corner corner Don't Eat This Book

Don't Eat This Book
by Morgan Spurlock | Nonfiction
Registered by Liinuskainen of Lieksa, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on 1/30/2008

status (set by Physalis74): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Liinuskainen from Lieksa, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Though he wasn't much of an activist before his monthlong, McDonald's-eating experiment (documented in his film Super Size Me), Spurlock has since become a crusader for healthy eating. In this book delves more deeply into the issues his film raised, focusing in particular on food industry lobbyists and youth-oriented advertising. His undisguised indignation at their manipulative tactics and his contempt for the often slothful modern American lifestyle rise inexorably as he reels off statistics about calorie content, chemical additives, lack of exercise and so on."

Journal Entry 2 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 13, 2008

This 'piggy' book arrived yesterday, thanks Liinuskainen!

14.10.2008: I did believe before that fast food is not good on your health but according to the book, it’s so much worse than I could have imagined.

Journal Entry 3 by oofiri from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I came across this at the BC Helsinki meet today. I've felt a bit curious about Spurlock's experiment ever since I heard of it. Probably won't bother to watch the movie, so why not read the book instead :-)

Journal Entry 4 by oofiri from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thanks a million, Liinuskainen and thy!

This book inspired me to several really delicious, multicolored, home-cooked, deeply satisfying vegetarian and semi-vegetarian meals. So something good came out of the scourge of America :-P

Not that we eat Mc"Food" anyway. (Well, the kids might go to Hesburger say once a month.) But I cared more, after reading Spurlock.

Journal Entry 5 by lottuli from Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo / Södra Savolax Finland on Thursday, October 30, 2008

The book is now with me. I have seen the movie partially, and I'd like to see it again. Reading this book will (hopefully) be as inspirational to me as it was to oofiri.

Journal Entry 6 by lottuli at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 12, 2010

I've been reading several food related books recently and they have certainly had an effect on my eating. I sure will be even more careful about my eating. These books are real inspiration for healthier food :)

Now this book is heading to Kemppu, happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The book is here, thank you! I've seen the movie Super Size Me, which was good - and appropriately disgusting. Let's see what this book is like. Although I never eat at McDonalds and nowadays neither in Hesburger, perhaps the book will help me to stick with taking a good, home-made lunch to work instead of buying some ready-to-eat carbs & additives bomb.

Journal Entry 8 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A well written and easy-to-read book and a good read for anyone interested in food and health, even though it's about the USA and directed at Americans. I don't think the fast food situation is as bad here as it is in the USA, but it's probably bad enough. Particularly the "circle of life" text about meat industry made me really happy about not eating meat, and wonder that McFood can actually be called food.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, September 23, 2010

From tonight's BC meet-up.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sipanuma ilmoitti haluavansa lukea tämän seuraavaksi. Siirretty joululomalukemistoon.

***
Edit. Kirja lähtee Sipanumalle vihdoin ensi viikolla.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, February 15, 2013

Yup, this was a quick and easy read (once I had time to start reading it), and it might make you think twice before eating some fast food again. Obviously the book is mostly talking about the situation in the US, but we are no strangers to McDonald's and similar fast food chains either. At least the kids don't get hamburgers and fries for lunch in Finnish schools. (As far as I know.)

Journal Entry 12 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, February 15, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/15/2013 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Postitettu tänään sipanumalle.

Osallistun tällä vapautuksella Appelsiinin 52 viikkoa -vapautushaasteeseen.
Viikon 7 teema: käskyt ja niiden noudattaminen. Aiemmat lukijat ovat ansiokkaasti noudattaneet kirjan nimessä esiintyvää käskyä, eivätkä ole syöneet kirjaa. Toivottavasti sitä ei syö sipanumakaan - eikä posti.

Journal Entry 13 by sipanuma at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 18, 2013

Thanks myntti :D Kieltämättä hiukan houkuttaisi maistaa kiellettyä hedelmää, haukkasta palanen kirjasta.

Edit 7.3.2013: Yeah, Morgan Spurlock is cool and should be awarded some Nobel prize for his work. It's a dog-gone shame they didn't translate this one into Finnish here :/

Journal Entry 14 by sipanuma at -- Somewhere in Helsinki / Jossain päin kaupunkia in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/7/2013 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Helsinki / Jossain päin kaupunkia in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Sending it to makke :)

Journal Entry 15 by makke at Lähetetty postitse, Finland -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 11, 2013

Hep-kirja. Odotan innolla, että ehdin lukea. Kiitos Sipanuma!

Journal Entry 16 by makke at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The best parts in the book were the marks on page 41-59 which actually looked like bite marks. :)

Seriously speaking, this is an important book about an important theme. I have read the books of Mats-Eric Nilsson (I warmly recommend if available in your language!) which also handle about the sick phenomenom of processed food, but this view into the American way was totally interesting. I haven't seen the movie but the book woke my interest. The one thing I didn't like about the book was the "street" language such as "hey that's a hell lot of damn money, dude". I bet adult readers can understand even bigger numbers without a need of getting duded.

Journal Entry 17 by makke at Meet Up in Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/1/2013 UTC) at Meet Up in Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

Bringing this with me to the meet-up.

Journal Entry 18 by wingPhysalis74wing at Wedding, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Habe das Buch vom Sonder-MeetUp in Berlin-Charlottenburg mit finnischen und brandenburger Besuch mitgenommen.

War ein sehr schönes Treffen! Bis bald mal wieder.