corner corner The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw
by Henry James | Literature & Fiction
Registered by antonettes of Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on 3/4/2008

status (set by shnedwards): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by antonettes from Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

'What I saw - just before - was much worse.'
Her hand tightened. 'What was it?'
'An extraordinary man. Looking in.'
'What extraordinary man?'
'I haven't the least idea.'
'Then where is he gone?'
'I know less.'
'Have you seen him before.'
'Yes - once. On the old tower.'

#52 in de "Reis om de wereld in 80 boeken" challenge

*HENRY/JAMES*

RABCK boek voor Moriquen

Journal Entry 2 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Boekje is goed aangekomen. Dikke kus voor het opsturen!

Journal Entry 3 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, August 16, 2008

Eindelijk het boek op vakantie kunnen lezen! Hoewel het Engels niet echt gemakkelijk is leest het boek zeer goed weg. The turn of the screw is een geweldig verhaal dat echt onder je huid kruipt.

I've finally managed to read the book, while I was on holiday! Even though the English is not the easiest, the books reads like a charm. The turn of the screw really is a great story that gets under your skin.

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 22, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/22/2008 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Have fun with the book stubee, it definately belongs on the 1001 books you need to read-list!

Journal Entry 5 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thanks very much Moriquen, I've never read anything by Henry James so this is exciting.

Journal Entry 6 by KT-J at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Stubee passed this onto me as it's a 1001 book. I quite enjoyed this, it's one of those books full of ambiguity so you have to draw your own conclusions about what really happened. The writing is very descriptive and told in the first person but I have to admit I wasn't that keen on the main character, the governess. She came across as a bit timid/pathetic, although perhaps this was what James was trying to present so that as a reader you are never quite sure whether she was seeing things or not. A stronger character might have presented less ambiguity.

All in all, a good ghost tale!

Journal Entry 7 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 12, 2012

As ghost stories go I thought it was okay. Well written with some great moments, it didn't really frighten or shock me in anyway though so that was disappointing.

It'll be on it's way to Shnedwards shortly as she picked it out of the 1001 BYMRBYD vbb over at bookobsessed.com

Journal Entry 8 by shnedwards at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 06, 2012

It's here! Thank you stubee!

Journal Entry 9 by shnedwards at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, October 24, 2016

Unfortunately I didn't get on with this book at all. I found the style really difficult. I thought I was being a bit thick but then I looked Henry James up online and found that other writers had complained about his long sentences and habit of using four-syllable words where one syllable would do. So that's alright then.

Journal Entry 10 by shnedwards at Train Service in Cross Country Trains, -- Trains, Tube, Metro, Buses -- United Kingdom on Monday, October 24, 2016

Released 12 mos ago (10/24/2016 UTC) at Train Service in Cross Country Trains, -- Trains, Tube, Metro, Buses -- United Kingdom

Thank you for visiting the website. If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome.
Please make as few or as many comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose.
Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us.
If you would like to know what happens to the book after you have passed it on, then do join - it's free, private and fun.