corner corner The War and Uncle Walter

The War and Uncle Walter
by Walter Musto | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by rainbow3 of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/6/2008

status (set by Cassandra2020): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 06, 2008

Book cover: A fascinating chronicle of the home front. MAIL ON SUNDAY

The wartime diaries of Walter Musto were recently discovered by his great-nephew in a family attic. Contained in a dusty pile of notebooks filled with neat handwriting are the intimate thoughts of a sixty-year-old civil servant living in Surrey during the Second World War. Approaching retirement when he took up his diary on January 1st 1939, Walter was looking forward to long walks with his beloved wife Alice Mary and their ageing dog Nell. Then, nine months later, was came and completely altered the tone and significance of his journal.

Walter was too old to fight but spurred on by the cry of ‘Dig for Victory’, he organised the local ARP fire-watch and grew mountains of vegetables for the war effort. He knitted scarves for the neighbourhood on a handloom of his own design but nothing gave him more pleasure than pottering in his greenhouse of sunbathing in the nude among his flowers, interrupted only by the wailing of an air-raid siren or plain old bad British weather.

In the spirit of The Diary of a Nobody, with more than an echo of Dad’s Army, Walter’s idiosyncratic mix of social commentary and personal concerns captures the indomitable spirit that helped England endure the hardships of the Blitz. This charming diary is a welcome reminder that not all wars are fought on the front line.

DRAFT: This is a special book for me, as a start I’ve picked it as the six hundredth and first book I will register and as importantly it seems to be a lovely book which is why I plucked it from a library sale shelf last year.

Spring 2008 and I am on a mission to re-claim my flat, re-create a feeling of space and find my carpet again, I am being prompted by good friends to just “GO FOR IT” and simply release – gulp – un-read as many of my “fascinating books” as I can. So I’ll admit I have not read this cover to cover instead I have dipped into it here and there, wickedly making the tiny matter of registering the book, an action that ought to take minutes, into a matter of many hours…. Oops! Oh, well at least it’s about to leave my flat soon.

This then is one of my “GO FOR IT” release books, but happily I have though of a current project – the Not-So-Secret-Spring-Surprise 08 - this could slot into and what a good job it would do in heading off to another reader, Mr Flutterbies9, who I think shall really enjoy it. So dear reader please let me know what you thought, when you’re done.

Journal Entry 2 by rainbow3 at Post Office, Norton Park, E Norton Place in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 14, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (4/12/2008 UTC) at Post Office, Norton Park, E Norton Place in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Off into the post on Sat, sorry it was posted late, as an extra Not-So-Secret-Spring-Suprise to Flutterbies9 – Surprise!

Journal Entry 3 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Received 15/4/08. DH was wanting to read this so he'll get it first before it joins TBR mountain.

Journal Entry 4 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, May 05, 2008

I enjoyed this book but felt that it was a bit unbalanced in that there was lots of detail from the early years but not from the later years of the war. I would also have liked to know what happened to the author of the diaries the book was based on after the war.
Nice descriptions in the book of what the author enjoyed and experienced at that moment in time.

Passed back to flutterbies9 to read.

Journal Entry 5 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, June 22, 2008

I found this a very evocative book describing events from a time my parents and grandparents lived through and rarely discussed in such detail. The everyday minutae of life are played out on the background of the wartime experience in both direct and indirect detail. The highs and lows of the days and years are put into sharp perspective and are enlivened by the character of the slightly eccentric author.

I am not sure if it is the editing or just as it happened, but the earlier years are more regular with the diary entries and as time passes, the dates leave larger and larger gaps to fill. The author does appear to notice this at times and short summaries sometimes appear in the late entries when this happens. This book is a highly personal viewpoint from a very intelligent author who generally lives by the modest, gentlemanly credos of his era.

I enjoyed this book but think it my not be the easiest to pass on to the appreciative audience I think it deserves. Accordingly, I'll leave this on the available list for a while until I decide what to do.

Journal Entry 6 by Flutterbies9 at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, August 13, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (8/13/2018 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Way past time that this should reach a more appreciative audience but no such thing here so sent for releasing in the fair city of Edinburgh during the Festival.

Journal Entry 7 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh Book Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 16, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (8/16/2018 UTC) at Edinburgh Book Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Arrived in a book parcel today Thursday 16 August with six others all destined for WILD RELEASE in or around the Edinburgh International Book Festival before it finishes on Monday the 27 August. So I am the spirit of speed combining this ‘release’ journal entry with the ‘caught’ journal entry.
---------------------

Hello book finder, if you aren't familiar with the BookCrossing world of TRAVELLING books – WELCOME!

Feel free to keep this book it is yours to do with as you wish, read it, or pass it on to keep it travelling. You can leave notes anonymously or if you journal this book as a member, you will hear from the book on its travels. If you do join you’re quoting the name of the BookCrosser who registered this – see the 1st Journal Entry – as your referrer would be brilliant. Thank you and HAPPY READING!

Journal Entry 8 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Picked up at BookFest meetup and destined for my obcz - thanks

Journal Entry 9 by wingCassandra2020wing at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 03, 2018

Released 3 wks ago (8/30/2018 UTC) at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom

Released to obcz

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!