corner corner Relic

Relic
by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child | Audiobooks
Registered by carlissa of Gainesville, Florida USA on 5/2/2008

status (set by futurecat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Friday, May 02, 2008

Synopsis (from Barnes & Noble)

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human...

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who-or what-is doing the killing. But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Publishers Weekly

A monster on the loose in New York City's American Museum of Natural History provides the hook for this high-concept, high-energy thriller. A statue of the mad god Mbwun, a monstrous mix of man and reptile, was discovered by a Museum expedition to South America in 1987. Now, it is about to become part of the new Superstition Exhibition at the museum (here renamed the ``New York Museum of Natural History''). But as the exhibition's opening night approaches, the museum may have to be shut down due to a series of savage murders that seem to be the work of a maniac-or a living version of Mbwun. When the museum's director pulls strings to ensure that the gala affair takes place, it's up to a small band of believers, led by graduate student Margo Green, her controversial adviser and an FBI agent who investigated similar killings in New Orleans, to stop the monster-if the culprit is indeed a monster-from going on a rampage. Less horror then action-adventure, the narrative builds to a superbly exciting climax, and then offers a final twist to boot. With its close-up view of museum life and politics, plausible scientific background, sharply drawn characters and a plot line that's blissfully free of gratuitous romance, this well-crafted novel offers first-rate thrills and chills. Film rights optioned by Kennedy-Marshall Productions; audio rights to Brilliance Corp. (Jan.)
----
1 MP-3 CD

Journal Entry 2 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Sunday, May 18, 2008

I am putting this in my CD only audio book box.

Journal Entry 3 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pulled out of Carlissa's Audio CD-only BookBox.

Journal Entry 4 by BigJohnLefty at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 25, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (5/25/2008 UTC) at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Since I have copied this onto my hard drive and can listen to it later, I'm putting it back into carlissa's CD-only AudioBookBox.

Journal Entry 5 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, July 28, 2008

Took this out of Carlissa's Audio BookBox.

I've had a number of copies of this pass through my hands over the years. I've attempted to read it once but it didn't grab me. I'm hoping an audio version will help.

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 21, 2011

Won in the graphic novels raffle at the DC convention.

=+=

Journal Entry 7 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, November 10, 2011

The plot is implausible, and the science cringe-worthy at times, but it's a fun, fast-paced story that kept me entertained while walking to and from work.

=+=

Journal Entry 8 by futurecat at Arthurs in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/18/2011 UTC) at Arthurs in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Left on the table after the UnCon BBQ.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

v

P.S. If you live in the Christchurch area, you might like to join us at our monthly bookcrossing meetups. For details, see the BCNZ Yahoo Group