corner corner Tomaree

Tomaree
by Debbie Robson. | Literature & Fiction
Registered by cat207 of Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, March 16, 2008

status (set by bisso): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, March 16, 2008

"'I was out on the porch, scrabbling along the brickwork, feeling for a familiar rough patch. It was still hard to see but I located the loose brick. Something was sticking out. It was the letter. Tom's first letter from 1942.'

Returning to Nelson Bay after nearly thirty years is not going to be easy for Peggy Lockwood. After her mother's funeral she begins the difficult task of sorting through her mother's belongings only to discover pieces of a completely unknown past. Why had she only ever seen one photo of her father? And what happened to the radiantly happy young woman in the holiday snaps?

'Tomaree' explores the concepts of personal healing and self discovery by venturing between the past and present. This sensitive romantic drama offers insight into Newcastle and its surrounding regions during World War II and the early 1970s."

Journal Entry 2 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, March 16, 2008

I read this in the first half of 2006 - long before it was published.

I think it deserves to be shared. This copy will go out on an International Bookring.

BigBird2002 - US (US)
ladybug74 - US (US/CAN)
angela861 - US

kayjay33 - CAN (CAN)

katrinat - UK (EU)
lellie - UK
AnglersRest - UK

deadendmind - GR (skipped)

seethroughfaith - FIN (EU) (skipped)
hippolein - FIN (EU)

No special rules or conditions - just manners!

Journal Entry 3 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Friday, March 21, 2008

I decided to read this again before the 'Official Launch' of the book on Tuesday 25th March 2008. I don't usually like to read a book more than once, but I'm pleased that I did. I cried this time, too!

I plan to purchase some postcards of the area, while we're staying at the Shoal Bay Country Club this weekend, and included them to travel with the book, to make the places mentioned more 'real' to the readers.

I've got BigBird2002's address and this will go in the mail after the Easter holidays. I hope you all enjoy this book as much as I have. X

Journal Entry 4 by BigBird2002 from Mesa, Arizona USA on Monday, April 07, 2008

Arrived in the mail. Thank you! I am looking forward to reading this book and will start it today. I love the extras included!

Journal Entry 5 by BigBird2002 from Mesa, Arizona USA on Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Unfortunately I just cannot get into this book. I think I have too many things going at once right now, and this book just requires more attention than I can give it at the moment. I am going to pass it along to ladybug74 as soon as I get the address. Thank you for letting me be a part of this ring.

Journal Entry 6 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Thursday, April 17, 2008

I received this bookring book today and look forward to reading it. There are 2 postcards inside the book that show the beautiful Tomaree National Park, along with a map of the area. It looks like a beautiful place to visit.

Journal Entry 7 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I enjoyed this book. It is a about a lady who returns home after her mother's death and finds some secrets from her mother's past that help her to understand her mother better. The main character is also struggling with working out issues with her husband, who she left behind in the U.S. It was a little slow to start for me, but once I got into it I read it pretty quickly.

Journal Entry 8 by ladybug74 at bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (4/22/2008 UTC) at bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailing to the next parcicipant in the bookring, angela861.

Journal Entry 9 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I received this in the mail today. I am currently finishing a book but will begin reading it soon.

Journal Entry 10 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, May 09, 2008

I liked it. It was nice to see both the past and the present. So many regrets and secrets... so sad.

Now I'm in the mood to go on vacation. :-) Seems like a wonderful place to visit. I really must look for a picture of Christmas bush... sounds beautiful.

I pulled kayjay33's address off of RABCK so I will send the book to her this weekend.

Journal Entry 11 by angela861 at By mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (5/14/2008 UTC) at By mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Off to kayjay33!! Happy Reading! :-)

Journal Entry 12 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The book is here. It appears that not only is it signed by the author, but thatCat207 knows the author as well. I have been to Australia twice but don't think that I have been in this area. The post cards are beautiful.
I plan to put aside the Harry Potter book that I just started and jump right into this one. HP can wait as I think that in spite of what people say, it is much more suited to the 12 and under group.But I felt that I should read at least one of them.

Journal Entry 13 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Friday, May 23, 2008

This story is told by a series of switch backs over thirty years of a woman's life. It begins and ends in Australia ,with Peggy meeting a young American serviceman who she falls in love with.
The addition of post cards and a map of the area was a very nice touch. It helped me to visualize Peggy running down to the water or along her street. Thank you Cat207 for including me in this bookray.

Journal Entry 14 by wingkayjay33wing at Controlled Release in Langley, British Columbia Canada on Friday, May 23, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (5/23/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Langley, British Columbia Canada

This book is on its way to the next reader. Sent from Langley, BC Canada Post.

Journal Entry 15 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, July 07, 2008

Arrived today, will get around to in in a couple of weeks as I have had tons of bookrings arrive at once!

Journal Entry 16 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Finally got around to this, sorry it took so long. I thought that it was an enjoyable read, although not a original plot. The characters were well crafted. I thought it would have made a lovely film, with that gorgeous setting. Was lovely to have the postcards with the book.
Will send as soon as I have the next address.

Journal Entry 17 by katrinat at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, August 01, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (8/1/2008 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

moved on to the next person

Journal Entry 18 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, August 04, 2008

Arrived safely, thanks everyone. The postcards and map are a great idea, I love maps and enjoy getting a sense of place when I read a novel.
I should be getting to this one soon.

Journal Entry 19 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An enjoyable, undemanding read. The map and cards were a lovely touch. They helped what, for me was a fairly average and not original story, come alive and I enjoyed it more than I might have done otherwise.

Contacting next in line now and will post soon.

Journal Entry 20 by lellie at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 16, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (8/16/2008 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy

Journal Entry 21 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, August 28, 2008

Arrived while away on my latest work trip. I have been looking forward to reading this book and wonderfully met the author at the Convention in London!

Journal Entry 22 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

This is the story of Peggy who meets and falls in love with an American serviceman stationed in Australia during the Second World War. At the war end, after they had married Peggy leaves for America to start a new life. Some thirty years later, Peggy returns to Australia for her mother's funeral. Sorting through her mother's belongings allows Peggy to cast her mind back over the years, as she relives the romance with her husband, her relationship with her late mother and the coming to terms with her relationships with them both, and how she deals with the journey of discovery and the secrets she finds along the way.

I've PMed deadendmind who appears to have moved to Scotland and advises on her shelf that she should be skipped as she has little internet access. Perhaps add her to the bottom of the list? I have now PMed seethroughfaith for an address, and as soon as I have one this book will be traveling again.

Thanks for sharing this book, an enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 23 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

seethroughfaith asked to me skipped, so PMing hippolein.

Journal Entry 24 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On its way to Finland tomorrow - Enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, September 15, 2008

This bookring arrived safely today in Helsinki. Thanks to Anglersrest for sending it here and to cat207 for organising the ring.
Am busy with one (difficult) other book right now, but this one is next in line!

Journal Entry 26 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, September 25, 2008

It was a very nice read, special to read about how people can get to know themselves and other persons just by remembering the present through past experiences. I liked it a lot, it gives more than you expect.
The description of places in Australia makes you want to visit there, but afraid that will not be possible in this lifetime :-(

Journal Entry 27 by winghippoleinwing at Adamstown, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 26, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (9/26/2008 UTC) at Adamstown, New South Wales Australia

One Ring closing the circle, this book is now allowed to travel back home.
So that it would be fast there, it's allowed to do that by airplane...
Hope the book arrives safely!

Journal Entry 28 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, October 02, 2008

This arrived back home in my mail box today - my first ever full circle bookring! Thank you to everyone for participating and thank you hippolein for sending her home and especially for the postcards and the tea (I don't know how that got through customs).

Somewhere along the way the map and postcards of the setting of the novel were lost. I do hope everyone got to see them.

Journal Entry 29 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, April 05, 2009

Excuse me for butting in.
This book is now up on Amazon.com. If you could take the time to put your thoughts on it into a review, I know Debbie would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
Cat. X

Journal Entry 30 by cat207 at Cafe de Beaumont in Hamilton, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 18, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/18/2009 UTC) at Cafe de Beaumont in Hamilton, New South Wales Australia

At this morning's meeting.

Journal Entry 31 by bisso on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Very interesting so far. Only 90 pages in and enjoying the read.