corner corner Fifteen Days: Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army

by Christie Blatchford | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by deereads of Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 30, 2007

status (set by CynthiaRichard): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by deereads from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 30, 2007

From the Publisher:
Long before she made her first trip to Afghanistan as an embedded reporter for The Globe and Mail, Christie Blatchford was already one of Canada’s most respected and eagerly read journalists. Her vivid prose, her unmistakable voice, her ability to connect emotionally with her subjects and readers, her hard-won and hard-nosed skills as a reporter – these had already established her as a household name. But with her many reports from Afghanistan, and in dozens of interviews with the returned members of the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry and others back at home, she found the subject she was born to tackle. Her reporting of the conflict and her deeply empathetic observations of the men and women who wear the maple leaf are words for the ages, fit to stand alongside the nation’s best writing on war.

It is a testament to Christie Blatchford’s skills and integrity that along with the admiration of her readers, she won the respect and trust of the soldiers. They share breathtakingly honest accounts of their desire to serve, their willingness to confront fear and danger in the battlefield, their loyalty towards each other and the heartbreak occasioned by the loss of one of their own. Grounded in insights gained over the course of three trips to Afghanistan in 2006, and drawing on hundreds of hours of interviews not only with the servicemen and -women with whom she shared so much, but with their commanders and family members as well, Christie Blatchford creates a detailed, complex and deeply affecting picture of military life in the twenty-first century.

Journal Entry 2 by deereads from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I really enjoyed this book - the "relationship" stories were very emotional for me and touching (stories from/about wives, parents, friends). I have always enjoyed Ms. Blatchford's writing and found this lived up to my expectations and surpassed them.
Taking to our local meetup tonight to pass on to someone else.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaggiemuffetwing from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 30, 2008

received at bookcrossing meet-up, will loan to brother-in-law and pass along to another bookcrosser after he is done with it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaggiemuffetwing at 27 Sawmill Road, apartment building in Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/1/2012 UTC) at 27 Sawmill Road, apartment building in Barrie, Ontario Canada

Never found the time to read this, so releasing for Canada Day Challenge.

Journal Entry 5 by CynthiaRichard at Barrie, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 02, 2012

I received this book today from Maggie Muffet.

Journal Entry 6 by CynthiaRichard at Laundromat on Bryne Dr. Barrie in Barrie, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 07, 2014

Released 6 mos ago (4/7/2014 UTC) at Laundromat on Bryne Dr. Barrie in Barrie, Ontario Canada

Our Canadian military people go through a lot I wish them much luck.