corner corner No Place for a Woman: The Autobiography of Outback Publican, Mayse Young

No Place for a Woman: The Autobiography of Outback Publican, Mayse Young
by Mayse Young, Gabrielle Dalton | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by juli2007 of Beachmere, Queensland Australia on 1/19/2008

status (set by katrinat): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by juli2007 from Beachmere, Queensland Australia on Saturday, January 19, 2008

A lovely story about a young woman growing up in the Australian outback, travelling around a bit before settling down in N.T.

Journal Entry 2 by juli2007 from Beachmere, Queensland Australia on Monday, January 21, 2008

This is my FIRST bookring, and I have to say I am SOOOO EXCITED!!!

I will be mailing to first person on list soon, I have left this ring open for the moment (please pm me if you'd like to join). When you have received the book, read and journaled it, please refer to this journal entry for the next person in line and pm them for their postal address. Let's keep this book moving by reading it within 3-4 weeks. Thank you to those already on the list and HAPPY BOOKCROSSING!!!

1. jmsmom
2. hopi100
3. NMReader
4. esq228
5. Vividreader
6. kayjay33
7. Kimmi
8. PRCS
9. katrinat....book is here!
10. TheDunedan
11. nikel27
12. penelopewanders
13. rmjwold
14. juli2007 (back to me if no more on list)

Journal Entry 3 by wingjmsmomwing from Newalla, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, February 02, 2008

received in todays mail. Will pm hopi100 for address and hopefully have it read and ready to go in a couple weeks. Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjmsmomwing from Newalla, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

an interesting book. I'll try to get it off to hopi100 within the next few days.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjmsmomwing at controlled release in controlled release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 16, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (2/16/2008 UTC) at controlled release in controlled release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

sent to hopi100

Journal Entry 6 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, February 22, 2008

This just arrived today! I'll queue it up after my current bookring and get it moving again ASAP. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 7 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm so sorry for the delay -- I've been sick for the last two weeks (sinus-related, so don't worry, I won't be mailing germs with the book! ;)). At any rate this book should be moving again shortly. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 8 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 05, 2008

Just a quick note to apologize for the delay in shipping this book -- my illness turned into bronchitis, so I've been down for the count for a little bit. I'll have this in the mail next week to the next reader!

Journal Entry 9 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, April 11, 2008

What a great book! I really enjoyed reading about Mayse Young's life and am so thankful to have learned about this wonderful woman!

Tomorrow I'll send this book on to NMReader. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 10 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, May 07, 2008

It has arrived

Journal Entry 11 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What a wonderful story and a fascinating woman. She makes me appreciate how hardy and strong woman can be and how easy we have it now compared with earlier in time.

I hope that I might exhibit half her courage and determination.

Journal Entry 12 by NMReader at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/25/2008 UTC) at Post Office in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

I will drop at the PO tomorrow

Journal Entry 13 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Monday, July 21, 2008

Arrived safely in NJ! I'm finishing a coupe of other bookring books and will start on this next. Thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sorry it took me so long to finish this book, I just couldn't get through it but I also didn't want to just give up. So...I finally finished and it was ... OK. But it wasn't great and the farther I got into it the harder it got to finish. But I'm done and ready to send it on...just waiting for the address.

9/29/08 -- Sending to next reader (kayjay33) today!

Journal Entry 15 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Monday, October 20, 2008

The book arrived today , and I have already read a few pages and of course I looked at the pictures. I had just finished a bookray so the timing was good.

Journal Entry 16 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mayse Young had quite an unusual life. The story begins in 1913 and continues until 1974 when Typhoon Tracy destroyed her home once again. She raised a large family with little help from her hard drinking husband Joe . He only seemed to come home often enough to get her pregnant again.
The book is spattered with local expressions such as Chooks which I think are chickens, willy-willies (whirlwinds) going for a bogey (a swim) and one that I did not find the meaning for. The fellow was "humping his bluey"
I am waiting for the next reader to send her address ,then I will have the book on its way.

Journal Entry 17 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (10/29/2008 UTC) at Langley, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Using a special envelope, i dropped this book in a mail box this morning but forgot until now to do a release note. Kimmi should have it tomorrow.

Journal Entry 18 by Kimmi from Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, November 02, 2008

This arrived on Friday. I am in the middle of a book at the moment and I have another ring ahead of it but I'll get it read ASAP! Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 19 by Kimmi from Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, December 20, 2008

Woah! I`ve had this book way too long! I have the next address and it`s on its way in the next day or two. Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 20 by PRCS on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thanks for letting me read this book sending it on by mid April to Katrinat via surface mail Happy reading

Journal Entry 21 by katrinat from Southend-on sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thanks for sending, hope to read this late next week

Journal Entry 22 by katrinat at Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, March 01, 2014

I've pulled this from the dusty book shelves for Move-It March, these are books I was excited to read when they arrived but, for one reason or another, they never get anywhere near the top of the reading pile. I have 30-50 pages to give the book a go, if it's a non-starter it'll be released that week, if it's great, bonus, I keep reading.