corner corner The Magus

The Magus
by John Fowles | Literature & Fiction
Registered by suedo of Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, January 25, 2008

status (set by Mizuchy): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, January 25, 2008

This book came to me in January courtesy of a kind lady who volunteers at Oxfam. Oxfam have to dispose of books that do not sell, and locally I receive some of these books and try to share them through bookcrossing.
If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome. Please make as few or as many comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose. Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us.

Journal Entry 2 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, February 21, 2008

taking to the convention for cat207

Journal Entry 3 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, April 19, 2008

Received from suedo at the London Convention. Thank you.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Friday, May 23, 2008

I mailed this book home from Dover on 22/04/08 in one of three separate packages. One package arrived on 05/05/08. The other two have yet to surface. Thirteen books are 'lost at sea'. I will initiate an enquiry at the Post Office, but I don't hold out much hope.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Friday, July 04, 2008

My other two packages arrived home today - I'm so glad. I hope they had a lovely leisurely trip home!

Journal Entry 6 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 27, 2009

Book Description

A man trapped in a millionare's deadly game of political and sexual betrayal.
Filled with shocks and chilling surprises, The Magus is a masterwork of contemporary literature. In it, a young Englishman, Nicholas Urfe, accepts a teaching position on a Greek island where his friendship with the owner of the islands most magnificent estate leads him into a nightmare. As reality and fantasy are deliberately confused by staged deaths, erotic encounters, and terrifying violence, Urfe becomes a desperate man fighting for his sanity and his life. A work rich with symbols, conundrums and labrinthine twists of event, The Magus is as thought-provoking as it is entertaining, a work that ranks with the best novels of modern times.

At times I couldn't understand why Nicholas just didn't walk away from it all - but I guess it had to be played out till the end or he'd be forever left wondering. It certainly played with my head!

Thanks, suedo, for this book. Sorry it took so long to get to. But I'm sure you know how high Mt TBR can get.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 27, 2009

Going travelling on an international bookray.

The participants:-

Caroley - UK - EU
shovelmonkey1 - UK - Int'l
mafarrimond - UK - Int'l

EmgeeNL (& B/F) - The Netherlands - EU
Mizuchy - Romania - EU
Tubereader - LUX - EU

No rules - just manners!

Journal Entry 8 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, August 31, 2009

Heading off in today's mail to Caroley in UK.

Journal Entry 9 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Arrived today thanks.

I don't have any other bookrings at the moment, but am halfway through a book that resembles a housebrick in size, so won't start this one for a few days yet. It will be the next one to be read though.

Journal Entry 10 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, September 20, 2009

Thanks so much for sharing this one Cat. What a marvellous book!

Every time I thought I'd got it figured out, it all changed again. So many twists and turns, it does indeed mess with your head. I'm still not entirely sure what did happen but I really enjoyed the journey.

I've PMd shovelmonkey1 for an address and hope to get it sent on its way asap.

Journal Entry 11 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 26, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/26/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted 2nd class to Shovelmonkey1

Journal Entry 12 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 26, 2009

Received today (it was picked up for me over a week ago by a work friend who forgot to pass it on to me - sorry for the delay in journaling!). Looking forward to reading this, it sounds good. Thanks for sharing. I have one other book ring to finish first so will get to this as soon as i can.

Journal Entry 13 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, December 18, 2009

hello everybody - i am shovelmonkey1 and i have been a bad book crosser - ok well more like a forgetful one. I'm working away from home at the moment but i normally get home every weekend. However this month has been an exception and i am trapped in my place of work, even working over the weekends until christmas... yes 7 day working... no christmas cheer here! I foolishly left this book at home accidentally about 3.5 weeks ago. Therefore i owe profound apologies to all who have waited for this book. I will post it over the christmas period and keep this bookray moving. Sorry again for the delay. I have posted a "consolation" RABCK to mafarrimond who is the next person on the list by way of apology for the wait and hope that this will tide them over in the meantime. Sorry!

Journal Entry 14 by shovelmonkey1 at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, January 01, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/1/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This book leaves my hands today after being static for far too long. I tried to finish it but didn't have any more time and i've held up this bookray for far too long so apologies once again to everyone and cat207 who started this bookray and has been very patient since October. This book is travelling to Mafarrimond who is next on the list.

Journal Entry 15 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, January 16, 2010

The book arrived safely today. I have a few books to read before this but will read as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 16 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, February 19, 2010

Reading The Magus felt a little like watching the television series Lost - The more I read, the less I understood. A strange strange story line but one that kept me interested through to the end.

Journal Entry 17 by mafarrimond at Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Friday, February 19, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/20/2010 UTC) at Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania

Posting on.

Journal Entry 18 by Mizuchy from Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Got it today from the post office. I look forward to reading it. It might take a while, as I have two other bookrings to finish first.
Thank you for sharing!