corner corner Siddhartha (Modern Library Classics)

Siddhartha (Modern Library Classics)
by Herman Hesse | Literature & Fiction
Registered by marko167 of Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Monday, March 17, 2008

status (set by fotomiep): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Monday, March 17, 2008

Bought for book three in the Nobel spiral.

Journal Entry 2 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wonderful piece of fiction. Hesse has always been one of those writers I have shied away from believing his books would be dense, hard to read and confusing.

Not at all! This was a wonderful little read, a slightly different take on the coming of age and self discovery novels of the 20th century.

I would love to discuss many of the issues discussed and raised in the book, the relevance of the main characters name, how many of us feel we ought to read or follow doctrine to find enlightenment. In a way isn't that we are doing with this spiral. No matter I have enjoyed the first three book and will continue.

Journal Entry 3 by marko167 at The Nobel Spiral in Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (4/8/2008 UTC) at The Nobel Spiral in Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases

Off book three goes on its' world tour.

Journal Entry 4 by geetheflea from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Book arrived last week. Sorry it took me a while to journal. Am half way through already and enjoying it. More updates when I'm finished!

Journal Entry 5 by geetheflea from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Having tried to read Herman Hesse before and not getting very far through that book, I was worried that this would be hard going but it wasn't at all. I wouldn't normally read a book that dealt with 'spiritual' issues or I thought had the potential to be preachy but I think Hesse dealt with the ideas with a light touch and that made it an enjoyable and thought-provoking read.

"Here on this ferryboat, for example, my predecessor and teacher was a man, a holy man, who for many years believed only in the river, nothing else. He noticed that the river's voice was speaking to him, and from this voice he learned; it taught and educated him. The river seemed to him a god, and for many years he did not know that every wind, every cloud, every bird, every beetle is just as divine and knows just as much and can teach just as much as the river he so revered. But when this holy man went into the forest, he knew everything, knew more than you or I, without teachers, without books, only because he believed in the river."

Journal Entry 6 by geetheflea at The Nobel Spiral in Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (5/8/2008 UTC) at The Nobel Spiral in Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases

Sent to brunton11. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Arrived today. I have a few books ahead of this one so had better get reading!

Journal Entry 8 by wingbrunton11wing from Salford, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 29, 2008

I didn't really know what to expect from this one as it's not the type of book I would normally choose to read for myself. It was a short, accessible read and certainly thought provoking.

Thanks all for sharing - I'm enjoying these Nobel spiral reads. I plan to post this book to katrinat tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Arrived through the post yoday

Journal Entry 10 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, July 14, 2008

Just finished this, sorry it took a while, had one of those months where bookring after bookring arrived in the post.
I think this is one of those books which is certainly going to have me thinking about it's messages for a while, the type of book I would loved to have read at uni and been able to discuss in the context of its social and historical background.
The tale is very simple, a man trying to find peace and understanding within himself, he goes on a variety of 'journeys' in his life to be able to achieve this equilibrium. But underneath this is a huge range of philosophy and religion to sift through and, in my case, try and understand.
A good book to read, I wish I had a greater understanding of buddhism as I think that may have brought more to the surface. Very beautifully written, deserves the subtitle 'A Poem'

Will get this in the post as soon as I can get to a post office.

Journal Entry 11 by katrinat at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/22/2008 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Noble spiral

Journal Entry 12 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thank you katrinat, Siddhartha is now in Brussels.
Perfect timing, as I´m almost ready to send The Plague to afraberg.

Journal Entry 13 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Famous people all over the world have spoken highly about this masterpiece.
I couln´t really add anything, apart from many thanks to marko167 for choosing it.
On its way to afraberg.
Update 23/10: Oooops, a good think that I PMed afraberg just before heading for the post office, as it turned out that she had read the book already last summer. So, I´ve PMed fotomiep for their address.
Update 11/11: finally on its way to fotomiep...

Journal Entry 14 by fotomiep from Groningen, Groningen Netherlands on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oops, I really thought I'd journalled this book, but it seems I was mistaken. It's safe, and it's about to be read.