corner corner Sky Burial

Sky Burial
by Xinran | Travel
Registered by garibaldisghost of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 01, 2008

status (set by peaceangel): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by garibaldisghost from Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 01, 2008

An epic story of love, loss and wisdom.

This will be 'X' in my 2008 A-Z authors challenge.

Journal Entry 2 by garibaldisghost at on Saturday, July 19, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/19/2008 UTC) at

I'm taking this to the meet-up - if no-one takes it from the table, it'll be placed on the shelves downstairs.

Journal Entry 3 by kittiwake on Saturday, July 19, 2008

I picked this book up at the Nottingham meet-up because it gives me a choice of 2 of Xinran's books to use as my "X" book in the A to Z Challenge.

Journal Entry 4 by kittiwake on Monday, January 19, 2009

Before she took off her Tibetan robe, she removed her possessions from it like a magician producing birds out of hat, From two inside pockets came books and money, and from pouches inside the sleeve some little sheep leather pouches. From her right boot came a knife, from her left some papers. She reached inside the waist of her robe and brought out two large empty leather bags. Then she removed her long silk belt, attached to which were other little leather bags and tools.
I watched in amazement: her robe was her luggage. It turned out to be her bed as well. She spread the robe on the bed as a mattress, placed the silk belt over the books and papers to make a pillow and then turned the sleeves of her robe inside out. She stuffed all her possessions into the inside-out sleeved, with the exception of the knife. Finally, she lay down on her robe, pulled the two sides around her and covered her legs with the two big empty bags. Both her body and her possessions were perfectly protected.

When one of Xinran's listeners tells her about meeting a woman who has just come back to China after three decades living with nomads in Tibet, Xinran goes to meet the woman, and spends two days listening to her incredible life-story before she disappears again.

In 1958, hospital doctor Shu Wen is newly-married to an idealistic army doctor, who is sent to Tibet with the army of liberation. After less than 100 days of marriage, she receives news of his death and unable to accept that he is dead, she joins the army herself in order to travel to Tibet and look for him. She is shocked to find that the Tibetans consider the Chinese to be invading rather than liberating them, and has only been in Tibet for a few days when her she separates from her comrades and heads off into the wilderness with a Tibetan noblewoman called Zhouma. They end up living with a nomadic family, and it is decades later before Shu Wen, now a buddhist and fluent in Tibetan, can take up the quest for her husband again.

This is a very quiet book, full of solitude and patience, and Shu Wen meets with much kindness from both Tibetans and Chinese.

Highly recommended.

Journal Entry 5 by kittiwake at on Monday, January 19, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/17/2009 UTC) at

Taken to Saturday's meet-up.

Journal Entry 6 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I enjoyed the Good Women of China and had seen this as one of those books I wanted to read, so look forward to doing so.

Journal Entry 7 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 07, 2009

Hmm, I think I had a love-hate relationship with this book - at times I really struggled to keep going with it, and then got really interested in it and am glad I persevered.

'Shu Wen stopped talking, but I couldn't stop thinking. About her transformation from a twenty-six-year-old Chinese woman to an elderly Tibetan Buddhist. About the relationship between nature and religion. About space and silence. About how much she had lost, and how much she had gained. About her will, her strength and her love.'

This says it all really, a beautiful book - just stick with it!

To pass on to Amber-moon before travelling on to Heaven-Ali.

Journal Entry 8 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Arrived today - thank you so much for sending it to me. I am really looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for the bookmark too : )

Journal Entry 9 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This is an amazing story. As a young woman in the 1950's Shu Wen meets and falls in love with Kejun, whom she marries. After only a few weeks of marriage Kejun is posted to Tibet. When less than a 100 days later she recieves news of his death, Shu Wen can not bring herself to believe it. She decides to undergo what is then (and now) an unimaginable journey to try and locate her husband. Her journey takes her to a vast wilderness. The distances, and the time it takes to get from one place to another are almost unbelievable. During her time in Tibet Shu Wen spends over ten years with a nomadic family, learning their ways, language, and becoming a part of their family. All the time she never forgets Kejun, her love for him never fades. Her story is an epic one, and an unforgetable one. The people Shu Wen meets on her 30 year journey and the impact they have upon her make this less of a sad story than it might have been

Journal Entry 10 by Heaven-Ali at on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/4/2009 UTC) at

If you have found this book, thank you for taking the time to look it up on the internet. Now please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans for it are.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpeaceangelwing from Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Picked up at the Uncon book table in Edinburgh, looks a great read! Will journal later after reading it...

Journal Entry 12 by wingpeaceangelwing from Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Just loved this wonderful book! A love story but not soppy, and I learnt a lot about Tibet also.

Journal Entry 13 by wingpeaceangelwing at Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Found this after moving house, had kept it aside as my husband wanted to read it, so it will go to his TBR pile now!!!

Journal Entry 14 by wingpeaceangelwing at Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/8/2011 UTC) at Holywood, Co. Down United Kingdom

for my husband Paul - enjoy!!!