corner corner 102 Minutes

102 Minutes
by Jim Dwyer, Kevin Flynn | History
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 2/3/2008

status (set by Rhonder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 03, 2008

I had signed up for a bookring of this one a while back, and somehow, got skipped over. So, I put it on my wishlist (so I wouldn't forget the title), and recently found this copy at BookCloseouts.com.

From the cover -

At 8:46 am on September 11, 2001,
14,000 people were inside the Twin Towers in New York. To them it was just the start of another routine day at work. Over the next 102 minutes each would become part of a drama that changed the world forever.
Of the millions of words written about that unforgettable day, most have been by outsiders. But New York Times reporters Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn report solely from the perspective of those struggling to survive inside the towers; 102 Minutes is the epic story of ordinary men and women finding the bravery and courage to overcome unbelievable odds.
Fateful split-second decisions, chance encounters in smoke-filled stairwells, the heroism of the emergency services who climbed up as everyone else was coming down - this is the authoritative account of the men and women in the World Trade Center - the 12,000 who escaped and the 2,749 who perished.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

This was an amazing and compelling read. I think if I had been (or had family/close friends who had been) personally involved, it might have been a disturbing read. This book takes you inside the tragedy at the twin towers. It tells of decisions and cost-cutting measures (to increase profits) that were made when the buildings were being built back in the 70s that affected the occupants on 9/11/01. Building codes were updated to allow fire stairs to be eliminated, fireproofing materials to not be tested and communication systems to fail that increased the tragedies on that infamous day. This book tells individual stories of the people whose lives were impacted. We meet office workers, firemen, police and Port Authority officers who were all present in that place at that time, some who had to make a special effort to be on the scene, and some who, by the grace of God were not where they should have been whose lives were spared.

This book was promised to Hyphen8 in the wishlist tag game, so soon will be journeying across the ocean. I'm so glad she "made me" read this book now.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 25, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/23/2012 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Mailed this off to Hyphen8 on Thursday for the wishlist tag game. Sorry it took so long. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Received today as a wishlist tag book - thank you for sharing this with me!

(This book arrived with a surprise companion too!)

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes uplifting, sometimes infuriating and ultimately fascinating.

I never made it up to the top of the World Trade Center, but I have a souvenir nonetheless - a blouse I bought from the Banana Republic store in the basement concourse during the summer of 2001. After the events of September 11 that year, it became one of my connections to the tragedy. The next summer a friend and I went and walked around the area a bit; it was still hard to wrap our brains around the enormity of what had happened there, even looking at the dust everywhere and the damage to neighboring buildings.

One thing from this book that stuck in my mind was the weight of the gear the firemen were carrying up the stairs. I know about the Empire State Building stair climb - that always seemed like a huge challenge, but they don't carry fire gear! Yet another reason to respect the first responders and what they do.

It sounds a bit frivolous, but I was reminded of the "choose your adventure" books as I read - where you make a choice and then turn to a certain page to find out what the result is. There were so many people making life-or-death choices without even knowing it that I kept turning to the list in the back of the book to see whether or not they would survive.

Shortly before I read this book, I finished two works of fiction that inspired the movie
"The Towering Inferno"": The Tower and The Glass Inferno. Both books were published in the early 1970s, right around the same time the twin towers were built...and frustratingly, many of the issues that endangered the characters in those stories were factors in the real life disaster on September 11, 2001. The text of 102 Minutes mentions some of the reforms that took place in the aftermath of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and the sinking of the Titanic. I hope that some reforms have also taken place in the wake of the WTC collapse, so that something positive can be said to come from so much tragedy - it sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement in emergency communications as well as safety for tall buildings.

If you're up to it, here's a memorable and thought provoking (if somewhat disturbing) article about one of the people who either jumped or fell from the towers that day. I don't pass judgement on those people because I can't begin to know what it was really like for them, but I think it's important to remember them. The article makes me cry...but I don't think that's altogether a bad thing.

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Sent out as a wishlist tag book. Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 7 by Rhonder at St Paul, Alberta Canada on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thank you hyphen8 for sending this book as well as posting a link to the article about The Falling Man. I still can't truly imagine what that day was like for those involved.