corner corner Two Caravans

Two Caravans
by Marina Lewycka, | Literature & Fiction
Registered by redfloor of Amersfoort, Utrecht Netherlands on 4/22/2008

status (set by redfloor): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by redfloor from Amersfoort, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Even better than her previous book!

A field of strawberries in Kent ... And sitting in it two caravans - one for the men and one for the women. The residents are from all over: miner's son Andriy is from the old Ukraine, while sexy young Irina is from the new: they eye each other warily. There are the Poles Tomasz and Yola, two Chinese girls and Emanuel from Malawi. They're all here to pick strawberries in England's green and pleasant land. But these days England's not so pleasant for immigrants. Not with Russian gangster-wannabes like Vulk, who's taken a shine to Irina and thinks kidnapping is a wooing strategy. And so Andriy - who really doesn't fancy Irina, honest - must set off in search of that girl he's not in love with.

It'll be a ring

AnnevO
Feria
kinedi (Schotland)

Journal Entry 2 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 08, 2008

This book arrived in the mail while I was away for a few days. Thanks for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 3 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 08, 2008

I liked the narrative pace of this book. Also, the fact that the characters seem quite real people with nice and not-so-nice sides is nice.

The book will travel to Feria by mail, starting tomorrow.

Journal Entry 4 by Feria from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, July 10, 2008

Received in the mail today! It looks promising, but it'll have to wait a bit till I finish my present book. Thanks for sending, AnnevO, and thanks for ringing, Redfloor!

Journal Entry 5 by Feria from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, August 02, 2008

I took two caravans and a tent on holiday to Czech Republic, and read the two caravans whilst sitting in the sun on our camping. Funny that this book is mostly about eastern-europeans, and there were a lot of them there! I found the book a good read, though the scenes with the chickens (and others like that) were painful to read.

On to kinedi!

Journal Entry 6 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The book arrived safely in Scotland, thanks for posting it to me and I look forward to reading it very soon. Dankjewel !

Journal Entry 7 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, August 18, 2008

Well, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting after having read ''Tractors'' and just loved the quirky sense of humour in that so I thought ''Two caravans'' was going to be equally funny. However, it deals with migrant workers in the UK in rather outspoken way (there is a lot of press coverage going on at the moment)and it paints life in Britain in a rather glum way. I did like the characters (each in their own peculiar way) and having read comments before about the scenes on the chicken farm I was prepared for it, even though it was rather vile (but nonetheless I imagine it to be true)
All in all, I did enjoy this novel once I had gotten used to the fact that it was not going to a laugh out loud comedy but that's the beauty of bookcrossing that you get to read books that perhaps otherwise I wouldn't have read. Thanks for sharing this bookring ! I shall post it back to Holland very soon.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkinediwing at Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (9/10/2008 UTC) at Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Going back to Holland now ! Sorry for the delay and thanks for the bookring

Journal Entry 9 by redfloor from Amersfoort, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It came home save. It's ready to be read or released!