corner corner The Birth of Venus: A Novel

The Birth of Venus: A Novel
by Sarah Dunant | Literature & Fiction
Registered by gnissorckoob of Miami, Florida USA on 1/4/2008

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, January 04, 2008

From Publishers Weekly:
In this arresting tale of art, love and betrayal in 15th-century Florence, the daughter of a wealthy cloth merchant seeks the freedom of marriage in order to paint, but finds that she may have bought her liberty at the cost of love and true fulfillment. Alessandra, 16, is tall, sharp-tongued and dauntingly clever. At first reluctant to agree to an arranged marriage, she changes her mind when she meets elegant 48-year-old Cristoforo, who is well-versed in art and literature. He promises to give her all the freedom she wants-and she finds out why on her wedding night. Her disappointment and frustration are soon overshadowed by the growing cloud of madness and violence hanging over Florence, nourished by the sermons of the fanatically pious Savonarola. As the wealthy purge their palazzos of "low" art and luxuries, Alessandra gives in to the dangerous attraction that draws her to a tormented young artist commissioned to paint her family's chapel. With details as rich as the brocade textiles that built Alessandra's family fortune, Dunant (Mapping the Edge; Transgressions; etc.) masterfully recreates Florence in the age of the original bonfire of the vanities. The novel moves to its climax as Savonarola's reign draws to a bloody close, with the final few chapters describing Alessandra's fate and hinting at the identity of her artist lover. While the story is rushed at the end, the author has a genius for peppering her narrative with little-known facts, and the deadpan dialogue lends a staccato verve to the swift-moving plot. Forget Baedecker and Vasari's Lives of the Artists. Dunant's vivid, gripping novel gives fresh life to a captivating age of glorious art and political turmoil.

Journal Entry 2 by gnissorckoob at Nine Mile Pond in -- Parks (state and national), Florida USA on Saturday, January 19, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (1/19/2008 UTC) at Nine Mile Pond in -- Parks (state and national), Florida USA

RELEASE NOTES: Everglades National Park, 9 Mile Pond, on a picnic table

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, January 26, 2008

I found the book during my vacation in the US on a picnic table in the Everglades National Park. I take it with me on my fly back to Germany. Now I will read it and I will leave it somewhere in Germany.

CAUGHT IN NINE MILE POND IN EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK FLORIDA USA