corner corner Serpico

Serpico
by Peter Maas | Nonfiction
Registered by crrcookie of Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Friday, January 11, 2008

status (set by Czarina12): available

Journal Entry 1 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Friday, January 11, 2008

This is a book that was picked up from a generous freecycler in the area of Waldorf, Maryland!

This is not a book I want to read at this time and I will be marking it as available for release.

Journal Entry 2 by crrcookie at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA on Sunday, April 27, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (4/27/2008 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE BOOK
Welcome to Old Town Kensington's Celebration of the International Day of the Book.

April twenty-third (the festival is on the nearest Sunday) is a symbolic day in world literature. Declared as International Day of the Book by UNESCO in 1995, this celebration of books and literature draws its inspiration from a Catalan tradition, the Festival of the Rose.

Legend has it that Saint George, Patron Saint of Catalonia and international knight-errant, slew a dragon about to devour a beautiful Catalan princess. From the dragon's blood sprouted a rosebush, from which the hero plucked the prettiest rose for the princess. Hence the traditional Rose Festival celebrated in Barcelona since the Middle Ages to honor chivalry and love. In 1923, this lover's "festa" became even more poetic when it merged with "el dia del llibre", or The Day of the Book, to mark the nearly simultaneous deaths of Miguel de Cervantes and William Shakespeare, the two giants of literary history, on April 23, 1616.

On this day in Barcelona, bookstalls and street festivities run the length of the picturesque La Rambla, the old city's main boulevard and, according to the Spanish author Garcia Lorca, "the only street in the world which I wish would never end".

The Town of Kensington, Kensington Literary Group, and the Pauli Bellet Foundation Catalan Library, invite you to celebrate this wonderful day on Howard Ave, our "La Rambla".

Thanks for picking up one of the BookCrossing books that you found at the festival or selected from our booth. If you are joining BookCrossing please consider entering crrcookie as the member that referred you.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Monday, April 28, 2008

This was leftover at the end of the International Day of the Book festival in Kensington, Maryland, yesterday. I hope to continue its journey soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing at Hess in Fort Belvoir, Virginia USA on Monday, June 02, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (6/2/2008 UTC) at Hess in Fort Belvoir, Virginia USA

Left on top of the pump.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 5 by Czarina12 from Springfield, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 31, 2008

Not something that I would normally read, but found the bookcrossing concept interesting so I read it. Interesting read.

CAUGHT IN FORT BELVOIR VIRGINIA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA