corner corner The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction
Registered by melydia of Centreville, Virginia USA on 3/15/2008

status (set by Beachy94): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by melydia from Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 15, 2008

Picked this up at the Book Thing in Baltimore. I read another copy a while back. This is what I wrote then:

Susie Salmon was murdered at age 14 in the early 1970s. Susie herself narrates this story as she looks down from heaven, starting with her death and following her family over the next decade. My feelings about this book are fairly tepid. It's well-written but a little heavy on the grief and family drama. While this is understandable given the circumstances, I felt like I was reading a cross between "Cold Case Files" and "The Wonder Years," with a dash of "Seventh Heaven" thrown in. I also felt like the author couldn't decide between supernatural fantasy and gritty realism, never quite reaching a happy medium either. A decent read, but don't go into it expecting a murder mystery. It's a touching family drama through and through.

Journal Entry 2 by melydia at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA on Monday, April 21, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (4/27/2008 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

To be given away at the International Day of the Book in Kensington, Maryland.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by Beachy94 from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Sunday, April 27, 2008

I caught this book at the Day of the Book festival on Sunday April 27th in Kensington, MD. I plan to read it eventually and release it back into the wild as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 4 by Beachy94 at -- Airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/10/2008 UTC) at -- Airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA

Finished the book last week and decided it would be fun to take it to Florida with me on vacation and release it there. I enjoyed this book, despite its somewhat dark theme. Very enlightening, well written, good read.

I left the book on a chair in Gate E6 next to the pizza place in the AirTran Airways terminal. Happy Catching!!