corner corner Podkayne of Mars

by Robert A. Heinlein | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by spacecam on 2/26/2008

status (set by JessicaEby): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by spacecam on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

This book really began traveling on14th September 1977 when It was stamped as being owned by Dorset County Library. I don't know how long it was in the library system for but when it was withdrawn from stock my friend Jim paid 20p for it. Jim moved up to Uttoxeter some years ago and I met him when I started to volunteer there in 2006. Jim and I often used to discuss books as we both love reading and were pleased to discover we had a similar taste in science-fiction. Jim died in spring 2007 and his family donated his extensive book collection to the charity where I met Jim. I bought quite a lot of Jim's books and have felt a connection to him by reading them. I am now letting them go as I read them in the hope that they will spread pleasure to more people.

Like some other books by Heinlein this one makes you chuckle - it's not a roaring comedy but his descriptions of the human condition strike chords in the memory as you read. The main character is a girl from a mars colony who dreams of visiting earth. It is a futuristic thriller with political intrigue. I gave it a 6 because it's not mindblowing - but sometimes it's good just to open a book, relax and enjoy the story. The plot takes some unexpected turns and so does the ending.

Have fun.

Journal Entry 2 by spacecam at Staffordshire University Library in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 28, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (2/28/2008 UTC) at Staffordshire University Library in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom

In the periodicals section on the first floor. Shelved with the "New Scientist" magazines collection.

Journal Entry 3 by demonllama from Cheadle, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 29, 2008

Looked for it in the Periodicals section but was advised by a member of staff that lost items get cleared up each evening and send to the Lost Property box at the main entrance to Thompson Building - which is where I found it!

Am really glad to have found it because firstly I LOVE Heinlein, but also this is my first wild catch! I've been a member since June 2007 and have released loads of books, but never actually caught one!

Journal Entry 4 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I received this from demonllama in this afternoon's post. Thanks, demonllama! This book looks like something quite different from my usual reads, so I'm quite excited about it! Hopefully I'll have more to add to this journal soon!

Journal Entry 5 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 21, 2008

I've just finished reading this book. I think it's the second sci-fi book I've ever read (the first being John Wyndham's The Chrysalids, which is required reading in school here).

I agree with what spacecam said about this book, it's not mindblowing... but it's enjoyable. It did make me chuckle at times, and I found Podkayne quite easy to relate to... we seem to have a lot in common, including a morbid fear of water in quantities exceeding that which is normally found in a bathtub. I also found it interesting to see how the social views and ideals of the early 1960s fit into this vision of life in the future (ie: the views on marriage, child-rearing, women in the work force).

I must say that, as an idealistic and sentimental girl who loves fairies, I found certain parts disturbing... but all in all, it was enjoyable and I'm glad to have read it. :) Thanks to spacecam and demonllama for passing this along... I'm not sure how I will move it on just yet, but I will get it back out into the world to be read by others.

Journal Entry 6 by JessicaEby at Satellite Motel in Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 12, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/12/2009 UTC) at Satellite Motel in Cambridge, Ontario Canada

This book was released for this week's SSM-- SSM041209: Yuri's Night. This is in celebration of two of humanity's space exploration milestones that happened on April 12, the launch of the first human into space (Yuri Gagarin in 1961) and the launch of the first space shuttle (STS-1 in 1981).

I was trying to hang the book from the bars inside the round part of the rocket, which I have wanted to do for a long time... but I am short, so the book was just placed at the rocket's base. Maybe someday I will be able to enlist some tall person's help or something... but for this book, the base will have to do.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to boocrossing, welcome! We'd love it if you'd stick around with us for a while. I hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience! Happy Yuri's Night! And Easter, too, of course!