corner corner Going Dutch

Going Dutch
by Katie Fforde | Women's Fiction
Registered by AnglersRest of Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on 5/3/2008

status (set by Enitnaj): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, May 03, 2008

Synopsis

Love isn't always plain sailing...When Jo's husband trades her in for a younger model, she suddenly finds herself living on a barge near the Thames. Used to being a kept woman, she soon realises she'll need more than a few culinary skills to keep herself afloat. Aware she was about to make a terrible mistake, Dora has fled from a huge wedding, her fiance, her mother and a very critical village to come under Jo's protective wing. While offering mutual support, Dora gets a job where she has to row to work and Jo works out how to make a living. And though they may not know much about boats they're determined to make the best of things. One thing's for certain, though, they've both sworn off men for good. Unfortunately, life has other plans and inflicts arrogant but attractive Marcus, who's the oracle on all things nautical, and laid-back, charming, jack-of-all-trades Tom on their ordered lives. And as if they didn't have enough to worry about, they've discovered they have to take the barge to sea...

Journal Entry 2 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, May 03, 2008

As with a lot of Katie Fforde books this is very light hearted, and of course there is always a happy ending.

Journal Entry 3 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, May 16, 2008

On its way to LindyLouMac at some point over the next week. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, June 06, 2008

Arrived yesterday, thankyou so much for the RABCK AnglersRest, it is much appreciated.
As you say Katie Fforde is usually good for a light hearted and enjoyable read so looking forward to a touch of escapism.
Once read I will make sure the book continues on its travels.

Journal Entry 5 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, July 26, 2008

Katie Fforde is in my opinion one of the better writers of ‘chick lit’ This is her thirteenth novel and I admit to having read most of them, as her writing has always been enjoyable when I feel the need for some romantic escapism. However I was disappointed with this one as it even lacked a plot just a typical theme, take two very different women Jo and Dora, both sworn off men until they fall for the charms of Marcus and Tom. Neither of the romances felt convincing either, just all rather predictable. I also found more than a few of the comments and use of words irritating such as the over use of ‘perimenopausal’ I think we got the message. As for the description on p114 when Dora was changing for the karaoke did we really need to know about ‘stray armpit hair’ surely quite irrelevant?
The most interesting parts were those about the barge Jo and Dora lived on ‘The Three Sisters’, most especially when it was sailed to Holland.
A pleasant enough read for an afternoon in the sun but not one of Katie Fforde’s best, as once again lacking some of the spark of her earlier novels. I have mentioned this fact before in my review of ‘Practically Perfect’ last year.
Maybe I am just outgrowing Katie Fforde, I hope not as I have been reading and enjoying her books since she was first published in 1995.
One last point to be aware of is that the ending comes sooner than expected. Due to the dire habit of the publisher treating us to an extract of the author's next novel. A fairly new practice that personally I find particularly irritating.

Journal Entry 6 by LindyLouMac at With Another BCer, Trade -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/31/2008 UTC) at With Another BCer, Trade -- Controlled Releases

Thankyou Annevo for asking to trade with me. This will be in the post to you later this week.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 7 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, August 01, 2008

Wow! I never expected this book to arrive in my mailbox this soon! Thanks for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 8 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 25, 2008

This was my first Katie Fforde and I must say I liked it. A lot, actually. I'm Dutch and I spend a trimester studying in London, so I knew this book's scene a bit. If this is one of Fforde's less sparkling books I should definitely read some others.

This book will visit my sister, who happens to live in London. On it's return to the Netherlands it'll probably find a few more readers, before ending up as a prize for the 2010 BC Convention in Amsterdam!

Journal Entry 9 by Amsterdam2010 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

We received this book as a contribution to the goodie back stock at the Convention. Thank you so much, we appreciate it!

Journal Entry 10 by wingEnitnajwing from Tilburg, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, April 18, 2010

Found the book at the convention. I'm curious, but it will probably stay on my shelf for a while...(so much to be read, so little time...)

edit: read the book during holiday in Portugal and really enjoyed it! left it on the bookshelve in the lobby!

Journal Entry 11 by wingEnitnajwing at Ourasol Appartments in Albufeira, Faro Portugal on Thursday, May 27, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (5/27/2010 UTC) at Ourasol Appartments in Albufeira, Faro Portugal

On the bookshelve in the lobby!

I really enjoyed reading this book during my holidays, I hope the next reader will too!