corner corner The Genius

The Genius
by Jesse Kellerman | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by cookieknits of Flower Mound, Texas USA on Friday, April 11, 2008

status (set by JamieH): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by cookieknits from Flower Mound, Texas USA on Friday, April 11, 2008

To be read.

Journal Entry 2 by cookieknits from Flower Mound, Texas USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jesse Kellerman's third book is his best yet. His writing skill is growing, and his ability to keep several different plot situations juggled is amazing. His characters are believable, strange, and engrossing.
I think he is shaping up to be a finer writer than either of his parents, and is leading the pack in the new generation of psych thriller writers.
Enough superlatives?
"The Genius" held my attention from start to finish, and I had no idea where it was leading me. Ethan Muller,is unlikeable, yet somehow compelling as a main character. You want to shake him one minute, then pat him on the back the next.
I believe this is the type of person Kellerman was trying to achieve with his first protagonist in Sunstroke, but couldn't quite pull off. He does it here, in my opinion.
Traveling to a Reading Corgis Book Club Member in Ellsworth, ME.

Journal Entry 3 by JamieH at Ellsworth, Maine USA on Friday, June 18, 2010

Excellent! This is an intriguing book, part crime story and part reflection on the nature of genius and the pull that those who have it exert on those who don't. It's quite different from "Trouble," the other Jesse Kellerman book that I've read. That one was a hair-raising thriller that made me want to leave the light on all night. This is a more subtle book, in which the crimes and some of the mysteries belong to the distant past, and the victims exist only in newspaper clippings and a few remnants of physical evidence. The story focuses on characters in the present and (through a series of flashbacks gradually advancing to the present day) how they came to be who they are.
I'm sending the book to my mother in West Virginia.