corner corner The Sorrow of Sisters

The Sorrow of Sisters
by Wendy K. Harris | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Yinny of Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 28, 2008

status (set by glenystasmania): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Yinny from Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 28, 2008

This book was sent to house-elfdobby for a special occasion, my two years, two months and two days as Bookcrosser anniversary. Congratulations and a happy reading, house-elfdobby!

(From amazon.co.uk)
Synopsis
Forty-nine year old Jane sits in her glass-walled designer home tapping out lucrative novels. She has accepted her childlessness, adores her comfortable husband, Chas and copes with her irascible father, Henry. But she is feeling dulled by the weight of her own repetitive fiction. Then Aunt Lillian dies and leaves her Wraith Cottage on the Isle of Wight. Jane has never heard of Lillian and Henry refuses to enlighten her. But Jane's curiosity has been aroused and she decides to investigate. Her inheritance reveals a story more extraordinary than she could have imagined.

From the Author
I really enjoyed writing The Sorrow Of Sisters and exploring The Undercliff of the Isle of Wight through the eyes of my characters. I didn't know exactly where they were going to take me, neither did I realise the extent of the heartache and joy I would have to experience with them. But I wouldn't have missed it, and they are still following me around. But then, they do live here.
It has been wonderful to read the reviews and to know that so many readers have enjoyed my book and taken the time to write their comments.

Journal Entry 2 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 28, 2008

Thank you Yinny! I was so pleased to have won your competition and look forward to tucking into this book! Will make a journal entry when I've read it!

Journal Entry 3 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 03, 2008

Unputdownable! Have had to have my eyes propped open with matchsticks for the past few days as I was loathe to put it down and go to sleep. Although I've never been to the Isle of Wight, I could almost smell the sea air emanating from the pages as I read, and although the book has some cruel, angry, scary themes, the overall feeling I was left with was of peacefulness. A lovely story with plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested. Thanks Yinny!

Journal Entry 4 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 04, 2008

Releasing to a friend who wants to join bookcrossing.

No. 79 in fotomiep's All In The Family Challenge

Journal Entry 5 by auntiebarbara from Derby, not specified not specified on Friday, April 04, 2008

Looking forward to reading this book, it looks very interesting.

Journal Entry 6 by house-elfdobby at South Croxton, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 20, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (4/22/2008 UTC) at South Croxton, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Sending this off to Cross-patch who is first on the list for this bookring - thanks to everyone for joining the bookring and I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did - happy travels little book!

House-elfdobby
Brookler
Wandering-B
Lisagt <----- book is here 18 November 2008
Carole888 - ring will end here

Book posted first class to Cross-patch 25 April 2008 - apologies for the delay!

18 November 2008

Thank you ALL so much for making this bookring/ray such a success - I've really enjoyed reading your journal entries! The sequel is on its way round the world now!

Journal Entry 7 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, April 28, 2008

Arrived on Saturday, but we've been busy organising village walks and ...gardening. Haven't we been lucky with the weather?

I am so looking forward to reading this book - any book recommended by any house-elfdobby is good enough for me.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 17, 2008

I am very glad I signed up for this ring. I have had an extemely pleasant few days reading about Jane's journey into the past. The moods between the different threads were so well crafted that I was away with it all. Wendy K Harris is an author I shall look out for, on the shelves of the Transita house.

Thank you house-elfdobby for making it available.

I posted it on to Madmadge this afternoon. A big thank you to the Syston Postmaster for serving me after time.

Journal Entry 9 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The book arrived today with its lovely Leicestershire postcard. My Great Uncle was once Lord Mayor of Leicester! Now, I wonder what colour bookmark to choose?

Hopefully it won't be too long before I get around to reading the book.

Thank you house-elfdobby for starting the ring and CrossPatch for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 10 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 05, 2008

Oh I loved this book so much that I almost cried when I finished it. What a lovely story of family and relationships - tender in parts but shocking in others. The descriptions of the Isle of Wight made me want to go there - and why not? It's almost on our doorstep!

Now, guess what? I have a copy of the next in the series - Blue Slipper Bay! I've already started reading it so if anyone in this ring reads this entry and would be interested in reading it, let me know and we can start another ring. :0) Will PM Brujula and send The Sorrow of Sisters on its way ASAP.

Thank you house-elf-dobby for letting me be part of the ring.

P.S. I chose blue!

Journal Entry 11 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 09, 2008

No response from brujula as yet - will try again today. I am off on holiday on Friday so it will have to wait until I get back if I don't get a reply.

Journal Entry 12 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thanks madmadge, hope she gets in touch soon - let me know if you have any probs, and have a good holiday!

Journal Entry 13 by Brujula from Valenciennes, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Monday, June 30, 2008

The book has arrived safely in Belfort.

Thank you!

Journal Entry 14 by Brujula from Valenciennes, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Monday, August 11, 2008

It took me some time to get into the story, but then I got completely caught in it.
It is a little unreal, but heck, it's fiction after all!

I like the way the author mingles past and present, through different narrators.

Thank you for sharing this!

And now, to the next reader!

Journal Entry 15 by Brujula from Valenciennes, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Tuesday, August 19, 2008

elphaba71 asked to be skipped, as she doesn't have much free time at this moment, so I'm asking the next on the list.

Journal Entry 16 by Brujula at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (8/19/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed today back to the uk

Journal Entry 17 by special1165 from Keyingham, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 25, 2008

Will start as soon as possible , thank you.

A lovely story which I found difficult to put down, I shall keep an eye out for this writer, hopefully the next will be as good.

Shall PM next on the list and post on monday.

Journal Entry 18 by wingkobie03wing from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Book arrived today with a postcard showing 4 beautiful pictures of Kegworth where it started travelling on this bookring,the cutest little bookmark, I choose the red one and a note from madmadge on a card that brought a smile to my face, it showed a big elephant sitting atop a small blue convertible. Thanks so much. This looks like a compelling read.

Journal Entry 19 by wingkobie03wing from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Thursday, October 02, 2008

I loved this book the family relations full of surprises always get me interested. The descriptions of the Isle of Wight remind me of the bays,coves and beaches in our beloved Newfoundland. The sea, even with all its fury , always calls us Newfies home. Thanks so much for including me in this ring. madmadge if you're going to share Blue Slipper Bay, I'd be very interested.

Journal Entry 20 by wingkobie03wing at Marystown, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Thursday, October 02, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (10/2/2008 UTC) at Marystown, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada

Mailed to Brookler.Enjoy.

Journal Entry 21 by Brookler from Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, October 16, 2008

This book just arrived in the mail. Thanks.

Journal Entry 22 by Brookler from Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Monday, October 20, 2008

I greatly enjoyed this book. Having lived in an isolated cabin in view of the ocean, complete with outhouse and no modern conveniences (like electricity) for 18 years, I could so relate to the peace and wild beauty of Wraith Cottage. Such a gripping book! And you're never quite sure through most of it, where it's headed and how everybody fits in.

It touched me greatly. Thanks so much. Hope I can connect with a ring for Blue Slipper Bay!

Journal Entry 23 by Brookler from Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mailed today to Wandering-B in Hong Kong, by surface mail. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 24 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Saturday, November 01, 2008

Received today. Thanks to house-elfdobby for turning this into a ring and Brookler for sending it to me. I have got to say that is the quickest surface mail I have ever seen! Posted October 28 and received November 1? Wow! Canada to Hong Kong? Amazing.

Journal Entry 25 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Friday, November 07, 2008

I enjoyed this story of people living in on the Isle of Wright. You could just picture the entire setting and rather wish you were there.

Thanks again to house-elfdobby for sharing. It will be headed out to Lisagt on Monday.

(I chose purple)

Journal Entry 26 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Received today with much anticipation. Thanx for all the "goodies" accompanying the book!

Journal Entry 27 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 15, 2009

I finished this book about a week ago but haven't had computer access (thanx local library for this quick chance!). Anyway, I thought this was a very engrossing story, full of twists and turns and surprising revelations; some I predicted BUT that didn't hamper my enjoyment of the story. Without giving anything away I wondered how Jane coped as each step in the story revealed another twist in the saga.
Thanx for sharing and now I will be sending this on to Carole888 as a surprise RABCK as requested by her friend house-elfdobby.
I hope she enjoys this story too!

Journal Entry 28 by Carole888 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, January 23, 2009

Oh what a surprise I had, to see this package at my doorstep today! I hadn't been expecting it, you see....as I didn't get that pm requesting my address! Kegworth is beautiful... such a lovely postcard .... and I am leaving the kids to vote on which coloured bookmark I choose!! Thank you so much house-elfdobby for sharing this and thank you Lisaqt for sending it this way. I am looking forward to reading it!!

Journal Entry 29 by Carole888 at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, November 29, 2010

The surprise arrival of Blue Slipper Bay in the post last week, made me aware of how long I've put this book "on hold" for. I picked it up .... and then couldn't put it down.... but was forced to..... so I grudgingly went about other things, thinking constantly about the book ... picking it up whenever I got the chance. I thoroughly enjoyed my journey to the Isle of Wight. You could taste the sea, feel the sand, picture the beautiful coastline ......always, always peaceful to me, depite the varying themes dealt with throughout the book. I also liked the way the story was told though the use of the different narrators, slipping out of the past and present. Thank you house-elfdobby for introducing me to a new author. I just loved this book. It feels like I've been on a trip to another part of the world for the past week. Thanks lisagt for sending it across and to everyone else .... it has been great reading all your journals. x

Journal Entry 30 by Carole888 at Willetton, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/2/2010 UTC) at Willetton, Western Australia Australia

I have popped the book into the post box this evening at about 5.30pm. It shouldn't sit there for very long as the mail gets collected at 6pm. The book is heading to a special someone and it will be journing to the top of Australia. I hope it travels well. I hope you'll enjoy the book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 31 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Thursday, December 09, 2010

Arrived today. After reading all the JE's I'm looking forward to this. Just as well that I have only 1 more day of work , then I'm on holidays for 6 weeks! Hopefully with lots of reading time.

Journal Entry 32 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, December 13, 2010

OH WOW!! Thankyou so much Carole for offering me this book. I can't say more than has already been said. I just loved it. A very emotional journey but well worth it.

Journal Entry 33 by wingamberCwing at Palmerston Shopping Centre in Palmerston, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, January 21, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/21/2011 UTC) at Palmerston Shopping Centre in Palmerston, Northern Territory Australia

Taking to the meet-up.

Journal Entry 34 by scrapaholic at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, January 22, 2011

Picked up from our meetup

Journal Entry 35 by scrapaholic at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An interesting read of a woman discovering her past.

Journal Entry 36 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, February 26, 2011

Brought home from the meet-up. Everyone there had read it. Reserved for the OZ VBB.

Journal Entry 37 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (9/6/2011 UTC) at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

To the winner of the Happy Smile Day Sweepstakes.

Journal Entry 38 by glenystasmania at Maydena, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

sounds fantastic, looking forward to reading this one

Journal Entry 39 by glenystasmania at Maydena, Tasmania Australia on Friday, December 30, 2011

a great read, will hopefully find more by this author....

Journal Entry 40 by glenystasmania at Bushy Park Market in Bushy Park, Tasmania Australia on Friday, December 30, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (12/30/2011 UTC) at Bushy Park Market in Bushy Park, Tasmania Australia

just to the right of the main doorway