corner corner Mister Pip - BookRing

Mister Pip - BookRing
by Lloyd Jones | Literature & Fiction
Registered by zzz of Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on 4/29/2008

status (set by pzarks): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by zzz from Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

“You cannot pretend to read a book. Your eyes will give you away. So will your breathing. A person entranced by a book simply forgets to breathe. The house can catch alight and a reader deep in a book will not look up until the wallpaper is in flames.”

This lovely (and so true) quote is from “Mister Pip”, Winner of the 2007 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize and Shortlisted for the 2007 Man Booker Prize written by Mr. Lloyd Jones.

If Pip sounds familiar to you that you’ve probably read “Great Expectations” by Charles Dickens and coincidence is surely not accidental. I must admit I’m not in that group as I haven’t read Mr. Dickens’ novel and at first I was afraid that will have an impact on reading (and fully understanding) this novel however I was wrong. I might even shamefully admit that not knowing story of Disken’s Pip was actually advantage so that I could easily jump in the shoes of (barefoot!) Matilda, our 13 year old narrator.

The plot is settled on tropical island Bougainville, Papua New Guinea during civilian war which is approaching to the part of the island where they are. Central character of the novel is a teacher who is named Mr. Watts, Bougainville’s only white resident. As a consequence of the war the live on the island’s village is changing and one of the greatest change for our young narrator is that the schools is closed since the teacher has left the island. Until one morning Matilda’s mother yelled one morning “Get up Matilda! You’ve got school today!” since Mr. Watts decided to help the village and children by taking the role of the school teacher. At the very beginning he admits that he’s no educated to be a teacher and that there’ll be questions on which he will not be able to give answers but he promises that he’ll do his best to be good teacher. Since there is no formal education to be had, he improvises the curriculum that comes most easily to him: with “Great Expectations”, which, incidentally, is the greatest novel by the greatest English writer of the nineteenth century, Charles Dickens” and he starts reading one chapter per day feeding children’s hungry imagination and giving them a ticket into another world, so different than the one they live in.

As the students’ interest mounts, so do their parents’ misconceptions. Told of the new importance of a Mr. Dickens on the island, the parents send in requests that Mr. Dickens procure antimalaria tablets, generator fuel, beer, wax candles and so on.
Eventually parents decided to give their contribution to the education of their children. So we can be thought that “trust crabs first and above all others” or “to kill an octopus, bite it above the eyes” and so on but of course this can’t last forever, especially not on the island where is raging civilian war. Under this circumstance the impact of “Great Expectations” on the life of children (Matilda) is even greater: it gives her a shelter because “Stories have a job to do. They can’t just lie around like lazybone dogs. They have to teach you something.”

And I’m afraid this is the place where book is lessening its impact because the dramatic events weren't dramatic whatsoever. I don’t know why; maybe that ascetic narration was precisely what Mr. Jones wanted avoiding by it all possible melodramatic elements. However for me it was just too fast and too flat.

As I said the plot is settled on the tropical island in South Pacific but the story is universal, the only local spice might be the stories about crabs and octopuses and when I said that I don’t mean in negative way. Dicken's novel introduces the life in Victorian England to Matilda, while Jones' novel introduces me the life on Bougainville during the civil conflicts and I would love that I could say that this is world removed from me as much as Victorian England is removed from Matilda. However I am familiar with the horrors of civilian war and that might be the reason why geography is irrelevant with “Mister Pip”. This is story about life on some remote island, it’s not about broken families and lost of the love ones; it’s not even about horrors of war … “Mister Pip” is “a love song to the power of the imagination and of storytelling. It shows how books can change lives.”

Bookring

1. spiderchic of GBR (read and released)
2. turnpages of GBR (read and released)
3. marie-therese of GBR (read and released)
4. sudokugirl of BIH (read and released)
5. Suzy26 of NED (read and released)
6. hippolein of FIN (read and released)
7. kasenka of FIN (read and released)
8. Annimanni of FIN (read and released)
9. misterpip of CZE (read and released)One suggestion:
Don't make release notes but journal entries
when sending book to the next reader.

10. AgdaAgulina of CZE (read and released)
11. brewski of CAN (read and released)
12. ajsmom of CAN (read and released)
13. istop4books of USA (read and released)Thank you!
14. mssaver of USA (read and released)
15. Bibliocrates of USA (read and released)
16. spaceystacey of USA (read and released)
17. pzarks of USA <-- book is here

It's very fast read (219 pages; it took me 2 days and I'm a slow reader, plus English is not my mother tongue).

Journal Entry 2 by spiderchic from Droylsden, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Received today thank you. Am just finishing "The Kalahari Typing School for Men" before I start this one.

Journal Entry 3 by spiderchic from Droylsden, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I finished this book last night and I have to say I did enjoy it. I had almost forgotten there was a war going on until the last pages where I almost had a tear but not quite! Maybe as zzz said it was a little flat and that's why it didn't quite pull at my heartstrings the way I felt it should.

I have pm'd turnpages for their address.

Journal Entry 4 by turnpages from Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, June 02, 2008

Thank you very much for sending this book! I have received it safely and I will read it as quickly as I can....

Looking forward to it already!

Journal Entry 5 by turnpages from Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What a fantastic read! At times the storyline is disturbing, in particular when it comes to the descriptions of the impending upheaval and the actual trauma of the rebels and the redskins entering the village. However, as for Matilda "Great Expectations" also gives the reader an escape into a different world. I also enjoyed Matilda's later years, where she travels to London and Rochester to see the places as they are and as they have entered the Dickens novels. I must admit that this novel gives me reasons to re-read some of English finest classics, and living in Kent gives me reasons to re-visit Rochester!
THANK YOU for this fab ring...

edit: Sent on today, 23rd of June

Journal Entry 6 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, June 29, 2008

Apologies for taking so long to JE this book. just finished my 4th 12 hour shift and 2nd night shift so just about able to focus! Started reading this on my nightshift last night so will hopefully be passing it on soon. Thanks so much for sharing your book zzz and to turnpages for sending it on to me :o)

Journal Entry 7 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 11, 2008

A great read, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing :o) Going to PM next on the list now and will try to get it posted off tomorrow if I get a reply, if not it will be later next week as I'm off to Dublin for a few days.

Journal Entry 8 by marie-therese at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, July 12, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/12/2008 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted today by airmail.

Journal Entry 9 by sudokugirl from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Sunday, July 20, 2008

This was waiting for me when I came back from a trip. Looks good, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 10 by sudokugirl from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I took this book to the beach with me and enjoyed every minute with it.

Thanks for sharing, zzz. The book is now on its way to Suzy26.

Journal Entry 11 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Received by mail yesterday. Thanks for sending it to me, sudokugirl, and zzz thanks for ringing this book. As soon as I have finished my current read, I will start on this one.

Journal Entry 12 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, September 01, 2008

This story remained with me long after I had finished it. I was really shocked by what happened to Mr Watts and Matilda's mum. Matilda is an admirable girl. She gets through this whole ordeal in one piece. It is understandable that in circumstances like the ones described here, a book, or more particular a character in a book, becomes so important to a person. Isnot it wonderful that a book written in Victorian times can give so much solace today? I truly enjoyed reading Mister Pip.

Book is on its way to hippolein.

Journal Entry 13 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 12, 2008

Mister Pip arrived safely in Helsinki today. Thank you suzy26 for sending the book and zzz for organising the bookring.
Hope you don't mind me putting plastic on the book, worried it will not survive otherwise

Journal Entry 14 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 19, 2008

Mister Pip did keep all the promises it made, and was even more than I expected. Certainly understand now why it was shortlisted for that prize. Was a joy to read (even though sometimes a bit sad and disturbing) and I'm very glad I signed up for this bookring. Thanks zzz for sending the book around the world!

Journal Entry 15 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, September 22, 2008

Book leaves tonight for kasenka. Good luck and safe travelling!

Journal Entry 16 by kasenka from Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala / Södra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The book arrived today, thanks Hippolein!

Journal Entry 17 by kasenka from Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala / Södra Karelen Finland on Sunday, October 12, 2008

I enjoyed this story a lot, thanks zzz for sending this as a ring! Hypnotic book. A truly beautiful book about storytelling, imagination and humanity.

I'll send the book to Annimanni as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 18 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Received today, thanks kasenka! I have another bookring book to finish before I can start with this, but will try to be as quick as possible :)

Journal Entry 19 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, November 03, 2008

I finished the book last week and it's now on its way to AgdaAgulina.

I loved the story, and I particularly enjoyed the way Jones caught the 13-year-old Matilda's viewpoint. The story was also a good reminder of the power of great literature, how it can transport you to a different time and place even in times of distress.

***
Papua New Guinea for the Geographical challenge.

Journal Entry 20 by AgdaAgulina from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 06, 2008

Mister Pip has safely arrived to Prague! What a tempting looking book... thank you!

Journal Entry 21 by misterpip on Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I read this book on loan from AgdaAgulina who was reading another book when she got Mister Pip... this isn't my first BookCrossing book but the first time I've registered personally (hence the name!).

This book is great! Very inspiring- really gives the reader the magic of reading and books... A little slow at first maybe, but... stick with it, it's deep, very touching and entertaining... a great read, very engaging and the story is staying with me.

Thanks BookCrossing! Thanks zzz for the ring!

pip

Journal Entry 22 by AgdaAgulina from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Thank you. What a lovely and unusual book.
Mister Pip left me sad after reading it, but during the read there were many more emotions I was going through. I also find this book especially inspiring, it made me think of the books that had left my life where I am now - it also made my mind play with the importance of little things, the meanings of colours and BRAIDS and many more. Lists of things of importance to me. Yes, this book made me busy!

And Decembery Prague might be far from the islands of Pacific Ocean, but somehow, at moments, it felt like being more there.

As another ring-book book-ring kept me busy, Mister Pip had another visit on the way instead of waiting for me. Hope nobody minds. Now it soon will be on its way over the ocean...

Journal Entry 23 by AgdaAgulina at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/22/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The Pip is on a Trip.

Journal Entry 24 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 03, 2009

Thanks for sharing this with us zzz, and thanks for the postcard AgdaAqulina I will be starting on this book very very soon.

Journal Entry 25 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

This book was a quick read that really captured my imagination. On top of that, it even made we want to go back and re-read Great Expectations :)

This book will be on its way to ajsmom very soon. Thanks again for sharing this zzz.

Journal Entry 26 by brewski at Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Friday, January 16, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/16/2009 UTC) at Quesnel, British Columbia Canada

Mister Pip is heading west!

Journal Entry 27 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, January 22, 2009

Caught today, thank you. I will get to it asap!

Journal Entry 28 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Monday, January 26, 2009

Overall, an excellent book. I think Jones did a fabulous job of describing life on the island and the challenges of living an isolated life. His characters were fleshed out and made whole with all their complications. However, once he got to the horrors of the civil war - Dolores and Mr. Watts' death - it almost felt like he lost his powers of description. Which would be fitting, but it was also disappointing as a reader. Up until that point, the book had my complete attention! From that point on, it felt like a big rush to the (unresolved, for me at least) end.

I am encouraged to now read Great Expectations, which has been lounging on Mt. TBR for quite some time now to my disgrace (since it's the "greatest novel by the greatest English writer of the nineteenth century"!) Thank you for the ring, zzz. PM'ing next in line now.

Journal Entry 29 by ajsmom at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/27/2009 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Air mailed to istop4books.

Journal Entry 30 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Mister Pip was freezing cold in my mailbox today so I brought him in and warmed him up. I'll be reading him next!

Journal Entry 31 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Thursday, February 12, 2009

Just finished and thoroughly enjoy reading Mr. Pip. I have never read Great Expectations but it didn't get in the way of this interesting and unusual story. I felt that Jones captured Matilda's voice very well, he brought me into her life, I "got" her mother, and felt like Mr. Watts was an old friend. I'm still out on a limb over the disturbing bits, why they were included, why they fell a bit flat, and whether that was intentional or not. I actually think it might have been intentional to not dwell on these parts, as the importance of the book was what Mr. Watts was able to give the island children through his story telling, and that was what Matilda ultimately kept from those turbulent months. (that's hard to explain without spoilers :-)

Thanks zzz for organizing this! Have pm'd next in line.

Journal Entry 32 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, February 23, 2009

Mister Pip has arrived! Timing is great, too, as I expect to finish the book I'm currently reading within a day or two, in spite of my busy schedule.

Journal Entry 33 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Interesting and sometimes disturbing. Glad I read it. I'll get it off to Bibliocrates in the next day or two.

Journal Entry 34 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, March 08, 2009

Oops! Forgot to journal. I mailed this book on February 25.

Journal Entry 35 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, March 09, 2009

This book arrived on Saturday afternoon. Thanks for posting it to me mssaver, will read soon!

Journal Entry 36 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, April 04, 2009

This book is next on Mt. Toobie, ought to be a quick read, contacting spaceystacey for a forwarding address now, should be on its way shortly...

Journal Entry 37 by Bibliocrates at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, November 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/9/2009 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is on its way to spaceystacey...

Journal Entry 38 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Friday, November 13, 2009

Received in the post yesterday. Will be reading this weekend and then sending out on the journey again.

I will always remember this quote. The character of Matilda is very moving. I love the way she experiences being read to and discribes being transports to the location of the read. This has always been my experience with reading.

Journal Entry 39 by pzarks from Portland, Oregon USA on Saturday, November 28, 2009

This book arrived while I was out of town for Thanksgiving. It looks like a fun, short read. Thank you spaceystacey for sending it!