corner corner The Bonesetter's Daughter

The Bonesetter's Daughter
by Amy Tan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by jessibud of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 4/28/2008

status (set by kotus123): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 28, 2008

I am well into cassette #3 of the 4 in this audiobook and am absolutely mesmerized by the story. I must have some kind of luck at finding just the right matches of reader to story because, as with another audiobook favourite of mine, Storyteller's Daughter, although this is an abridged version, it doesn't feel that way at all. I am sure that having the author as one of the 2 readers is a big part of ensuring that the abridgement is done carefully and without harm to the flow of the story. And so far, 3/4 of the way through, I haven't felt that I've missed so much as a hiccup. I truly don't want the story to end.

This one has audiobookring written all over it. Stay tuned...

Journal Entry 2 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 02, 2008

Finished! What a satisfying story, so finely woven and well told. I really didn't want this one to end. I would love to see this audiobook travel and be enjoyed by others so to that end, I will offer this up as a bookring. I will post a list of participants as soon as I have one! Stay tuned

Journal Entry 3 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 05, 2008

Ok, so far, only a few participants but I hope that this list will grow:

1 - Smurphie - Scotland, UK
2 - kotus123 - Germany - currently here
3 - Cross-patch - UK - (intn'l)
4 - darkpunkangel - Canada (intn'l)
5 - ninkasi - USA - (USA/Canada)
6 - trex3 - Canada (intn'l)
7 - kobie03 - Canada

Journal Entry 4 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 17, 2008

Arrived this morning. will put it in the car to ensure it gets listened too asap.

Journal Entry 5 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2008

I really enjoyed this audio book I had previously listened to the Joy Luck club and I have two more of Amy Tans books on Audio which I am sure I will enjoy as well.

The box had a small accident with a bunch of flowers so is a little soggy but is drying well sorry :o( and as soon as it has dried out I will send it on to the next participant.

Journal Entry 6 by smurphie at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 26, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/29/2008 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom

Heading off to the next participant in this ring.

Journal Entry 7 by kotus123 from Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Sunday, June 15, 2008

The cassettes have arrived here in north Germany and on the way to work I picked them at the post office where we have a post box to receive parcels, as we both work. In between classes I actually managed to find a few minutes to listen to sideA of the first cassette and agree that it really is captivating.

Joan Chen's narrative with changes of voice for different characters and within each voice so expressive of feeling through tone, is truly remarkable. I've listened to Sense & sensibility audio read by different speakers and was fascinated by the voice-overs. However, Chen's now seems superior as it is a story being 'told' by somebody - not being acted out as a kind of radio drama, if you know what I mean.

Shall journal again when I finish. Thanks for sharing jessibud. smurphie, for the Royal Deeside picture postcard and the absolutely lovely handmade bookmark of where you live, thank you very much! The cassettes or box dont seem any the worse for the accident with the flowers, and the flowers were your own, I guess now seeing the garden!

Journal Entry 8 by kotus123 from Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Sunday, June 15, 2008

Just tied to pm Cross-patch to get her address but 'find members' says 'sorry, we have no member ..check again'. I tried twice, can somebody help please?