corner corner Pimp My Cubicle: Take Your Workspace from Boring to Bling!

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 26, 2008

I'd bought the "Pimp My Cubicle" book-and-accessories some time back and enjoyed it very much (see my comments on that copy, and a photo of the accessories in action, here), so when I found another copy of the book on the sale racks at the BookCellar, I couldn't resist nabbing it - not least because I can paste my previous comments:

This little book was lots more fun than I expected from its slim size. While the concept of decorating a cubicle isn't entirely new (there's at least one other book out about this, Cube Chic), this book takes it to wonderful extremes: each suggested theme comes with a list of components, estimated cost - and advice on how to threaten, bribe, or blackmail your manager if s/he tries to make you remove your new decorations! A few examples: the "Beachfront Cubicle" design involves covering the floor with sand and installing a tanning lamp, in addition to the less unexpected palm-tree-in-the-corner/tropical-screen-saver ideas. Under "Benefits" it says "Studies show that tanned, relaxed workers are much more likely to get respect, promotions, and invitations to after-work cocktails than the pale, nervous wrecks who actually get things done."

A more offbeat option: the "Wizard of Oz Cubicle" - no, there's no yellow brick road or red slippers. In this case the wizard is the man behind the curtain, so the scheme calls for huge red velvet curtains to surround your cube and add an air of mystery, a closed-circuit video screen so you can project your image without actually having to face people, and lots of dry ice and strobes to enhance the effect. And "if a manager gets Wicked Witchy Poo on your redesign scheme: route your microphone through an equalizer to distort your voice into something particularly terrifying - say a cross between Darth Vader and Tammy Faye Baker. Then announce that you're surprised to see the manager show his or her face in public due to (fill in the blank with some gossip you've heard about the manager; if you haven't heard any, just ad lib something particularly disgusting)."

Getting the general idea? I think these are more in the Dilbert-character school of design - but some of 'em still do sound like fun, such as the Dominatrix Dungeon cubicle ['nuff said], and the "Barbecuebicle", both of which include the hopeful suggestions that you might be able to recoup the costs of the redesign by charging for services or food (respectively).

So... this is a totally frivolous book, but in a *good* way!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 04, 2008

I'm offering this book for an international bookray; see forum thread here, and reply to that thread if interested! [The book is fairly small - 4 ounces, 5" x 9.5", 62-pages - so I hope that even international postage won't be very high.]

Bookray/ring instructions:

1. When you receive the book, please journal it, and PM the next person in line for their address so you'll have it ready when you've finished the book. Note: even if you've sent books to that person before, please PM them before mailing this one, to confirm that the address is correct and that they're able to take on a bookring book at this time.

2. Try and read the book promptly - ideally, within three weeks of receiving it (it's short!). (If you expect to take longer, you can request to be put at the end of the list. If you find you're swamped with other books when the person before you contacts you about the bookring, you can ask to be skipped, and then let me know whether you'd like to be moved down the list or dropped entirely. If you receive the book and find it's taking longer than you'd planned to get through it, I'd appreciate an update in its journal entries or on your profile, just to let me and the other participants know you haven't forgotten it.)

3. When you're ready to pass the book along, please make another journal entry containing your comments about the book and stating where you've sent it, and set the book's status code to "traveling". [If you find that you're having problems contacting the next person in line, or don't think you can manage to mail the book as originally agreed, please let me know; I'll be glad to try to work something out.]

Participants in mailing order:

Spiegel [Brazil]
nwpassage [Canada]
Ktbean [Canada]
Busyangel [Florida]

* Book seems to have been sent to Busyangel, who's been having a lot of difficulties (see her forum update here); hope Busyangel can retrench, and that the book will turn up somewhere eventually!

whiskeyjane [New Mexico]
yvensong [Nevada]

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 07, 2008

Controlled release: I'm sending this book to BCer Megi53 in Virginia to kick off the bookray. Hope everyone enjoys it!

Journal Entry 4 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, February 11, 2008

Lots of cool things to look at here: great wrapping job and my first look at Bookplate #21; white font on orange background to exercise my eyes; entertaining illustrations. I just got the book today and already read Pimping instructions #1-4! I like elements of them all.

More soon.

Journal Entry 5 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How I do love a book I can finish in an evening or two! Regan (the Rev's real name) has a way with words. I first noticed it when he said (page 27) that "dom chic migrated into the mainstream over the past decade, then dug their stiletto heels into the streambed so they could stick around for the long haul."

He has a wry take on working for a living: (page 45) "slaving away for the greater fiscal glory of amoral managers and unemployed aristocratic investors."

Laugh if you must, but one reason I signed up for this ray was to get genuine ideas for spicing up my dull checkout counter in the library. Naturally, students would prefer the Video Arcade Cubicle. Teachers who don't already have a Zen, Coffee Shop, Beachfront, or Jungle Cubicle in their classrooms would surely be attracted to a Day Spa or Mini Mall in the media center.

After contemplating whether the Wizard of Oz model wouldn't garner more respect for my position, I've settled on ... the Dude Ranch! I'll add a photo to this journal entry when it's done.

The Rev's got my number, though. In the conclusion (page 62), he scolds: "So you're reading this conclusion. Which leads me to a grim conclusion about you: you haven't pimped your cubicle yet." (Yes, that photo might be months in coming.)

I have NMReader's address and will be mailing this to her by Monday the 18th.

Journal Entry 6 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mailed yesterday (Friday, Feb. 15) to NMReader via first class mail.

Just taking this extra opportunity to say I'm so glad I read this when I did -- it added to my enjoyment of the thread this post was in: PimpWings

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, February 21, 2008

Arrived today. Looking forward to a good laugh and the opportunity to get to pimpin' on my cube. Added to mount tbr.

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, March 03, 2008

I can only imagine the reaction if I tried any of the schemes suggested.

Quick fun read.

VividReader is moving and I am waiting for a new address so I can mail the book

Journal Entry 9 by NMReader at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/4/2008 UTC) at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Received address and will try to mail today

Journal Entry 10 by VividReader from Portland, Oregon USA on Monday, March 10, 2008

Got this book yesterday! I'll start reading it right away.

Journal Entry 11 by VividReader from Portland, Oregon USA on Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hilarious book! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing, GoryDetails!

Mailed to Lumbermoose yesterday.

Journal Entry 12 by Lumbermoose from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Arrived today. I have one ahead of this one, but I should finish it by next week.

Journal Entry 13 by Lumbermoose from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, March 30, 2008

I read this one last night -- really funny!! I kept picturing the changes I could make at work with some of these ideas...
Sending on to klaradyn.

Thank you, GoryDetails!

Journal Entry 14 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Arrived today. Thanks for sending on, Lumbermoose, and for sharing, GoryDetails. Will read and send on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 15 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Thursday, April 24, 2008

Read this one over supper yesterday evening. Very, very funny. Unfortunately I only have half a cubicle (a desk with partitions), otherwise my version of Oz would already have been up and running. Ha! I'm imagining the reactions from my colleagues now. Tee hee.

Already packaged up, will send to chich tomorrow.

Journal Entry 16 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Friday, April 25, 2008

Now on the way to France via airmail.

My book #23 for guinaveve's Keep Them Moving challenge.

Journal Entry 17 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Sunday, June 01, 2008

Image hosting by Photobucket Book received today, thanks for passing it on klaradyn and for starting this ring GoryDetails

Journal Entry 18 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Yet another hilarious ring from the hands of GoryDetails! I just loved the "Wizard of Oz Cubicle" and shall start looking for velvet curtains on my next shopping spree;)

Thanks again for sharing this fun read with us GoryDetails

Journal Entry 19 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Book sent to Spiegel today, enjoy!

Entry #22 for the 2008 Keep Them Moving Challenge

This entry also qualifies for the Lifetime Release Challenge.

Journal Entry 20 by Spiegel from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil on Saturday, July 05, 2008

The book is here! Thanks Gory and Chich. I'm looking forward to spicing up my workplace. *g*

Journal Entry 21 by Spiegel from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil on Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The humor was a little hit and miss for me and I was expecting more of the suggestions to be in the crazy-but-feasible category. Still, an amusing book.

Out of curiosity I googled Antonio Fargas, to whom the book is dedicated. Oh yes, he was in Starsky and Hutch. That brings back memories. *g*

We only have desks at work, currently decorated with action figures and McDonald's happy meals toys (check out the fashionable crochet accessories in the uploaded image. Tell me the X-Files alien doesn't look pimpilicious).

I have nwpassage's address, but the post office is on strike. I'll send the book when the situation is back to normal.

Journal Entry 22 by Spiegel from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil on Monday, August 04, 2008

The post office is back to normal, so I'm sending the book to the next participant. In the meantime, I've found some links about cubicle pimping, with pictures:

Mahogany cubicle

19 cubicles (I like the Tiki bar!)

12 ways to pimp your office (A meeting bed? Who thought that one up?)

Journal Entry 23 by Spiegel at Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil on Monday, August 04, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/4/2008 UTC) at Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil

Mailed to Canada today (tracking info).

Journal Entry 24 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Monday, August 18, 2008

ooh ooh it's here!!! Really looking forward to this one, my office has just moved (again) and we could use some tips! TBR

From the front cover:

PIMP MY CUBICLE
TAKE YOUR WORKSPACE FROM BORING TO BLING!
by Reverend Smoothello G. Debaclous

From the back cover:

NOW YOU CAN PIMP OUT YOUR DREARY OFFICE WORKSPACE with this humorous guide that outlines how you can use bling to remodel your barren cubicle in true pimp style. This book humorously describes sample cubicles for every personality, so you're sure to find something that appeals to your inner pimp. From the Beachfront Cubicle that makes you feel as if you're sunning yourself on the sands of the Bahamas -- pina colada in hand -- to the Oz Cubicle where you can become the "man behind the curtain", this book covers it all.

INCLUDES CREATIVE AND ORIGINAL DESIGN IDEAS FOR:
  • Jailhouse Cubicle
  • Penthouse Cubicle
  • Taj Mahacubicle
  • and many more!
With Pimp My Cubicle -- and the power of your own imagination -- your workspace can become the hottest and most talked about stop on the way to the water cooler.

Journal Entry 25 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, September 06, 2008

This was fun! I took it into work and it made the water cooler rounds, to the amusement of most... although the owner of the company seemed a little concerned about my fondness for the Dominatrix Dungeon, and insisted that his squeamishness was NOT "a cry for help from a closet submissive", whatever this book said. Hmph! :P

Thanks for sharing, Gory et al! This'll be in the mail to Ktbean on Monday.

Journal Entry 26 by Ktbean from Creston, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pulled out of the mail today. Yay! What a neat looking book. Can't wait to read it. :)
Thanks!

Journal Entry 27 by Ktbean from Creston, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wow what a funny book. I think I'll go with the Day Spa one. :)
Thanks for starting this one!
I'm sending this one off as soon as I get the next address.