corner corner Hotel Du Lac

Hotel Du Lac
by Anita Brookner | Literature & Fiction
Registered by over-the-moon of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, April 09, 2008

status (set by over-the-moon): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Ex Nihilo
Went out for a sandwich and came back with a book (no, two books)
This is one I have heard about but never got round to reading.

Journal Entry 2 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, April 13, 2008

found this rather stifling, staid and dreary, like the veal-coloured hotel room where Edith spends most of her time. This won the Booker? I couldn't find anything remarkable about the writing at all. I spent most of my time trying to guess in which town the Hôtel du Lac was located: there's one in Vevey that could have been the one in the narrative, but the geography is all wrong. The lake is to the south, not apple orchards and hills. I can't think of a small town with a 13th century castle jutting into the lake on a promontory (sounds like Chillon but there's no small town around it), the view of the mountains and Dent d'Oche is from the Lausanne side of the lake but when she takes a boat to Ouchy and back she comes from the opposite shore. And the fact that Geneva businessmen go to the hotel for lunch means it must somewhere near the west end. So I guess it is just an imaginary town amalgamating the features of several localities.

Well at least I do have a great place to release this!

Journal Entry 3 by over-the-moon at quai in Vevey, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, April 24, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (4/24/2008 UTC) at quai in Vevey, Vaud Switzerland

on the bench directly in front of the garden entrance of the Hôtel du Lac.