corner corner Places to Look for a Mother: A Novel

Places to Look for a Mother: A Novel
by Nicole Stansbury | Literature & Fiction
Registered by gnissorckoob of Miami, Florida USA on 5/16/2008

status (set by ibis-adriana): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, May 16, 2008

Nice trade paperback. Don't remember where I got it. For bookcrossing.

From Library Journal: A resident of Salt Lake City whose short fiction has appeared in Threepenny Review, Prism International, Yellowsilk, and other magazines, Stansbury debuts as a novelist with this poignant examination of the Taylor family father, mother, and two girls as narrated by Lucy, the younger sister. Recalling her mother and all the reasons for their love-hate relationship, Lucy draws as much on wishful thinking as on reality. She constantly hopes for a "normal" mother and a life that is "like everyone else's." Unfortunately, this goal continually evades both her and her family. Angry, intolerant, and easily bored, Miriam is a pitiful excuse for a mother; she steals, sleeps around, reads her daughter's diary, chases after totally inappropriate boyfriends, and constantly reinvents herself to fit her latest self-concept. In Lucy's account, all the characters are beautifully rendered; these are real people you have encountered before. This touching first novel is recommended for most libraries.

Journal Entry 2 by gnissorckoob at Publix at 40th ST SW and 78th AVE in Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, May 17, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/17/2008 UTC) at Publix at 40th ST SW and 78th AVE in Miami, Florida USA

RELEASE NOTES: on a shelf, near the sodas

If you find this book, please make a journal entry and tell where you found it and what you plan to do with it.

Journal Entry 3 by ibis-adriana from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, May 17, 2008

I was with my best friend grocery shopping at Publix and when we went to the soda section, I saw this book, and my face brightened. (:

I plan on reading this book, my sister wants to read it too.