corner corner The Year of Magical Thinking

The Year of Magical Thinking
by Joan Didion | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by kobie03 of Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on 3/20/2008

status (set by tantan): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Thursday, March 20, 2008

Winner of Best Bio/Memoir 2006 is a memorable intimate look inside loss and grief.You sit down to dinner and life as you know it ends.On Dec 30,2003, Joan Didion and her husband, Novelist John Dunne visited their daughter in the hospital, where she lay in a coma. At home that night, joan was mixing the salad when her husband suffered a massive fafal heart attack. This memoir is her attempt to find meaning in the year that followed.

Having suffered grief myself,observed it many times as a nurse and learning from seminars and workshops on grief, I was curious about this book.Reading it taught me so much about the nature of love and grief in an open honest way, like really getting inside someone else's experience. A gem of a book. I don't know if I can release it but I feel many people should read this.

Journal Entry 2 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Sunday, April 13, 2008

Reserved for my birthday buddy

Journal Entry 3 by kobie03 at Marystown, NL -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 09, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (10/9/2008 UTC) at Marystown, NL -- Controlled Releases

In the mail to my Birthday RABCK buddy VeganMedusa.

Journal Entry 4 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Monday, January 05, 2009

Thanks kobie03! This sounds rather traumatising but I've heard good things about it so I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Wow, what a year. Well, I'm the kind of person who can't read about a heart attack without my heart feeling funny, so I didn't enjoy hearing all the details. But once I got past that, it was an interesting and enjoyable read.
Now reserved for livrecache for the BO Southern Cross exchange.

Journal Entry 6 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Posted to livrecache.

Journal Entry 7 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Received safely. From my wishlist, and part of the October Southern Cross Exchange. Thanks so much, Veganmedusa. It's a book I want to read, as something very similar happened to my best friend's husband last Christmas, making me realise how close death is to all of us.

Journal Entry 8 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, November 14, 2010

I've unpacked my final box of books, and found this, which has been due to Tantan for months. I read most of of last night. I found it quite disturbing. I've tended to shy away from expostions of grief and mourning, but I'm glad I've read this one.
I shall post it to Tantan tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (11/16/2010 UTC) at Hobart, Tasmania Australia

On its way to Tantan. Actually posted yesterday.

Journal Entry 10 by tantan at Gympie, Queensland Australia on Friday, November 19, 2010

Received today, and it's going on to Mt TBR. Many thanks!