corner corner The queen and I

The queen and I
by Sue Townsend | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bookwormess of Kotka, Kymenlaakso Finland on Sunday, April 20, 2008

status (set by Runojalka): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by bookwormess from Kotka, Kymenlaakso Finland on Sunday, April 20, 2008

Seems interesting. :)

From the back:
In 'The Queen and I' Adrian Mole's creator has hit on a simple, clever idea and she sustains the fun superbly. She imagines that the last election was won by the People's Republican Party, with a bit of subliminal help from the television technicians' union. The Royal Family has to be relocated. They are allotted accommodation in Hellebore Close, known to it's residents as Hell Close, on a Midlands housing estate.
Her estate dwellers are authentic in the mixture of bafflement, suspicion and good humour with which they accept the poshos; "How did you talk to somebody whose head you were used to finding on a stamp?".

Paperback, 239 pages. First published in 1992 by Methuen London. This edition published in 1993 by Mandarin Paperbacks.

Journal Entry 2 by bookwormess from Kotka, Kymenlaakso Finland on Sunday, July 05, 2009

I found a Finnish edition of the book from Sysmä bookfair this weekend, so I'm reading it instead. I still think this idea is hilarious, I did like Adrian Mole books as a kid.

This is now available.

Journal Entry 3 by oofiri from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Picked this up at the meet today. I had already passed the book pile on, when someone said this book was so funny, and then I got interested. I haven't read a single Adrian Mole book. Let's see.

Journal Entry 4 by oofiri from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This was moderately funny. I know next to nothing about royal families in Britain or elsewhere, so maybe just couldn't appreciate some of the humour. The ending was a bit of a cop-out, though.

To be released.

Journal Entry 5 by oofiri at Limingantie in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (8/26/2009 UTC) at Limingantie in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

at OBCZ Pilkku (a mailbox on the fence at Limingantie 103)

Journal Entry 6 by wingOBCZPilkkuwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Found in OBCZ Pilkku at 11.15.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My son and I directed our daily walk towards Limingantie today to make our first Pilkku release. Since I haven't read anything by Townsend yet (I have a couple of Adrian Mole books on my tbr pile) I decided to take this book home with me. Having lived in the UK, I love anything to do with the British and am very much looking forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, July 15, 2010

This wasn't as hilarious as I thought it would be - at first I wasn't sure whether it was funny at all - but bit by bit the characters grew on me and I ended up laughing out loud several times. My absolute favourite was Harris, with Charles as a close second :D I agree with oofiri about the ending being a cop-out though.

Reserved for Chania, who'll hopefully pass it on to jumpingin as a wishlist surprise.

Journal Entry 9 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Sunday, August 08, 2010

Thanks so much for this book - I've read "Queen Camilla" by Townsend before and it was so funny - so I look forward to read this too!

Journal Entry 10 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I found this book extremely funny, better than Queen Camilla, in fact. It was also strangely warm and comforting book, I think. Only the last chapter was a bit disappointing.

Journal Entry 11 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Jumpingin didn't have this on her wishlist anymore, so it wil go to my avl's for now on.

Journal Entry 12 by Chania at Mediacafe by Harju in Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/17/2012 UTC) at Mediacafe by Harju in Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland

Leaving this to MediaCafe.

Journal Entry 13 by Runojalka at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Picked up this book at Kokkola BC meeting. Thanks Chania!