corner corner Gibbon's Decline and Fall

Gibbon's Decline and Fall
by Sheri S. Tepper | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on Sunday, December 30, 2007

status (set by Kemppu): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, December 30, 2007

This is a wonderfully speculative fictional tale about fundamentalism that is sweeping the world. Suicide cults and paranoid militias are on the rise. A group of five female friends prepare to stand against a power-hungry presidential candidate...

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Friday, November 27, 2009

This book is going travelling to find a new home with Thalasse in Finland!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, November 27, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (11/27/2009 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Off by mail to Thalasse. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingThalassewing from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The book arrived here just before Christmas - thank you for the present, judygreeneyes! :-) I'll look forward to reading it, I have read it ages ago and I remember it was good.

Edit. 5/2010: Wah, I devoured the book right after Christmas and enjoyed very very much. So much that I apparently forgot to make an entry about it. :-) I love the way Tepper deals with motherhood and feminity. Sometimes you need an outsider point of view to really see.

Journal Entry 5 by wingThalassewing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, February 26, 2012

I kept this book on my permanent collection, but I just won another copy of it in a raffle -> I can let this one go on a journey seeking new readers. A really recommendable novel. I love the subtle speculative element and the open ending.

Journal Entry 6 by wingThalassewing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland

I'll give the book to a fellow Bookcrosser. I hope you will enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Thank you for the book! It's actually in my wish list, because I'll welcome any book by this author.

Journal Entry 8 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Friday, July 25, 2014

Like The Gate to Women's Country, this book got really interesting only about halfway through, but then it was really really interesting and absolutely rewarding read to the end. The story could have been even better if it was shorter, especially at the first half of the book, but I did enjoy most of the things in the beginning, too. I liked the friendship of the different women and the explanations given to the sexism and subordination of women in the world (which I'm sick and tired of) and the ways it was fought.
A major SPOILER following, so I'll write this one in white. Highlight the area below to read it.
I wonder where the idea of lizard people, which Sophy and her people turned out to be, comes from. I've read or seen this idea before, most notably in the tv series Doctor Who, where there are lizard people called Silurians living mostly underground. However, I'm sure the idea is not originally from either the book or Doctor Who.

Thank you for the book, Thalasse and judygreeneyes! I'll continue reading Sheri S. Tepper's books in the future, too.

Journal Entry 9 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hi Kemppu - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have read all of her books. You might enjoy The Fresco, or The Companions.

Journal Entry 10 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Making a journal entry before releasing the book...

Journal Entry 11 by Kemppu at Museokeskus Vapriikki in Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (9/21/2014 UTC) at Museokeskus Vapriikki in Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland

At the space between the front doors of Museum Centre Vapriikki, where I was seeing some exhibitions today.