corner corner A Dangerous Fortune

A Dangerous Fortune
by Ken Follett | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Findabair of St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 3/2/2008

status (set by Jannike): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Findabair from St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, March 02, 2008

I really, really liked this book!

I particuarly enjoyed the intricate intrigues and the characters (Aunt Augusta and Micky being particularly well-portrayed bad-guys). Follett is also very good at describing the milieus where the plot takes place - his descriptions of 19th century London are both interesting and convincing.

In some sense, Follett is almost too convicing - it's scary to see how far some of the characters are willing to go in order to aquire money and status. I would certainly hope there aren't too many people like that around in real life, but I'm afraid that there are...

***

The blurb:

"A shocking secret behind a young boy's death leads to three generations of treachery in this absorbing drama of wealth, passion and revenge, set amid the riches and decadence of Victorian England...

By the 1860s, the Pilasters are one of the world's greatest banking families, with connections that reach from the City of London to far-afield colonies. However, as the family grow ever richer in the shadow of oppression and tragedy, their very future is threatened by the self-same ambition and greed that first earned them their fortune."

Journal Entry 2 by Findabair at Kaffe & Krem, Vika in -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, March 02, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/2/2008 UTC) at Kaffe & Krem, Vika in -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway

I'm bringing this book to the meet-up today; if no one wants it, it'll be left in the zone.

Journal Entry 3 by Jannike from -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, March 20, 2008

I got this book at the bookcrossing meetup in Oslo, at "Kaffe og Krem" earlier this month.
I too enjoyed this book very much. I like Ken Folletts style of writing, the text flows easily, you get eager to know what will happen to the characters in the coming pages. He seems to catch very well the atmosphere of Victorian England.

Journal Entry 4 by Jannike at Cultura Bank in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, May 05, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/5/2008 UTC) at Cultura Bank in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

Look for a basket in the entrance hall of the bank.