corner corner The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (Definitions)

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (Definitions)
by John Boyne | Literature & Fiction
Registered by OnlyLiana of Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/28/2008

status (set by benschu): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by OnlyLiana from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 28, 2008

To be read....soon hopefully.

UPDATE 2/10/08: I really liked the way this was written. Very clever style, I particularly liked the way the author kept refering back to certain phrases and expressions. The ending was awful, as soon as he climbed under the fence it was clear what was about to happen and the feeling of helplessness was terrible, made you just want to shout out. Definately one of the best books i've read recently.

Journal Entry 2 by OnlyLiana from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 12, 2008

This is an International Bookring for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. This is an Open Bookring until it reaches its final destination! Then the last person on the list will forward it back to me.

1. When you receive book, please make a journal entry.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address. (Always check to make sure the list hasn’t changed.) Make sure the person is able to take the book.
3. After you read the book, tell us what you thought of the book.
4. When you mail the book, make another journal entry to let us know.
5. Try to keep the book for only a month. If you are having trouble please PM me or e-mail me at Liana_Gray@hotmail.com
6. If you see anyone on this list who is a known staller of bookrings please let me know that too!
7. At the end please send the book back to me.
8. Most importantly have fun and enjoy the book!! Thank you!

Participant List:

1. UnwrittenLibra - Massachusetts, US (Intl)
2. rhythmbiscuit - Colorado, US (US/Can)
3. spoiledrotten - New Jersey, US (US)
4. 300dogs - New Jersey, US (US/Can)
5. amidabutsu - Nova Scotia, Canada (Intl)
6. Gooberguts - New Brunswick, Canada (Intl)
7. mrbaggins1 - Johannesburg, S.Africa (Intl) <----- Skipped!!
8. soffitta1 - Portugal/UK (Intl)
9. faerie-glen - Baden-Württemberg, Germany (Intl)
10. benschu - Schleswig-Holstein, Germany (Intl) <----- Book is Here!
11. justmesam - Noord Holland, Netherlands (Netherlands)
12. bookguide - Gelderland, Netherlands (UK/EU)
13. MsTeddy - Tampere, Finland (Intl)
14. Davis59 - Uraidla, Australia (Intl)
15. sheepette - Southhampton, UK (UK)
16. madmadge - Dorset, UK (UK/EU)
17. teuffi - London, UK (Intl)
18. starfish6188 - London, UK (UK)
19. Scruffykaz - London, UK (Intl)
20. kirstykat - Hertfordshire, UK (EU)
21. mucker28 - Berkshire, UK (Intl)
22. MissMarkey - Oxfordshire, UK (Intl)
23. cinderess - Oxfordshire, UK (UK)
24. k2005 - Oxfordshire, UK (Intl)
25. AliceF - Coventry, UK (UK)
26. Megmac - Birmingham, UK (Intl)
27. annalux - Durham, UK (Intl)
28. Angel135 - Newcastle, UK (Intl)
29. lucy-lemon - Bangor, Wales (UK/EU)
30. welshgreen - Tenby, Wales (UK)
31. spiderchic - Manchester, UK (Intl)
32. mazzlestar - Leeds, UK (UK)
33. Back to OnlyLiana - Sheffield, UK

Journal Entry 3 by OnlyLiana at Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 19, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (10/20/2008 UTC) at Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The Bookring begins............

Posting to UnwrittenLibra in the USA!!!

Whoop Whoop!

Journal Entry 4 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, November 02, 2008

Received safely in the mail here in Amherst, Massachusetts!

Journal Entry 5 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, December 21, 2008

An utterly outstanding book. Will not say anything as to not spoil the fun for future readers.

Off to rhythmbiscuit in Colorado tomorrow - thanks for being understanding OnlyLiana - I know it's a short book but this semester was tough and barely gave me time to read!

Journal Entry 6 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Monday, December 22, 2008

Off to rhythmbiscuit in Pueblo, Colorado via Riderwood, Maryland! Enjoy the Rockies, little book!

Journal Entry 7 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Friday, January 02, 2009

Thank you, OnlyLiana, for starting this bookring. I look forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 8 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Saturday, January 24, 2009

This book made me ill...because it's designed to. I've never before encountered a book from this perspective. Thank you for sharing, OnlyLiana.

I will pass this little book along to spoiledrotten.

Journal Entry 9 by rhythmbiscuit at Bookring to next reader, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/28/2009 UTC) at Bookring to next reader, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to spoiledrotten. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, February 15, 2009

Recieved in the mail. Please bear with me as I have three rings in fron of this one. I will read as fast as I can. Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 11 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I truly do not know what to say about this book. It was the most powerful book I have ever read. I too won't say much for fear of spoiling it for the others. THANKS so much for including me and I will try & mail it out this morning. Will journal then.

Journal Entry 12 by spoiledrotten at Jackson, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 05, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/4/2009 UTC) at Jackson, New Jersey USA

This was sent out yesterday to 300dogs to continue on its journey!

Journal Entry 13 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Arrived safely. I have a few rings ahead of this one but will get to it asap.

Journal Entry 14 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Friday, March 27, 2009

Wow. For such a small little book, this was powerful! It left me speechless and with goosebumps on my arms. I enjoyed the fact that it was written from a nine-year-old's point of view. Very clever.

I remembered seeing an ad awhile ago for the movie version of this book. I would love to see that film. I'm sure it would leave me speechless and with goosebumps on my arms as well.

Thank you OnlyLiana for sharing this gem. It will be mailed this afternoon to amidabutsu in Canada.

Journal Entry 15 by 300dogs at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 27, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Saturday, April 11, 2009

received it in the mail a couple of days ago.
i have another book to finish before i start it, but i'll get to it soon.

Journal Entry 17 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, April 13, 2009

i really enjoyed this book. the end is at the same time predictable and slightly horrifying.
i liked how it was written, and i thought that having the names of places and characters distorted by the way the boy is pronouncing them was a very good idea; the result is that the story suddenly becomes a little more universal and less fixed in time and place.
i have contacted the next person in line, and will be sending the book shortly.

Journal Entry 18 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Sunday, May 10, 2009

really sorry for the delays, i ran out of "mailing funds". it's going today in the mail, should be with the next reader within 7 days.

Journal Entry 19 by Gooberguts from Saint John, New Brunswick Canada on Thursday, May 14, 2009

Received this amazing book in the mail yesterday and read it today.

Found it be a very quick read and sad. I didn't want to put the book down...

Journal Entry 20 by Gooberguts at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (5/15/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed out to Soffittal. Hope you enjoy!!

Journal Entry 21 by wingsoffitta1wing from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, May 21, 2009

Yeah! Looking forward to reading this.

Took this to a cafe yesterday and read it in one sitting. It is one of those books that quickly pulls you in. The subject matter as seen through the eyes of a child was well done, not trivialising at all. Bruno is a child and as a child questions what is happening around him in a world of adults who don't.

Will have to get another copy for my permanent collection and to pass round more friends.

Am PMing the next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by faerie-glen from Weil am Rhein, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, June 13, 2009

A truly brilliant book.

Journal Entry 23 by benschu from München, Bayern Germany on Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thanks, I got it.

17.8.
The book is amazing. You have to read it to know what it is about because nothing on the outside gives you any hints about the content. Brilliant.

Journal Entry 24 by benschu at Hoorn, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/18/2009 UTC) at Hoorn, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On the way to next by post