corner corner Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel
by Lisa See | Literature & Fiction
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 2/28/2008

status (set by chambejd): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"In nineteenth-century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, “old same,” in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The laotong, Snow Flower, introduces herself by sending Lily a silk fan on which she’s painted a poem in nu shu, a unique language that Chinese women created in order to communicate in secret, away from the influence of men. As the years pass, Lily and Snow Flower send messages on fans, compose stories on handkerchiefs, reaching out of isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments. Together, they endure the agony of foot-binding, and reflect upon their arranged marriages, shared loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their deep friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart."

Second copy of this book. Picked this one up at Goodwill. Great book! :')

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, March 20, 2008

Oops -- forgot to journal this! I'm fairly certain I sent this to brewski ~ 1 1/2 weeks ago as part of a relay. Should be en route, if it hasn't already arrived.....

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 21, 2008

Yay, I found this in my mailbox when I returned from vacation today. Thanks indygo88.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 24, 2008

This novel offered a fascinating and sometimes horrifying look into the life of women in 19th century China. It was a little depressing at times to read this and it was deeply disheartening to see how poorly men treated women. I would like to be able to say that life today is completely different and so much better for women, and to an extent that is true, but sadly I think gender inequality will always exist to some degree.

Back to the book itself. I was very impressed by the vivid storytelling of Lisa See, as I could practically hear the snap of toe bones during the foot binding process. Ouch!

Overall I enjoyed this book very much and will definitely read more of Lisa See's writing.

Journal Entry 5 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 01, 2008

Accepted by chambejd for the International Reverse Wishlist Relay. I have dropped this in the mail this morning.

Journal Entry 6 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm thrilled to finally have this wishlist book. I'm looking forward to reading it soon! Thanks, brewski!