corner corner Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by time-traveler of Peekskill, New York USA on Saturday, March 15, 2008

status (set by florafloraflora): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by time-traveler from Peekskill, New York USA on Saturday, March 15, 2008

Welcome to Bookcrossing! Please make a journal entry just to let us know this book's been caught. Maybe you'll want to read it but if not, just pass it along to a friend or wild release it again. Thanks - I hope you enjoy this site.

--------------------

I came across this at the used bookstore. I've been wanting to read it for a while so of course I snapped it up!

Journal Entry 2 by time-traveler from Peekskill, New York USA on Saturday, March 28, 2009

After a slow start I started to really get into this book with Half Lives: The First Luisa Rey Mystery, and by the time I finished The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish I really thought this was going to be a great book. Sadly, the book was a let-down for me after that point. I think I expected the stories to be more connected to each other, anticipated a bigger reincarnation theme and wanted a WOW kind of ending. I wanted more of that birthmark shaped comet!

I'm glad I read it, though, because it is a different kind of book. It's very well written and often humorous. I will pass it along with the hope that the next reader absolutely loves it, as many have.

2009 Reduce MT TBR

Journal Entry 3 by time-traveler at Bizarre Fiction Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 31, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/31/2009 UTC) at Bizarre Fiction Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Into the Bizarre Fiction Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pulled out of the Bizarre Fiction Bookbox

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Spent much of the book having absolutely no idea what's going on. But that's okay. Basically it's a series of interconnected stories that go through the diary of an American man in Australia in the 1850s, a British musician in the 1930s, a mystery-solving American journalist in the 1970s, an elderly British publisher in the present day, a clone on trial in nearish-future Korea, a goat herder in post-apocalyptic Hawaii, and back again. I'd hoped there would be a little more connection between the stories - more on the comet-shaped birthmark, for example - but that was not to be. It also got a little preachy in places. My favorite was probably the elderly British publisher who gets committed to an old folks' home against his will. All in all it's a decent read, but far too long for the amount of interest it held for me. Which sounds about like how I felt about the other Mitchell book I've read, Ghostwritten: great characters, probably could use a reread, but if you prefer less convoluted tales, you might want to skip this one.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bringing this to today's BC in DC meet at the Old Post Office in Washington, DC. If no one claims it, I'll release it somewhere downtown.

Journal Entry 7 by florafloraflora on Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thanks, Melydia, for bringing the book I've been wishing for to yesterday's meetup! Looks really tempting.

Journal Entry 8 by florafloraflora at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/12/2010 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I still want to read this, but for now I'm sending it off as a loan to my dad in Texas. He's brought up this author several times and mentioned how much much he wants to read this book. I figure he'll get to it before I will.

Journal Entry 9 by florafloraflora at Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, September 10, 2010

Update from my parents in Texas: they are reading this together in the evenings, and enjoying it so far. Dad reads aloud while Mom does her needlepoint. Thanks again, everybody who helped get it to this point.