corner corner A Rose For Winter

A Rose For Winter
by Laurie Lee | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/27/2008

status (set by Niksu): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 27, 2008

From the Back Cover:

"'He writes like an angel, and conveys the pride and vitality of the humblest Spanish life with unfailing sharpness, zest and humour' Sunday Times

Andalusia is a passion - and fifteen years after his last visit Laurie Lee returned. He found a country broken by the Civil War, but the totems of indestructible Spain survive: the Christ in agony, the thrilling flamenco cry, the gypsy intensity in vivid whitewashed slums, the cult of the bullfight, the exultation in death, the humour of hopelessness and the paradoxes deep in the fiery bones of Spain. Rich with kaleidoscopic images, A Rose for Winter is as evocative as the sun-scorched landscape of Andalusia itself."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I very much liked Laurie Lee's Cider with Rosie, which I read a while ago, and I very much liked this book, as well. He writes in such a beautiful style that I wish I had the time to read really slowly and cherish every sentence. (And the reason I don't: I have a two-year-old son :D) I also liked the atmosphere he manages to create: he makes me feel as though I know what it was like in Spain in the 1950s. Recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 18, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (7/19/2011 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Next off to chawoso who chose this book from the Flora and Fauna VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingchawosowing at Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany on Saturday, July 30, 2011

The rose arrived in German summer, which is like winter this year.

September 2012:

Travelling through Spain. It was interesting to read about a journey in the last century.

Journal Entry 5 by wingchawosowing at Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany on Monday, October 01, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/1/2012 UTC) at Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany

Travelling to UK!

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Received this from the Alphabet VBB round 2. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by winggreenbadgerwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Beautifully told account of Laurie Lee's return to Andalusia. It's a short book but so richly descriptive it needs to be read slowly. Smugglers, bullfights, filthy beggar children, gypsies, a group of lacemaking girls, some truly crazy hotel staff, fabulous Moorish architecture, mountain peaks and a lot of singing and drinking wine along the way - so evocative of the local atmosphere and people that it makes me want to go there.

Journal Entry 8 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 03, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (6/3/2013 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to Soozreader as my RABCK for May. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 9 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thank you very much for this book greenbadger! I'll look forward to reading it! And Hello to Annimanni, seems like a lot of your books eventually stop by at my place :D

Journal Entry 10 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I really enjoyed this little book (except for the bull fighting bits...), I thought that the surroundings and events were so well described that I felt like I was there travelling too:)

Journal Entry 11 by wingSoozreaderwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (8/27/2014 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its way to the August winner of One Book a Month RABCK sweepstake! Congratulations and Happy Reading!:)

Journal Entry 12 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 29, 2014

Thank you! The book is here.

Journal Entry 13 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, October 09, 2014

I liked this much more than I expected. And I agree with the previous readers this should be read slowly and not with haste. I wasn't able to do that every time I picked up the book.

I will be offering this for One Book a Month RABCK sweepstake on November.

Journal Entry 14 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, November 28, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (11/28/2014 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

To One Book a Month-winner. Enjoy!

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...