Int) - read and passed on
05. lady-anglophile (Kuwait / Int) <--- book is on its way here! - since 10/10/08
06. darkpunkangel (Canada / Int)
07. valpete (California, USA / USA)
08. ramson (Louisiana, USA / USA)
09. lovie313 (Florida, USA / USA)
10. spaceystacey (New Jersey, USA / USA)
11. sunfi (Ohio, USA / Int)
and finally back to solskinn in Austria

Anybody who wants to join can still do so. Just send me a PM with your shipping preferences (preferrably International of course) and I'll add you to the list.

When you're done reading, please PM the person after you for their address.

Please note that the shipping order can change anytime as the bookring will stay open for others to join in. So please doublecheck whom you'll be sending the book to after you've finished reading.

Enjoy!!!

Update 03/23/09: Apparently the book got lost in the mail from Hong Kong to Kuwait. What a pity. Thanks to everyone who participated and thus made the bookring a success until this point. I am sorry for the ones who didn't get to read this book - I hope you find other copies elsewhere.

Update 05/15/09: Wandering-B found another copy of this book to use for the remaining participants of this bookring. Here is the book's journal: click. - Thank you, Wandering-B!

Countries this book has visited:

Journal Entry 3 by wolkenklang at to the first participant in sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 06, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (6/6/2008 UTC) at to the first participant in sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Will be sent out to kamischka in Poland this afternoon. Enjoy the book and happy BookCrossing to everybody!

Journal Entry 4 by kamischka from Pulawy, Lubelskie Poland on Monday, June 30, 2008

got it in the mail today, will start reading as soon as possible. after all summer is a perfect time fir such a light read:)

Journal Entry 5 by kamischka from Pulawy, Lubelskie Poland on Sunday, July 27, 2008

I've read the book a while ago (it was lots of fun!) and sent a message to Bokwormy 2 weeks ago but still haven't got the reply:(

Journal Entry 6 by kamischka from Pulawy, Lubelskie Poland on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

sent it to Bokwormy on Saturday, hope she'll receive it soon and enjoy as much as I did!

Journal Entry 7 by BOKWORMY on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Thanks Kamischka for posting it over (lovely postcard (",) ... & thank-you solskinn for sharing this bookring with me.

I've got a few booking TBR but I'll try to be quick!

Journal Entry 8 by BOKWORMY on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A nice cosy read with plenty LOL moments.

Pming Dei!

Journal Entry 9 by BOKWORMY at on Thursday, September 11, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (9/11/2008 UTC) at

On the way to Dei in Singapore!

Journal Entry 10 by wingDeiwing on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Yippie thanks so much bokwormy for the speedy mail. i have a ring before this book and will journal as soon as i finish reading

Journal Entry 11 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Sunday, October 05, 2008

Received yesterday. Thanks solskinn for sending it out and Dei for mailing it to me.

Will get to it ASAP.

Journal Entry 12 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Finished this one today - it was a fun book with a fairly satisfying if not totally believable ending. Will pass it along!

Journal Entry 13 by wolkenklang on Monday, March 23, 2009

Journal Entry 14 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Sunday, May 10, 2009

I have obtained another copy of this book to continue it on its way. Lady-anglophile requested to be skipped and I have requested darkpunkangel's address to get it moving her way.