corner corner The Alexandria Link

The Alexandria Link
by Steve Berry | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingperryfranwing of North Ogden, Utah USA on Sunday, March 02, 2008

status (set by loriped): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Sunday, March 02, 2008

From Amazon.com:

Cotton Malone retired from the high-risk world of elite operatives for the U.S. Justice Department to lead the low-key life of a rare-book dealer. But his quiet existence is shattered when he receives an anonymous e-mail: “You have something I want. You’re the only person on earth who knows where to find it. Go get it. You have 72 hours. If I don’t hear from you, you will be childless.” His horrified ex-wife confirms that the threat is real: Their teenage son has been kidnapped. When Malone’s Copenhagen bookshop is burned to the ground, it becomes brutally clear that those responsible will stop at nothing to get what they want. And what they want is nothing less than the lost Library of Alexandria.

A cradle of ideas–historical, philosophical, literary, scientific, and religious–the Library of Alexandria was unparalleled in the world. But fifteen hundred years ago, it vanished into the mists of myth and legend–its vast bounty of wisdom coveted ever since by scholars, fortune hunters, and those who believe its untold secrets hold the key to ultimate power.

Now a cartel of wealthy international moguls, bent on altering the course of history, is desperate to breach the library’s hallowed halls–and only Malone possesses the information they need to succeed. At stake is an explosive ancient document with the potential not only to change the destiny of the Middle East but to shake the world’s three major religions to their very foundations.

Pursued by a lethal mercenary, Malone crosses the globe in search of answers. His quest will lead him to England and Portugal, even to the highest levels of American government–and the shattering outcome, deep in the Sinai desert, will have worldwide repercussions.

Edit 3/15/08: Finished reading this today. I thought it was a pretty good thriller in the ilk of "The DaVinci Code" and "The Last Templar." I really enjoyed the historical aspects of the story of the Alexandria library. The premise about the Biblical translations and that the Holy Land was actually in Saudi Arabia was very interesting. However, I thought the political implications of this were somewhat far-fetched. Overall though, an enjoyable and fast-paced story.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, March 07, 2008

Bookray
Starting a bookray for this book. Please PM me if interested. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book.

Participants so far:

. dg7500 from Pennsylvania, USA (US or Canada only)
. rhythmbiscuit from Colorado, USA (US preferred but will ship international)
. FarheenAltaf from Pennsylvania, USA (international)
. Maccaellich from France (Europe only)<----Skipped
. Isabelopes from Portugal (international)<----Asked to be skipped
. ana-b from The Netherlands (international)
. Slayermel from Canada (international)
. lane1088 from North Carolina, USA (US only - moved down the list)

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to pass it on within a couple of months - others are waiting!)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* END OF THE RAY, The last person on the ray could try and continue the ray or just give/mail the book to someone else who might like to read it, perhaps a RABCK - look at cliff1976.com wish list web site, or release it into the wild.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

Bookray is now complete. Thanks everyone for participating!

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 15, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (3/15/2008 UTC) at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to dg7500 in Pennsylvania to start this bookray.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by dg7500 from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Arrived safely. I'm about 1/3 of the way into another book at the moment, but will start this one just as soon as I've finished. Thanks for sharing this, perryfran ... I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by dg7500 from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, April 10, 2008

Another great adventure from Berry. I liked meeting up with the characters for a second time (the first was in The Templar Legacy), and will likely read the most recent one (The Venetian Betrayal) sometime in the near future.

I'm just waiting for mailing info before moving this along. The PM system hasn't been working properly for me recently, but hopefully I should have an address soon, and will keep this moving along on it's journey.

Journal Entry 6 by dg7500 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (4/23/2008 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Continuing on it's journey.

Journal Entry 7 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thank you! I look forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 8 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Thursday, June 12, 2008

I enjoyed this book fairly well. I don't usually read this genre, and this is the first Berry novel I've read.

I think it would be wonderful if even a fraction of the Library of Alexandria survived to this day!

I've contacted FarheenAltaf for an address.

Journal Entry 9 by rhythmbiscuit at Sent to another bookcrosser in n/a, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 30, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (6/30/2008 UTC) at Sent to another bookcrosser in n/a, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I mailed this book today to FarheenAltaf.

Journal Entry 10 by FarheenAltaf from Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 07, 2008

Excellent read. Enjoyed it a lot.

PM'd Maccaellich for address. Will send it along as soon as I receive addy.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 11 by ana-b from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The book has arrived. Thanks for sending it and for the ring.

Journal Entry 12 by ana-b from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm very sorry but I stopped reading. I managed to read about half the book and then started again, but I can't get any grip on the story. Too many characters, the story is told in a boring way. I don't exactly know what is wrong with the story but I'll send it on.

Journal Entry 13 by ana-b at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, December 18, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (12/18/2008 UTC) at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

On its way to Canada. It may take 2-3 weeks before it arrives.

Journal Entry 14 by Slayermel from Brampton, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 09, 2009

The Book arrived and I will start reading it in a couple of days once I finish the book I'm on.

Journal Entry 15 by Slayermel from Brampton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 21, 2009

This book was action packed right from the get go, I had a really hard time putting it down. I found the concept of the Old Testament being mistranslated from it's original Hebrew and all the problems this would cause in the world between the Muslims, Christians and Jews very interesting and it made for a great story. I loved how Steve Berry weaved in real places, and historical events with his fictional story. I found the Characters in the story quite likable as well. The Tension between Cotton and Pam was believable as where Cotton's friendships with Haddad and Thorvaldsen.
My brain was spinning a bit by the end trying to figure out who was double crossing who within the American Government though, but I enjoyed every minute.

I have contacted lane1088 for her address and will ship as soon as I hear back.
Thank you perryfran for sharing this book :0)

Journal Entry 16 by Slayermel at Brampton, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 23, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/23/2009 UTC) at Brampton, Ontario Canada

On it's way today to lane1088. Post office said it should take 7-10 days.
I hope you enjoy the book. :0)

Journal Entry 17 by lane1088 from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Friday, March 13, 2009

I forgot to log this book in when it came about a week or so ago. I have put it on my short TBR pile to read and will write more when I'm done reading.

Journal Entry 18 by lane1088 from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Monday, September 21, 2009

I'm actually reading this one now but plan to finish and put into my mystery/thriller bookbox round #3.

Journal Entry 19 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Selecting from Lane1088's mystery/thriller bookbox. I love a well travelled book. Can't wait to read and send on its way!!

Journal Entry 20 by loriped at LoriPed's Free Book Giveaway in Keizer, Oregon USA on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Released 4 wks ago (8/1/2014 UTC) at LoriPed's Free Book Giveaway in Keizer, Oregon USA

These books will be in boxes marked FREE BOOKS located on the lawn in front of the house. They will be available Friday and Saturday only.
To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels around from reader to reader.

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. If you choose to join please consider using me LORIPED as your referring member. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!