corner corner Gem Squash Tokoloshe

Gem Squash Tokoloshe
by Rachel Zadok | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 3/31/2008

status (set by ComradeCamper): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 31, 2008

This is a story of a young girl growing up during the height of apartheid unrest in South Africa.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 27, 2008

This was a sad but lovely book. I especially liked the way the writer told the story from the point of view of the little girl.

***
South Africa for the Geographical challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, December 07, 2008

The book will change hands today: Liinuskainen picked it from the Käsveska envelope (extracts of books by female authors) circulating among Finnish bookcrossers. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Liinuskainen from Lieksa, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Thank you for the book. I picked it from the käsveska and it was a real surprise. Looks interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by Liinuskainen from Lieksa, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Friday, April 03, 2009

At first the nightmare scenario of the first three pages felt a bit weird but when you get to the end of this book you understand it better. After the story started, I was really absorbed to the book. The first half of the book is very well written and almost lyrical, you can almost hear the sounds, feel the heat and smell the fragrances. The story is told from the view of the child and you can sense her anguish when she doesn’t really understand what is happening to her mother. After the events escalate, story jumps forward almost 15 years. I think that the second part of this story isn’t as good as the first one, somehow the story loose some of its intensity. Finally the past unravels and Faith has to deal with what has happened so long ago.

Book is set in South Africa. The political and social situation is seen more indirectly, it’s apart of the story, but it’s not emphasized. Some of the characters feel really one dimensional and some almost like stereotype. It would have been nice to have more insight in them. Like I said, the language is beautiful and I see quite a lot of metaphors in this story.

Interesting book and intriguing story.

This will now travel to a new reader.

Journal Entry 6 by ComradeCamper from Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin USA on Monday, April 27, 2009

This book arrived in today's mail, as a gift from Liinuskainen. Thank you very much!
It looks like a riveting tale. I didn't realize, however, that there was so much sadness and darkness in it. (I confess that I had to read the last couple of pages, to know that there is healing and redemption at the end.)