corner corner A Lifetime Burning

A Lifetime Burning
by Linda Gillard | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingfuturecatwing of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, May 11, 2008

status (set by VeganMedusa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, May 11, 2008

Won in the raffle at the London convention.

=+=

Journal Entry 2 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, May 16, 2008

At the convention, the author mentioned that in this book she was exploring the concept of incest. What she didn't say was just how much exploration there was - I can't say much here without introducing spoilers, but suffice to say she hasn't left a stone unturned. If you're at all squeamish about the subject area, give this one a wide berth.

But that said, it was a good story, if a little soap-opera-y at times. The constantly shifting time line was occasionally confusing, but it worked well to slowly reveal the story, and its increasing layers of complexity.

=+=

Journal Entry 3 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, June 01, 2008

Was picked up at lunch today

Journal Entry 4 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Trattorie Cafe (OBCZ) in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, June 28, 2008

To be taken to the special FutureCat birthday breakfast meet up and I believe that this book is being bookringed

Journal Entry 5 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (9/17/2008 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Posted to a friend

Would love all bookcrossers to come to the
2009 WORLD CONVENTION and welcome you to our beautiful country in April 2009.

Journal Entry 6 by Otakuu from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, September 20, 2008

In a care package from Lytteltonwitch. I am looking forward to reading this

Journal Entry 7 by Otakuu from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, October 05, 2008

After hearing Linda Gillard read from this book and speak at the Convention in London I thought I would probably find this book interesting but challenging and I did.

I found the backwards and forwards in time a little tiresome as well and Flora as the narrator sometimes seemed to interrupt the flow rather than help it along but that is probably because I am not fond of either device.

Still, a good read. I wanted to discover the resolution, if there was to be one and so read on. I enjoyed it enough to look out for her other book

Journal Entry 8 by Otakuu at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, January 15, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/15/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

If this is the first BookCrossing book you have ever found, Haere Mai - Welcome.

I hope you join me in this wonderful world

Released by hand to FutureCat

Journal Entry 9 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, January 15, 2009

Returned by Otakuu, so I can bookring it.

=+=

Journal Entry 10 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, January 23, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/23/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Only one person was interested in the bookring, so I'm sending to AmberC, who can either re-bookring it when she finishes it, or just release it somewhere.

=+=

Journal Entry 11 by amberC from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, February 06, 2009

Arrived safely today. I love the stickers on the package.

Journal Entry 12 by amberC from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, May 03, 2010

A cleverly crafted and intricate book. The timeline jumps around a lot, but once I got used to it I found the diferent timelines easy to follow.

This is the story of Flora Dunbar, who has spent a lifetime burning for her one, forbidden, love and the tangled web of lies kept within her family and the destruction wrought to all by trying to be what society thinks you should be and how you should behave.

Journal Entry 13 by amberC at Southern Cross Exchange, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/19/2010 UTC) at Southern Cross Exchange, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases

To Ms June. I hope you enjoy.

Journal Entry 14 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Tuesday, June 01, 2010

And this book's back in NZ where it began! Thanks amber!

ETA: And this is why I hate the new feature of not being able to see other journal entries. Hilarious that this book has not only come back to NZ but back to Invercargill. I'll see who I can send it on to when I've read it - I wonder if it will just keep coming back to Invers. :-)