corner corner The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur

The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur
by Daoud Hari | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by MarciNYC of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on 2/8/2008

status (set by H-HEAD): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by MarciNYC from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 08, 2008

INTERNATIONAL BOOKRAY
Forum thread: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/5114830

Once you're a member of this ray, you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it, read it as soon as you can, and journal again with your thoughts, ideas, or opinions on it. You’ll then need to PM the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book to the next person on the list then sit back and watch the journey continue!

The participants are:
soffitta1
Roxy4
H-HEAD (US only)
rockbird (US only)

I'm a pretty hands-off person when it comes to rings/rays. If you don't get a response from the next person on the list after a *reasonable* amount of time, skip 'em. :) Last reader can do whatever s/he wants with the book - wild release it, RABCK it, or continue the bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by MarciNYC from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 08, 2008

Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down until I turned the last page. The events of Darfur have been in the news for what seems like forever. Reading Daoud's story brought the personal angle to the story. It is like sitting down and listening to him tell you a story - complete with the rambles and then getting back on track.

Time and time again, I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen to Daoud and his companions. Frustration, sadness, and anger were the emotions I felt as I read this book. He took many chances, risked his life time and again to get this story out to the world.

I'm grateful for Douad Hari for taking the time to write this book. It's an easy read, but not always a pleasant subject. According to the author's bio, Douad currently lives not too far from me. I'm hoping that there's an event promoting this book near me as I'd like to hear him speak.

---

09 Feb 2008
Book is on its way to ealasaidmae as of this morning. Anxious to see what you all think about the book.

Journal Entry 3 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Monday, February 11, 2008

It's here! Thank you, MarciNYC! It's #2 on my TBR; right now I'm smack in the middle of a John le Carre spy novel and I have to know what happens. But this is next. :)

Journal Entry 4 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Monday, February 18, 2008

I think Daoud Hari would be good company. He's so cheerful and easygoing; but the matter-of-fact understatement of his storytelling just makes it all the more horrific.

Journal Entry 5 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On its way to Trelk in Switzerland.

Journal Entry 6 by Trelk from Grand-Lancy, Genève Switzerland on Thursday, February 28, 2008

Got it ! I just finished the book I was reading so I'll start this one right away.

Thanks !

Journal Entry 7 by Trelk from Grand-Lancy, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A very interesting testimony. I can't say I have been hooked from beginning to end but I really recommand the book to everyone who wants to know more about what's happening in the world beyond our little everyday problems. There are some really powerful pages in this book. Most of all, it's realising what is going on over there and that the international community just don't give a s*** that is like a hit in the stomach.

Mr. Hari writing's style may not be the most revolutionary but the book is really easy to read, even if your english is a bit rusty like mine unfortunately is.

Thanks for sharing MarciNYC

******

Got LeishaCamden's address. Will be on its (Nor)way tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 8 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, March 15, 2008

Got this in the mail from Switzerland today. Thanks MarciNYC for sharing and Trelk for sending the book on to me. It looks very interesting and I think I'll be able to start on it right away. I'll journal again when I've read the book.

Journal Entry 9 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I received my latest issue of National Geographic in the mail yesterday and look what's in it:

Lost in the Sahel

This is the article Paul Salopek was writing when he travelled into Darfur with Daoud Hari. It's very interesting to read the story from his perspective, after reading Hari's.

Edited to add the link! I forgot the JEs don't automatically turn websites into links. Sorry!

Journal Entry 10 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, August 08, 2008

OMG ... !!!

This book is still here with me! :-o And I have read it - ages ago!! I'm so sorry!! It should have moved on to Finland months ago!! MarciNYC - and everyone else in the ray - I am SO SORRY for being so incredibly slow (or rather slow-witted) and keeping the book for so long! I can't believe I've managed to overlook it for this long. :-( I hang my head in shame ... !! It will be back on the road again VERY soon now!!

So, I did read the book ... I was very glad to get the chance to, it was a very worthwhile and interesting book. Not that well written, but I didn't expect it to be either. I mean, Hari is not a professional writer and most ghost writers (as he probably must have had on this book) aren't that good at writing either (I'm sorry, but if they were, they'd be writing their own stuff, wouldn't they? ;-) and ghostwritten books generally are not among the best) so I didn't expect the writing to be the book's strongest suit. This wasn't a book that interested me for its potential literary qualities ... I wanted to hear a credible inside voice from Darfur, and I really felt the book lived up to my expectations in that way. It was so interesting to get to hear from someone who really was a part of it and had seen it and managed to convey it to the reader without making it all seem hopeless. It's a sad and desperate situation, definitely ... but with people like Hari around, with strength and optimism and a willingness to risk himself like he has ... there may be hope after all. :-) I loved his idea about someone who could invent refugee camp shelters that would be easy to use, easy to make so that many could be produced, lightweight and durable being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I would totally support that. Fantastic idea. :-)

I hope Hari will be able to travel and meet people and work as much as he can to raise awareness about Darfur and its situation. I wish him the best of luck in his very important work.

And again, I'm SO SORRY for managing to keep this book for so long. It was a complete oversight and I hope I can be forgiven. :-(

Journal Entry 11 by LeishaCamden at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 09, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/9/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This book is now finally on its way to hippolein in Helsinki ... !!

Journal Entry 12 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, August 14, 2008

Book arrived today in Finland. Hope we'll (my wife and me) be able to read it soon and then pass it on to the next person in the list. Thanks for everybody involved in making this ray work out!

Journal Entry 13 by Teddyke from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 29, 2008

Enjoyed reading this even though the story itself is terrible... Was amazed how he never lost his sense of humour and even joked when he could have been killed any second. It certainly made real what you hear in the news and all that!

Journal Entry 14 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 30, 2008

Good this was not a very thick book, as it is hard to put it aside once you started reading it. Was a very clear view of the situation in Darfur, seen from inside. A bit colored through the known languages and the language it was written in, but at least you get a fairly good idea of what is happening, and it doesn't look as good as some persons want us to believe.
The narrator does his best not to scare away the readers, and mixes in some optimism and faith in good order.
Certainly worth the effort to read it, hope it will get translated in enough languages to make it available all over.

now waiting for the next address!

Journal Entry 15 by winghippoleinwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 31, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/31/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book left after all still this evening for Portugal.
Good luck on the trip and hope you find a wonderful temporary home there!

Journal Entry 16 by Isabelopes from Cacém, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Received it today. Thank you hippolein.
I'll try to be as fast as I can.
Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 17 by Isabelopes from Cacém, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Goes out to teuffi tomorrow. PMed beebarf twice and got no answer. I was really touched by this true story. It's really sad that this kind of things stills happens in our times!!

Journal Entry 18 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Apologies for the late journalling, I received this book last week just as I was about to go away for a few days.

Thank you for passing it on Isabelopes!

Journal Entry 19 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, November 27, 2008

I read this book last night as I could not sleep... What a read!

Of course I saw the TV reports on Darfur but I cannot remember any of them while this book will stay in a corner of my mind. It brought me tears at times, horrified me (although I felt Daoud 'protected' us by often not going into too many details and making it sound as if some events happened in a much quicker way than they actually were and felt for the victims) but also made me smile as Daoud kept his sense of humour.

Aside from the violent acts, I also find very saddening the fact that these events affect a people who still have what I consider as the highest values, e.g. an immense sense of care for their neighbours, the will to bring good to others (how many times does Daoud mention he wants to help and make things better for everyone around him)... In a world where these values are more and more forgotten, I find it frustrating to know that people who still care so much are being pushed to think like the rest of the world...

Let's hope this book will end up on many shelves and open people's eyes on what happens not so far away. It will definitely make me try to learn more about events beside the official news.

Thanks very much MarciNYC for sharing this book.

I have soffitta1's address so the book should be on its way to the next reader before the end of the week.

Journal Entry 20 by teuffi at nearest postoffice, Ring/Ray book -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 28, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (11/28/2008 UTC) at nearest postoffice, Ring/Ray book -- Controlled Releases

Book sent this morning. Thanks again for sharing!

Journal Entry 21 by wingsoffitta1wing from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thanks for sending me this, it looks like a very interesting read.

A rare chance to get a personal account of the events in Dafur from a local, not just the journalists. Daoud risked his life to fight the injustice in his country, not with a gun, but with English. He accompanied various foreigners, including some trying to acertain whether there was genocide in the region. The book also covers when Daoud, a foreigner and their driver were taken prisoner.

A very true, matter of fact account about the war-torn region, but told by a man with a big heart.

I have the next address, will post it on to Ireland after the holiday on Monday. 09/12

Journal Entry 22 by Roxy4 from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, December 13, 2008

Received book today. Thanks soffitta1. Will be able to start in the next few days.

Journal Entry 23 by Roxy4 from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm really glad I got the opportunity to read this book. I remember Darfur being in the news but it's accounts like this that really bring the horrific events closer to home. It is unbelievable what horrible deeds man is capable of.
I also thought that Daoud's simple way of relating what happened was very effective. It was almost as if he deliberately detached himself from the events.

Thanks for releasing MarciNYC!

Sent to H-HEAD yesterday 13th Jan.

Journal Entry 24 by H-HEAD from Fairfield, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I received this yesterday and am looking forward to reading it. I will probably start after the semester switch where I work.(This weekend) And mrsjones has stated that she wants to read it as well. But I will start and journal soon!!

Journal Entry 25 by H-HEAD from Fairfield, Ohio USA on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Very different from the other stories I have read lately on Darfur. Not the story itself but the way it is related. It was very hard for me to read it due to his "matter of factness." The story seemed almost unreal. Daoud Hari does seem to have a big heart. It was amazing and inspiring the way he repeatedly risked his life and endured torture to do what was right. Thank you for letting me participate and read this book.I will send it on as soon as I get an address from rockbird.

Journal Entry 26 by H-HEAD at Cincinnati Museum Center in Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, April 03, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/3/2009 UTC) at Cincinnati Museum Center in Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Left in the RACE exhibit next to the section about speech
and how people sound to each other. The exhibit deals with race and how
people are not so different other than the social constructs of race.
It raised a lot of interesting questions and mrsjones and I felt it was the perfect place to leave this book.