corner corner Tarzan of the Apes

Tarzan of the Apes
by Edgar Rice Burroughs | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingperryfranwing of North Ogden, Utah USA on Sunday, May 11, 2008

status (set by perryfran): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Sunday, May 11, 2008

Book details:

In 1888 Lord and Lady Clayton sail from England to fill a military post in British West Africa and perish at the edge of a primeval forest. When their infant son is adopted by fanged “great anthropoid apes,” he becomes one of the most legendary figures in all of literature—Tarzan of the Apes. Within the society of speechless primates, Tarzan wields his natural influence and becomes king. Self-educated by virtue of his parents’ library, Tarzan discovers true civilization when he rescues aristocratic Jane Porter from the perils of his jungle. Their famous romance, which pits Tarzan’s lifetime of savagery against Jane’s genteel nature, has captivated audiences for nearly a century.

First published in 1914, Tarzan of the Apes is the first of several works by Edgar Rice Burroughs that delineate Tarzan’s manifold and amazing feats. Despite his reputation as a pulp writer, Burroughs spins an exhilarating yarn detailing the laws of the jungle and the intricate dilemmas of the British gentry as he examines the struggle between heredity and environment.

I read this book many years ago and thought it was great. Recommend.

This is also No. 747 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Bookray
Starting a bookray for this book. This is one of several books donated to the 1001-library. Rather than have them sit on my shelf, I am sending them out as bookrays. The last person on the ray should return the book back to the library or if he/she prefers, the book can be returned to me.

Please PM me if interested in joining. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book.

Participants so far:

. EmgeeNL from Netherlands (international)
. nikel27 from Germany (international)
. bearyfriend from Singapore (will ship international)
. cat207 from Australia (Australia preferred - will ship international)
. kbmarsh from UK (UK only)<----Skipped
. jellyfish67 from UK (international)

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to get it out to next reader within a couple of months)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* Last person on the ray: This book has been removed from the 1001-library so you can either redonate the book to the 1001-library or pass it on to someone else as a RABCK, etc.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 10, 2009

Released 6 yrs ago (1/10/2009 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to EmgeeNL to start this bookray. enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The book arrived today. It's going on the TBR stack

I finished the book sooner than I thought so I just sent the next on the list a message for the address.

Journal Entry 5 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, February 08, 2009

Finished the book today. It's really nice to finally read the real story of Tarzan. Tarzan is a figure everyone knows, but I doubt if everybody read the book.
Seeing the first date published, 1914, it's a reall easy book to read, full of adventures. I liked it a lot.

Journal Entry 6 by EmgeeNL at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Released 6 yrs ago (2/13/2009 UTC) at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Sorry, forgot to report that I send the book out last Friday

Journal Entry 7 by nikel27 from Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

arrived safe at my house, I only have to finish one BookRing, so I think I will start reading at the weekend.

update:
Great read, thanks for sharing with me.
Already have the next members address, will sent out in the next day's.

Journal Entry 8 by nikel27 at BookRay, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 03, 2009

Released 6 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at BookRay, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book as I did.

Journal Entry 9 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Friday, June 05, 2009

Book arrived safely, thanks in sending all the way from Germany.

Journal Entry 10 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, June 21, 2009

Finally read this 1001 book after watching Tarzan swinging from trees to trees on TV so many years ago yelling that famous arrr.... Didn't know it was actually adapted from a book. Have also forgotton which actor was the one I watched. Interesting and sad read. Interesting a human child could be raised up in the amimal kingdom and lived like them; sad the boy didn't get to know his parents who must be devastated to know they were dying and wondering what will happened to the baby in the jungle. Anyway, sidetracked a bit. One of my colleagues' mobile ringtone was the Tarzan's yell including some background apes' noises, which I find it amusing but irritating it keeps coming up.

On its way to the next reader. Thanks for sharing the book.

Journal Entry 11 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, June 29, 2009

Arrived in today's mail. Thank you bearyfriend, and perryfran for sharing your books. I have a couple ahead of this one but shouldn't be too long. X

Journal Entry 12 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 11, 2009

What a great story. I had thught it would be slow but it is full of quick adventure.

I've PMed kbmarsh for an address.

Journal Entry 13 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 19, 2009

kbmarsh has asked to be skipped, so this goes in today's mail to jellyfish67.

Journal Entry 14 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Arrived safely yesterday.

Journal Entry 15 by jellyfish67 at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 07, 2015

Released 3 mos ago (2/7/2015 UTC) at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom

Enjoyed this book, many apologies for the lack of activity but it's now on it's way to the USA.

Journal Entry 16 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, February 13, 2015

Book is back home after a 6 year journey! I'll make it available.

Journal Entry 17 by wingperryfranwing at PaperBackSwap.com in US Post, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 13, 2015

Released 3 mos ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at PaperBackSwap.com in US Post, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases

Sending to a paperbackswap.com member in Las Vegas, NV.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. If you are new to BookCrossing, please consider joining and indicate that you were referred by perryfran. I hope that you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you are done reading.

I hope that you will enjoy the BookCrossing experience!