corner corner Miss Chopsticks

Miss Chopsticks
by Xinran | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

status (set by flewry): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Synopsis from Amazon:
"From the author of the bestselling "The Good Women of China" comes the uplifting story of three sisters who, like so many migrant workers in today's China, leave their peasant community to seek their fortune in the big city. The Li sisters don't have much education, but one thing has been drummed into them: their mother is a failure because she hasn't managed to produce a son, and they themselves only merit a number as a name. Women, their father tells them, are like chopsticks: utilitarian and easily broken. Men, on the other hand, are the strong rafters that hold up the roof of a house. Yet when circumstances lead the sisters to seek work in distant Nanjing, the shocking new urban environment opens their eyes. While Three contributes to the success of a small fast-food restaurant, Five and Six learn new talents at a health spa and a bookshop/tearoom. And when the money they earn starts arriving back at the village, their father is forced to recognise that daughters are not so dispensable after all. Xinran has become known for her wonderful ability to take readers to the heart of Chinese society. In this new book, she tells not only a human story, but the story of a city. As the Li sisters discover Nanjing, so do we: its past, its customs and culture, and its future as a place where people can change their lives."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, June 05, 2008

This book paints a lovely, vivid picture of the life and the mindset of rural - and city - people in China. I kept forgetting the events were set in modern times because the thought patterns are so removed from what I'm familiar with. I highly recommend this book and plan to read everything else the author has written as well!

*****
China for the Geographical challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/4/2010 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland

I was going to keep this book in my PC but my shelves are full to bursting and I just have to make more room to all my tbrs... I'm very happy that this book found a new reader in the European version of the Pay It Forward Book Relay. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, ApoloniaX!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, March 06, 2010

Received this in the mail today! Thank you so much for offering it, Annimanni!
I recently read Xinran's "The Good Women of China" and was very impressed by it, wanted to read more by her... here it is, brilliant!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This is the beautiful story of three sisters in China, who go to the city of Nanjing as migrant workers to seek their fortunes - away from the poverty of their village. Xinran based the novel on her interviews with three young women, which makes it all the more interesting - it isn’t completely fictional. There is a lot of background information about Chinese politics, history and society interwoven with the plot. Of course the focus is on migration, and the huge differences within Chinese culture und society are described, the differences between big cities and rural villages, places that are worlds apart.
Reserved for a VBB.

Nanjing cityscape, Wikipedia

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at Global Village, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/19/2010 UTC) at Global Village, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

KiwiinEngland picked this book from the Global Village VBB

Travelling to Dublin now.

Journal Entry 7 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, May 24, 2010

Thanks for posting this to me ApoloniaX, along with a sheet of bookcrossing stickers! This looks a very interesting book.

Journal Entry 8 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, February 13, 2011

I found this book fascinating, mainly due to the different expectations the three main characters had compared to someone brought up in the west would.

Reading the introduction and how the book was translated helped me understand more about some aspects of the story (ie people's names and their various possibly meanings).

I highly recommend this book.

Reserved for round two of the Global Village VBB - chosen by fruwby

Journal Entry 9 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/18/2011 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Picked for the Intercultural VBB run in May/June 2011. Taking the slow boat.

Journal Entry 10 by flewry at St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, August 01, 2011

Arrived safe and sound. Thanks so much, KiwiinEngland!

Journal Entry 11 by flewry at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, June 15, 2014

I thought this book was delightful! It was just a fascinating glimpse into a culture with which I am appallingly unfamiliar. (The part where Six was wondering how her foreign friends could be so ignorant of Chinese culture describes me unfortunately well.) Uplifting and gentle, but never boring. I am so happy to have met it.