corner corner Change of Heart: A Novel

Change of Heart: A Novel
by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Bibliocrates of Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, March 29, 2008

status (set by trex3): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, March 29, 2008

I got this book via Zooba, soon to be BOMC2.

In her usual style, Jodi Picoult tells a compelling story about a convicted murderer, Shay Bourne, from four very different points of view - that of June Nealon, suffering mother and wife of Shay's victims; Father Michael Wright, Shay's spiritually conflicted spiritual advisor; Lucius DuFresne, Shay's fellow inmate on I-tier; and Maggie Bloom, Shay's athiest lawyer, whose father is a rabbi. This story centers around religion in an impressively unbiased manner, being neither pro-religion nor anti-religion, about love, sacrifice, and redemption, touching base with the social issues surrounding capitol punishment. It was very strange to read my exact thoughts and feelings regarding my struggles with religion expressed so well in words when I have struggled to put them in words myself. Change of Heart is my favorite Picoult read to date. The story, particularly the 'miracles' performed at the prison, reminded me of The Green Mile by Stephen King. One of the prisoners, Calloway, even hides his beloved bird, Batman the Robin, inside a copy of The Stand, so I have to wonder if Picoult is a fan of King because he is mentioned in the book as well. I did have a few minor qualms with the realism of the plot, specifically when it came to Maggie's argument against lethal injection, but the argument was interesting. Also, I was not surprised by the plot twists surrounding Shay's character, saw them coming. However, just when I feared a predictable ending, I was completely caught off-guard by the outcome of it all, a thought-provoking, satisfying conclusion to an overall great story. I loved this book and can't wait to read your thoughts!

Amazon Editorial Review:

The acclaimed #1 New York Times bestselling author presents a spellbinding tale of a mother's tragic loss and one man's last chance at gaining salvation.

Can we save ourselves, or do we rely on others to do it? Is what we believe always the truth?

One moment June Nealon was happily looking forward to years full of laughter and adventure with her family, and the next, she was staring into a future that was as empty as her heart. Now her life is a waiting game. Waiting for time to heal her wounds, waiting for justice. In short, waiting for a miracle to happen.

For Shay Bourne, life holds no more surprises. The world has given him nothing, and he has nothing to offer the world. In a heartbeat, though, something happens that changes everything for him. Now, he has one last chance for salvation, and it lies with June's eleven-year-old daughter, Claire. But between Shay and Claire stretches an ocean of bitter regrets, past crimes, and the rage of a mother who has lost her child.

Would you give up your vengeance against someone you hate if it meant saving someone you love? Would you want your dreams to come true if it meant granting your enemy's dying wish?

Once again, Jodi Picoult mesmerizes and enthralls readers with this story of redemption, justice, and love.

International Bookring Shipping order subject to change
United States:
classicfox of Ohio (US shipping)
vzfamily of Ohio (US shipping)
300 dogs of New Jersey (US shipping)
moresecode of New York (US/Canada shipping)
daniellechonody of Texas (US/Internationl shipping)
elsi of Texas (International shipping)
ladybug74 of Alabama (US shipping) ~Thank you for passing it on ladybug!~
lisabb2 of Iowa (US shipping)
meshe of Georgia (International shipping if needed)

International:
turnpages of UK (UK/Europe shipping) ~book is here~
penelopewanders of Switzerland (Europe shipping)
teddyke of Finland (Europe shipping)
bookwormess of Finland (Europe shipping)
BOKWORMY of Portugal (International shipping)
Sherlockfan of New Zealand (International shipping)
kihli of Greece (International shipping)
trex3 of Canada (International shipping)

Back to me... Bibliocrates

--------------------

KEEP IT MOVING PLEASE

~frequent journal entries and updates will be much appreciated~

ENJOY

Journal Entry 2 by Bibliocrates at on Thursday, May 01, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (5/1/2008 UTC) at

This book will soon be on its way to classicfox to kick off my ring. I hope you enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 3 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Alas, I finally mailed this book to classicfox yesterday, May 27th, 2008. I had decided to read the book before it began its journey since the list of ring participants had gotten so long. You can read my thoughts on the book in the first journal entry above, can't wait to find out what y'all think of it!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by classicfox on Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Yay! Arrived safe and sound today! I have 1/4 of a book to finish and I'll be dipping into this latest Picoult immediately. Thanks for including me, Bibs!

Journal Entry 5 by classicfox on Thursday, June 12, 2008

A very engrossing story from Picoult! Different from anything I've read. But as I find with so many of her books: 1. I can't say too much here as it could be a spoiler and 2. I was not satisfied with the ending. I usually don't try to guess what happens next in books as it just isn't a habit of mine but several thoughts occurred to me as I was reading that proved true. I did not guess the ending but can't tell you why, lol. I am anxious to hear others' thoughts particularly about the ending. Yes I have a few criticisms with this book but as always with hers I'm happy to have read it and am looking forward to everybody's reviews. I still give it a "9" because it did keep me on the edge of my seat and I admire, as always, Picoult's intense researching of the material she uses to write her books. Thank you so much, Bibs for including me in this ring--and happy reading everyone! You all have a treat in store. :)

Journal Entry 6 by classicfox at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 13, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (6/13/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today via first class to vzfamily. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by vzfamily from Willard, Ohio USA on Saturday, June 21, 2008

Just received this in today's mail! Can't wait to get in to it!!

Journal Entry 8 by vzfamily from Willard, Ohio USA on Sunday, June 29, 2008

While I found some similaries in the first half of the book to The Green Mile, I thought the end was a refreshing change of pace for Picoult. She usually wraps up a book in a nice little bow while still leaving you to come to your own conclusions for the most part. In this one, she waits until the last few to set the record straight. Of course the epilogue still leaves a bit up to ambiguity - but for the most part, she did let us know the truth.

SPOILER...

The thought of Elizabeth and her stepfather being buried together? I wish there would have been more mention of a resolution to that situation in light of what June found out. Granted she was so wrapped up in Claire that it would be hard to divert attention, but I wish we would have found out that June was at least looking into a solution.

Journal Entry 9 by vzfamily at Postal Release in Willard, Ohio USA on Friday, July 11, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (7/11/2008 UTC) at Postal Release in Willard, Ohio USA

Sorry, this was send out a week later than I was hoping due to vehicle problems! ENJOY!

Journal Entry 10 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Saturday, July 19, 2008

Arrived safely!! Thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I had a few other rays ahead of this one and just started reading it last night...I am hooked already!!

Journal Entry 12 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008

Oh my gosh, I LOVED this book!! Wow. I finished it late last night. I have read all of Jodi Picoult's books and this is one of my top two favorites.
I also enjoyed the reference to Ian Flectcher, Mariah and her daughter Faith. The mention of Ian and Mariah having twin boys was almost like an epilogue to Picoult's novel Keeping Faith. That was a bonus!
Thank you Bibliocrates for starting this ray. I already have the address for morsecode and will mail this out this afternoon.

Journal Entry 13 by 300dogs at Jackson, New Jersey USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (8/23/2008 UTC) at Jackson, New Jersey USA

I'm still not too sure about how to use this new "controlled release" feature. Hopefully, it's correct...
Mailed from the Jackson, NJ post office to Buffalo, New York.

Journal Entry 14 by morsecode from Buffalo, New York USA on Monday, September 08, 2008

This book has arrived safe and sound in Buffalo, NY.
I'm starting it today so hopefully I'll be able to mail it off by this weekend.

Journal Entry 15 by morsecode from Buffalo, New York USA on Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm mailing this book off to the next reader today.

This is pretty typical of Jodi Picoult's books - it's not my favorite, but I definitely liked it better than some of the others.

I don't really have much to say at the moment. I like how Picoult keeps us guessing and does switch things around on us at the end of the book.

300dogs made a nice observation. She caught something that I didn't catch, but now that she pointed it out, I agree that it was a nice touch.

vzfamily's final spoiler observation hit the nail on the head in terms of the largest unresolved issue in the book.

Journal Entry 16 by daniellechonody from Dallas, Texas USA on Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sorry I'm a bit late to post my receipt! I am actually about 1/2 way through and should finish it up this week.

Journal Entry 17 by daniellechonody at Euless, Texas USA on Friday, November 14, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (11/14/2008 UTC) at Euless, Texas USA

Sent to Elsi in Sanger TX via media mail

Journal Entry 18 by wingelsiwing from Sanger, Texas USA on Monday, November 24, 2008

Arrived during the past two weeks. Hubby brought 10 unopened packages to me and I had a ball unwrapping them this afternoon. I'm looking forward to reading this book and passing it along.

Three bookrings were in this set of packages, and I'll give them priority so as not to hold onto them too long.

Journal Entry 19 by wingelsiwing from Sanger, Texas USA on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Mailed the book to Ladybug74. I thought I had mailed this back in January, so was surprised when Bibliocrates contacted me asking where the book was. Sure enough, there it sat on my kitchen table, all wrapped up and ready to go.

My apologies for bringing this ring to a halt.

Journal Entry 20 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Friday, March 06, 2009

This book finally made it here to me. I had just given up on it and requested another copy from paperbackswap, then found out this one had just been mailed to me. Oh well... I'm glad the book is on the move again and not lost!

I am in the middle reading another bookring book, then this one is next. If the other copy from PBS arrives in the mean time, I will go ahead and send this copy on to the next reader. I have read several of Picoult's books and loved most of them, so I look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 21 by ladybug74 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 07, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (3/9/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I just received another copy of this book today that I had requested from paperbackswap when I thought this copy was lost. I'm going to mail this one on to lisabb2 Monday morning, 3/9/09. I will come back when I read my copy and post my comments about the book here. Thanks Bibliocrates for sharing this book! I hope everyone else enjoys it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/18/09 Here are my comments after reading the other copy of this book:

I really enjoyed this book, though bits of it did remind me of The Green Mile. Picoult writes about some controversial subjects, which keeps her stories interesting. In my opinion, this is one of her best books.

I had actually never heard of the Gnostics before I read this book, but I looked it up on my computer and this was actually an ancient religious group. If we covered this in my college History of Religion course, I don't remember it.

Ian Fletcher, as well as Mariah and Faith, from Keeping Faith make an appearance in this book. There is actually a spoiler in this book for the other, so I would recommend reading Keeping Faith first. That would also help with understanding Ian's history and where he got some of his ideas.

Journal Entry 22 by lisabb2 from Grimes, Iowa USA on Friday, March 13, 2009

Got in the mail today...will read shortly!!!

Journal Entry 23 by lisabb2 from Grimes, Iowa USA on Sunday, March 22, 2009

Another great book by Jodi Picoult!!! I have enjoyed most of her books that I've read and this was no exception. I had suspected the part about Kurt & Elizabeth before she reveiled it but still enjoyed the journey.

Thanks for including me in this ring. I'll mail it off to meshe shortly!!!

Journal Entry 24 by meshe from Bonaire, Georgia USA on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

caught today, will probably put down my current read and jump right into this one.

Journal Entry 25 by meshe from Bonaire, Georgia USA on Sunday, April 05, 2009

As always with Jodi Picoult's books, it was an emotional read for me. I had always been pro death penalty until several years ago when I read John Grisham's novel The Chamber. That book made me look at the death penalty in a whole new way and this book gave me another look at why I changed my mind. I felt cheated in a way at the end. Not because I didn't like the ending of the book, but because I just wanted more. I wanted to know lots more about Claire's life and Maggie's and Father Michael's and Grace's.

Thank you so much for including me, now off to pm next in line for address.

this has been mailed to turnpages April 17

Journal Entry 26 by turnpages from Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wow! That was quick! The book arrived safely this morning! Thank you all for the ring and for sending it....

Journal Entry 27 by turnpages from Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, June 20, 2009

I genuinely enjoy reading Jodi Picoult's books, although I must admit I found it hard to get myself starting to read this one. It's come at a bad time, where death/dying and religion/faith were quite prominent in my own life. So that's why I struggled and had this book for such a long time. I'm sorry...

Anyway, about the book:
The story about the death penalty and the organ donation is really interesting and I loved Shay. I had actually guessed the story about Elizabeth and Kurt before it was revealed in the book. I also found the book reminded me of The Green Mile (although I haven't read the book, only seen the film). And some aspects I did find exaggerated (Christian's feelings for Maggie, the fact that Maggie's Rabbi father has lost his temple and that Calloway is in that particular prison with Shay and yet this line just hangs in the air).
As usual, however, it absolutely astounded me how much research Jodi Picoult must have done to write this book: the entire history of the Gnostics, the laws relating to death penalty, the technicalities of various forms of executions...

Journal Entry 28 by turnpages at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (6/20/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Switzerland as from today...

Journal Entry 29 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This has arrived safely in the Swiss alps, thanks so much for sending and for making available. I look forward to reading this next Picoult.

Journal Entry 30 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, June 28, 2009

Here as a ring. Still reeling from the story, very moving, very thought-provoking. I've already figured out who I have to buy it for. Terrific read. Thanks so much for making it available.
I'm contacting the next in line...

Journal Entry 31 by wingpenelopewanderswing at controlled release, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Friday, July 03, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/3/2009 UTC) at controlled release, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

Now on its way to Finland. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 32 by Teddyke from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The book arrived safely in Helsinki - Finland today.
Thanks a lot for sharing, looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 33 by Teddyke from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, July 20, 2009

Enjoyed reading this book a lot, gives you a lot to think about ... well written ... moral (contemporary at least partly) issues ... but the death penalty aspect made it hard and at least partly sad, to me anyway.
BTW, I have 2 children and know I'd be really furiously angry at the person who kills one of them, but I still don't think I'd want him death sentenced - that would be like another murder; it's God who should decide when a person's time to leave, "in my humble opinion".

Anyway, I'd like to have this book in my permanent collection!

Journal Entry 34 by winghippoleinwing at At meetup, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 20, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/20/2009 UTC) at At meetup, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Going to the next person in the ring at the meetup this evening in Helsinki.

Journal Entry 35 by bookwormess from Kotka, Kymenlaakso Finland on Monday, July 20, 2009

Thank you so much hippolein and teddyke, the delivery for this book was quite a lot quicker than I expected. I was thinking of telling hippo today that there's no need to hurry on my behalf... :)

I have few books waiting for reading soon, so I'll squeeze this one somewhere between them. I hope it'll be good - I've been having trouble with some of the Picoult's. Some books have been great and I haven't been able to put them down, but some have really bored me and sort of left me cold. We'll see which end this book chooses.

Journal Entry 36 by bookwormess from Kotka, Kymenlaakso Finland on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Uh-oh, I'm sorry I've kept the book for so long. It seems that I just can't get on with it. I'll give it another try while I'm waiting for BOKWORMY's address and then forward it to the next reader. I do really have a problem with Picoult...

Journal Entry 37 by bookwormess at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/7/2009 UTC) at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

Nah, I think it's fair enough to let this book travel again. Sending to BOKWORMY in Lisboa. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 38 by BOKWORMY on Monday, October 19, 2009

Thank-YOU bookwormess for posting it over & for the delicious strawberry liquorice, yumm!
Thanks Bibiocrates for sharing this bookring with me :)

Journal Entry 39 by BOKWORMY at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, November 12, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/10/2009 UTC) at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

All the way to Sherlockfan in New Zealand!

Journal Entry 40 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, November 16, 2009

Arrived here in New Zealand today. Exciting indeed. Have a couple of others ahead but will get around to it soon.
Thanks to all involved so far.

However, as I look more closely I thought "I've read this already" and indeed I have. I'll skim it through again but it should be able to be on its way shortly.
I'll pm the next reader for an address.

edited 9 Dec.
I'm obviously not going to find time to read this right now as I have a couple of other bookrings backed up. I definitely have read it before so checked my earlier JE for the previous copy where I wrote:-
"What an amazing writer Jodi P is. She ventures down so many paths and to many sensitive ares, each time ending up with thoroughly well-researched and unforgettable topics. This book was deeply moving and thought provoking. Another classic."

I'd already received kihli's address so will post this on later this week.

Journal Entry 41 by wingSherlockfanwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/10/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Taking this to mail at the Trentham Post Office. No doubt it will get all tangled up with Christmas posting so hope it travels and arrives safely.

Journal Entry 42 by kihli from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Thursday, December 31, 2009

just arrived fron New Zealand,the other part of the world ;)

it's the last book I receive for 2009 and it's one of my favourite authors..,

Sherlockfan and Bibliocrates,thank you very much,happy new year!!!

Journal Entry 43 by kihli from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Sunday, January 17, 2010

another Picoult book that I liked.The twist in the story wasn't a twist exactly,you see it coming,but it was a book I generally enjoyed. Thank you!

****************************************************************
SPOILER

one thing though-I didn't enjoy the obvious similarity to "The Green Mile".Sure Picoult narrates it in a completely different way and the plot overall is different,but it is based on the same idea. Anyway!
****************************************************************

getting ready to travel to Canada :)

Journal Entry 44 by kihli at Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Sunday, March 21, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/22/2010 UTC) at Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece

going to trex3

Journal Entry 45 by trex3 from Flatrock, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Friday, April 16, 2010

book arrived safe thanks

Journal Entry 46 by trex3 at Flatrock, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

like this one jodi picoult did a good job with the Death penalty and organ donation will send back to bibliocrates