corner corner Naked

Naked
by David Sedaris | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 06, 2008

status (set by Mikavr): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 06, 2008

Bought at a library used book sale.

Abridged on 2 cassettes.
Read by David Sedaris (with help from sister Amy Sedaris in places)

From David Sedaris, the bestselling author of Barrel Fever, comes a riotous collection of memoirs which explores the absurd hilarity of modern life and creates a wickedly incisive portrait of an all-too-familiar world. It takes Sedaris from hus humiliating bout with obsessive behavior in "A Plague of Tics" to the title story, where he is finally forced to face his naked self in the company of lunatics. At this soulful and moving moment, he brushes cigarette ashes from his public hair and wonders what it all means.

This remarkable journey into his own life follows a path of self-effacement and a lifelong search for identity leaving himself both under syspicion and over dressed.

I liked this collection a lot- and found myself laughing out loud a few times. But a few of my favorite moments from the book weren't included on this abridged collection. The music was a little wonky but I couldn't tell if that was the tape or my dying car deck tape player- could have been either. Otherwise, it was a great two tapes of humor and honesty which leave David naked before us in more ways than just the physical.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 06, 2008

Adding to my LGBT Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'd actually registered and released another copy of this same abridged-cassette version of Sedaris' book, so I thought I'd add my comments on that one before putting this back in the LGBT book box for someone else:

I only managed to part with that copy of the tape because I have another copy - I picked up the omnibus collection of all of Sedaris' available books-on-tape! (This tape is "abridged" because it only contains some of the stories and essays from the book, but the ones it does contain are here in their entirety as far as I can tell.) Sedaris, reading his own work, is just hilarious; I first listened to this via Walkman while taking my daily walks around the neighborhood, and I'm sure a lot of people wondered why that woman kept bursting into laughter... Strongly, strongly recommended. [Even better: unabridged. Better yet: hearing the man read his own work live; I got to attend one of his readings in Boston a couple of years ago and it was priceless!]

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, September 29, 2008

Came back to me in the LGBT Bookbox. Sorry none of the participants wanted it. I shall try to find it another home elsewhere!

Journal Entry 5 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, January 23, 2009

Adding this to my bookbox ray: Earreading Audiobooks on Cassette Bookbox #1

I hope whoever finds it, enjoys it!

Journal Entry 6 by Mikavr from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm taking this out of Katekintail's Cassette Audio Book Box Ray! Thank you Kate! I lOOOOVE this book and I can't wait to hear Sedaris read it, especially A Plague of Tics, the funniest short story I've ever read in my life!

ETA: I can't BELIEVE no one took it out of the previous book box!!! Whassamatta with people anyway??!??!