corner corner The Seven Sisters

The Seven Sisters
by Margaret Drabble | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/27/2008

status (set by Oikku): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 27, 2008

Book description from Amazon:

"When circumstances compel her to start over late in her life, Candida Wilton moves from a beautiful Georgian house in lovely Suffolk to a two-room, walk-up flat in a run-down building in central London -- and begins to pour her soul into a diary. Candida is not exactly destitute. So, is the move perversity, she wonders, a survival test, or is she punishing herself? How will she adjust to this shabby, menacing, but curiously appealing city? What can happen, at her age, to change her life?

In a voice that is pitch-perfect, Candida describes her health club, her social circle, and her attempts at risk-taking in her new life. She begins friendships of sorts with other women-widowed, divorced, never married, women straddled between generations. And then there is a surprise pension-fund windfall . . .

A beautifully rendered story, this is Margaret Drabble at her novelistic best."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

This was good, very good. It was my first book by Margaret Drabble so didn't really know what to expect, but it was exactly my kind of a story. I also liked Drabble's style of writing. I didn't much care for Candida at first, but she grew on me too when her story unfolded.

The book seems to have received mixed reviews with many considering it disappointing compared to her earlier works. In that case, I definitely want to read more of her!

Next off to Bookgeo as part of the Finnish wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by Bookgeo at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Many thanks, Annimanni, Seven Sisters arrived to Pirkkala today. This sounds and looks like a really nice book. Return mail to Espoo leaving very soon :).

Journal Entry 4 by Bookgeo at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, May 17, 2015

I managed to finish this story while recovering from pneumonia. I don't know if it was my state of mind, but I did not fully enjoy this story. The beginning felt almost too boring. My interest grew a bit when the journey became closer and glimpses from the journey itself were nice. The friendships between the ladies were warm and humorous too, but I still felt I did not properly fall for the story. A slight disappointment for me.

I shall take the book to our upcoming BC meeting on Wednesday, let's hope a new reader is found there. Thank you Annimanni!

Journal Entry 5 by Bookgeo at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 22, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/22/2015 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Nobody wanted this in the meet-up, but thankfully Halonhakkaaja said HEP for this on the Finnish forum. This book travels to eastern Finland now.

2015 Keep Them Moving # 18

Journal Entry 6 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The book arrived safely today. Thanks a lot! Margaret Drabble is a new acquaintance for me, this far I've only read the beginning of her other book, The Realms of Gold, but I really like her style. So as soon as I finish the current book, there's a new one waiting for me :)

Journal Entry 7 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Thursday, June 04, 2015

I did like this novel also a lot. There were some similarities in these two books. The main characters were very different type of persons, but both were divorced and were thinking about aging. Some funny details were also same; the women had some dental problems and in both novels there was an octopus. Was the octopus only coincidence or is it characteristic for Drabble to think that certain kind of people are like octopuses, even though she doesn't make direct comparisons towards spesific characters.

When Candida is planning her trip, she writes: "... I felt powerful. (I think the new word is 'empowered'. I have heard this word several times on the radio, and this must be what it means.)" (p. 143) The word 'empower' is translated in Finnish 'voimaantua' and it has been a popular word for some years. I like the idea to be empowered, but I don't like the Finnish word. Also in English I like the word 'powerful' more than 'empowered'. This item made me think about the differences in those words in Finnish and English and how the word 'powerful' would need better translation alternatives in Finnish. Well... 'voimakas' or 'vahva', but the word should include more mental powerfulness also. Anyway I was glad, that Candida was feeling powerful.

When the women are travelling on the ship called Arethusa, Candida is watching the pictures in the wall. It is said there, that Arethusa is built in Finland, Turku, 1995. Drabble writes, that in the picture, when the ship is ready, there are people with fur hats. Maybe the picture really exist (with a ship called Arethusa or some other name), but I doubt a little, if people would have kept fur hats in ship launching seremonies in 1995.

The mythological references were also interesting. E.g. "...Julia's contempt for those who make of marriage a Procrustean bed, and chop off their limbs to fit into it more neatly. They make marriage, said Julia, into a bed of blood. Instead, said Julia, of buying a new and bigger bed, or getting a diffrenet husband." (p. 221) Procrustes is a character of Greek mythology and the Procrustean bed means currently "a scheme or pattern into which someone or something is arbitrarily forced" (merriam-webster. com/dictionary).

I'm sure I had liked this a lot in any case, but I think I liked it even more after reading the Realms of Gold first. In the Realms of Gold the content was somehow richer and it's issues and persons and atmospheres were still on my mind.

I hope I can find more Drabble to read.

Journal Entry 8 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (8/6/2015 UTC) at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland

Tarjolla Kuopion bc-tapaamisessa.

Journal Entry 9 by Oikku at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Thursday, August 06, 2015

The book is now in my tbr shelf. Thank you!