corner corner Mister Pip

Mister Pip
by Lloyd Jones | Literature & Fiction
Registered by RedDahlia of Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on 2/23/2008

status (set by Torgin): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by RedDahlia from Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, February 23, 2008

TBR

UPDATE:

I released it before making a journal entry. I thought I already had. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it at first and could not understand why it would be shortlisted as a booker prize winner but you will find alot more going on in this book if you stay with it. It does teeter off into unexpected directions. It's a short read (just 219 pages) but it packs alot into it!

Journal Entry 2 by RedDahlia at on Friday, September 19, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (9/20/2008 UTC) at

Taking to the meet-up.

Journal Entry 3 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 20, 2008

Picked up at today's meet-up.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 29, 2009

This isn't the kind of book I usually read & I didn't know what to expect. I thought it left a lot unsaid & I was never sure what was relevant or meaningful. Did it matter that Matilda's mother believed in God and the devil and Mr Watts didn't? Perhaps it was to reinforce that the Islanders' views were restricted by their isolation. It was sad that the peaceful Islanders got mixed up in the conflict. 'Mister Pip' got me thinking about reading 'Great Expectations', I think some reviewers have reread it after reading this book. I'd like to because I haven't read it but have too many books at the moment.
Thanks for sharing RedDahlia.

Journal Entry 5 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 02, 2009

Won by Inge1983 in my RABCK Draw

Journal Entry 6 by Inge1983 from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, May 14, 2009

thanks a lot! look forward reading it

Journal Entry 7 by Inge1983 from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Finished today. I don't know what to think about this one. The first part I find a little boring and then at the end a lot happens in a few pages and the novel is suddenly interesting.

Journal Entry 8 by Inge1983 at A RABCK!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 26, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/26/2009 UTC) at A RABCK!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

sent as a surprise RABCK

Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookCrosserwing from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, July 02, 2009

The book arrived today. Thank you, Inge1983, for the RABCK! It will be my next read.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookCrosserwing from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I loved the book. It is both poetical and harrowing. However, the end was
somewhat of an anti-climax. Nevertheless, I would recommend it.

Journal Entry 11 by wingBookCrosserwing at n/a, n/a -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 14, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/16/2009 UTC) at n/a, n/a -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 12 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, November 20, 2009

Arrived today, thank you very much! I can't guarantee I'll manage to read it this year but it's high priority.

Journal Entry 13 by SJJ-315643 on Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Mister Pip" is about how a story can change your life and about the magic of books. About the fact, that you have to fight for your ideals and what you get in return. About conflicts and loss and memories. And about the end of childhood.
I liked the book very much! Lloyd Jones is a talented story teller who doesn't shy away from the terrors of war without offering stereotypes. The plot is complex and surprising, the characters well developed, Lloyds enjoyable style ranges from Dickens to Pidgin.

Aldawen, thank you very much for sharing!

Journal Entry 14 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, April 30, 2010

Ups, got this one back from MinnieMay quite some time ago.

I've heard and read a lot about the book before I got it, that's why it was on wishlist. I haven't read Great Expectations by now, but I don't think I missed to much because of this fact - although perhaps I would have enjoyed some details even more. Really amazing how Jones shifts from a childhood idyll to the terrors of a guerilla war just casually. I agree with MinnieMay on the qualities of the novel, definitely Jones is now on my authors-to-be-watched list.

Journal Entry 15 by Torgin at The Gladstone Arms in Chippenham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 06, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (5/5/2010 UTC) at The Gladstone Arms in Chippenham, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Left it on the game machine. Enjoy!