corner corner Can You Forgive Her? (Penguin Classics)

Can You Forgive Her? (Penguin Classics)
by Anthony Trollope | Literature & Fiction
Registered by otterlake of Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, April 10, 2008

status (set by gingergrant): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by otterlake from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, April 10, 2008

This is one of the first Trollope's I've read and it is still one of my favorites. Thank goodness we don't have to live by the rules of this age!

Journal Entry 2 by otterlake at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (6/10/2008 UTC) at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA

Journal Entry 3 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Saturday, June 28, 2008

Oh, that Alice Vavasor. What. A. Ditherer.

A wonderful, big, sprawly novel. To me, it was not as immediately enthralling as The Way We Live Now, but once the Pallisers finally arrived, I was hooked.

Here are some of my favorite lines from the book--most from the first half of the book, though I found the second half a better read overall.

"People always do seem to think it so terrible that a girl should have her own way in anything. I haven't much of my own way at present; but you see, when I'm married I shan't have it at all. You can't wonder that I shouldn't be in a hurry."

"I'm not particular; and if you are ready for a little good, wholesome, useful hypocrisy, I won't balk you."

In this world things are beautiful only because they are not quite seen, or not perfectly understood.

But men and women, when they show themselves at their best, seldom do so without an effort.

"Does anybody ever drop their rich relatives?"

"I can hold my own; and as long as I can do that the world won't hurt me. No, Kate, if I think a thing's right I shall do it."

"Money's never dirty," she said, "nor yet what makes money."

"I have an old-fashioned idea that when a man has got a wife he ought to be allowed to keep her. Public opinion, I know, is against me."

Every man to himself is the centre of the whole world;--the axle on which it all turns.

"It can hardly be your desire to go through life unmarried."

It is a comfortless unsatisfying trade, that of living upon other people's money.

"Indeed! I wouldn't pick her out of a gutter with a pair of tongs."

There are many rocks which a young speaker in Parliament should avoid, but no rock which requires such careful avoiding as the rock of eloquence.

CHAPTER LI: Bold Speculations on Murder

Vavasor, though he did not love much himself, was willing enough to be the object of love.

Journal Entry 4 by rampallion at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA on Monday, July 07, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/8/2008 UTC) at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA

Bringing to the Meetup Tuesday night at 7.

Journal Entry 5 by gingergrant from Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Caught it! Thanks, Rampallion and otterlake.

Journal Entry 6 by gingergrant at Potbelly's Sandwich Works -Davis St in Evanston, Illinois USA on Monday, June 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/27/2011 UTC) at Potbelly's Sandwich Works -Davis St in Evanston, Illinois USA

Leaving on the bookshelves with the other BC books.

Haven't read yet, so I'm freeing it to be read by others.